Nevada Big Game regs

NDOW also updated their bonus point data. Now you can see your real chances at drawing tags since they are showing the data for all five hunt choices. It's kind of disheartening!

One cool thing though is that Nevada is going to a 365 day license like Utah. So you can apply next year on this year’s license if you time it right.

That's not exactly true. I had a current license and tried to apply for the turkey draw. Since that license would not be valid at the time of the draw I was forced to buy a new license. Maybe it will be different for the big game draw, but I doubt it. Another dandy move, they will charge you $5 to ship a printed license to you but you can print it off for free or download and have it on your phone..... I'm not liking everything about this new vendor.

That's not exactly true. I had a current license and tried to apply for the turkey draw. Since that license would not be valid at the time of the draw I was forced to buy a new license. Maybe it will be different for the big game draw, but I doubt it. Another dandy move, they will charge you $5 to ship a printed license to you but you can print it off for free or download and have it on your phone..... I'm not liking everything about this new vendor.

Ya I'm not real crazy about it either. It saves a little dough if you plan on getting all the stamps anyways though. They need to re instate the standard expiration date.

NDOW also updated their bonus point data. Now you can see your real chances at drawing tags since they are showing the data for all five hunt choices. It's kind of disheartening!

Nevada is another state I see as a prime candidate for a draw system overhaul. Publishing these true odds will only accelerate that. The squared point deal sounds fair, but ultimately it discourages new applicants from jumping in. And it gets exponentially worse each year. Consequently, I've been trying to burn my points before they get devalued, but to no avail. I pick all low to mid tier hunts but the odds are still so low with 20+ points I can't draw. I have several friends who now won't even consider starting from the ground floor due to the number of points ahead of them. I don't blame them. I'd do the same thing if I were them.

Last edited:

Man is that not a true statement. My God those sheep odds are terrible. I knew they where bad but shew weee!!!! I've got better odds of a power ball winning and just buying a governor tag. Hahahahaha

By reading the new bonus point data I discovered that someone drew 1 of the 5 desert bighorn tags in one of the areas I apply for with ZERO bonus points as their 3rd choice. So anything is possible.

Always that chance. Which is why I apply. What really gets interesting is when you add the squared point totals and figure odds. I was checking them on topruts site.

By reading the new bonus point data I discovered that someone drew 1 of the 5 desert bighorn tags in one of the areas I apply for with ZERO bonus points as their 3rd choice. So anything is possible.

That's unbelievable I'd love some luck like that

One cool thing though is that Nevada is going to a 365 day license like Utah. So you can apply next year on this year’s license if you time it right.

So is this true or not? I know the license is a 365 day license now, but can you span 1 license over 2 application periods? I have read through the regs and I can’t find anything that specifically says if the license has to be valid on the draw date or just valid on the application deadline date.

So is this true or not? I know the license is a 365 day license now, but can you span 1 license over 2 application periods? I have read through the regs and I can’t find anything that specifically says if the license has to be valid on the draw date or just valid on the application deadline date.

For what it’s worth, I spoke with someone at the Huntin Fool about this the other day. They said that their conversations with NDOW haven’t provided a definitive answer yet. Apparently, the answer to that question is still up in the air.

I guess I should say that I heard this from a friend who's a long-time Nevada resident, who heard it from someone with NDOW. This guy is not a BSer, but maybe he got bad information. I haven't read anything in the official literature, so I suppose it up in the air. Would be great though.

I seriously doubt NDOW would award a tag to someone who doesn't have a valid hunting license at the time of the drawing. I would think the same would be true of bonus points. Even if you timed it right so you drew a tag just barely still valid at drawing time, you would still need to buy a new license to have during hunting season. So I don't see what the big deal is about trying to cover 2 application periods with one license.

I really wish I could justify applying to Nevada, but with the point system they have, I just can't do it. When I see what my odds are now and what they will be 5 years from now there is just no way I can justify the money. It's too bad because I'd love to hunt there someday.

I seriously doubt NDOW would award a tag to someone who doesn't have a valid hunting license at the time of the drawing. I would think the same would be true of bonus points. Even if you timed it right so you drew a tag just barely still valid at drawing time, you would still need to buy a new license to have during hunting season. So I don't see what the big deal is about trying to cover 2 application periods with one license.

You are probably right, but other states allow this so it wouldn’t be unusual if they allowed it. The big deal is that if it takes me 30 years to draw an elk tag and I only have to buy 15 licenses; round numbers on the conservative side since license fees will most definitely go up, 15years x $150= $2250 in license fees saved. That’s the big deal.

I really wish I could justify applying to Nevada, but with the point system they have, I just can't do it. When I see what my odds are now and what they will be 5 years from now there is just no way I can justify the money. It's too bad because I'd love to hunt there someday.

Agreed. But it’s just a matter of time until you see NV do the same thing as AZ. They will split the tags 50/50 and make half random or bonus to pull in fresh ground floor coin. No question about that. Just a matter of time. Because that’s what states (except NH & IA) do when there are no rules. Maybe then NV will lure you in.

Last edited:
Went on NDOW's site today and putting up with what has to be nothing but a PIA I have decided not to apply for any hunts in this state ever again and I am a resident.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back