Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Magnetospeed

With the magnetospeed attached, I see About 2 1/2 inches high on my AR-10 and about 8 inches low on my rem 700. Its a tool like anything else and you just need to figure out how you will use it and then decide if it's right for you

For me and my style of load development, it's the best choice without breaking the bank.

No need for a 600 dollar chrono. Most guys don't use one to identify pressure or hot loads anyway. Shoot for groups, then for velocity over the chrono you have. Hell, I developed loads for my RUM back in 2000 without a chrono or load data. A little common sense goes a long way. mtmuley

I agree you don’t need a high end chrono. But there are all kinds of expenses in our hobbies we don’t need. If you want to chase velocity nodes as a dev approach I was sharing how the magnetospeed comes up short. But as muley points out there are many ways to skin a cat.

With the magnetospeed attached, I shoot About 2 1/2 inches high on my AR-10 and about 8 inches low on my rem 700. Its a tool like anything else and you just need to figure out how you will use it and then decide if it's right for you

For me and my style of load development, it's the best choice without breaking the bank.

I agree you don’t need a high end chrono. But there are all kinds of expenses in our hobbies we don’t need. If you want to chase velocity nodes as a dev approach I was sharing how the magnetospeed comes up short. But as muley points out there are many ways to skin a cat.

Was never a fan of the Magnetospeed. If I could justify a Labradar, I would probly jump as it is the current tech. Kids in school and other stuff relegate me to my old fashioned chrony. Point is, if you have a chronograph, no matter what kind, learn to use it. Great tool. mtmuley

I did some initial load work up using my chronograph. Only my second time using one so had a lot of issues with false readings and what not.

Also, the factory load I had did better by far than any of my reloads, better than I remember : 3 shot .37 MOA ES velocity 22. But the factory bullet is clearly a little different from the reloading component bullet since the factory bullet as a crimp grove and who knows what else has changed.

My handloads ranged from 1 to 1.5 MOA. Despite my chronograph issues, I was able to see a clean break in velocity where velocity just varied up and down before and after. POI also seemed to break with the velocities somewhat.

But it definitely worked better looking at several factors at once. The relationship between velocity spread and group spread was not perfect for me. For instance on two loads right next to each other I achieved the same 3 shot group (.95 MOA) but one had a velocity spread of 81 and the other 36. But I'm sure if I was able to get my chronograph to work more I would have seen a good relationship overall.

I'm going to take one of my better loads and adjust seating depth through the factory recommended (.05-.08 from the lands) by adjusting from the current .1 to .04 at .01 increments. If this doesn't get the magic <.5 MOA the factory load is getting, I will try to replicate this load (far, far, far from the lands) and go from there.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back