Magnetospeed

Brian in Montana

Doesn't it throw off the harmonics of your barrel?

I have a chronograph, but it sure is a lot of trouble. I've found myself looking at the magnetospeed, but in situations in which I use a chrono, I'm shooting test loads and looking for accuracy as well as muzzle velocity. What say you?

I don't use a chronograph in load development. I develop the load I like and then chronograph it.

Check a couple to see if you’re close to where you want to be then fine tune your load and then verify where you end at.
Typically the rifle will still group with it on the barrel but point of impact will be off a inch or so.

I have a magneto speed and it really messes with groups and point of impact. I've had to go back to developing loads without it and then double back to confirm speed nodes

Should probably add it will affect all rifles differently.
Seems like lighter barrels more than heavier.

I have one and it does change your point of impact, but it does so in a consistent manner. I can reload, check speed, and groupings, when I get a good shooting load and decide that is what I am going to use I just take the magnetospeed off, zero the rifle and I am ready to go.

The new radar stuff may save you a few rounds in having to re-zero, but I haven't used one yet to see how the simplicity of use compares to the magnetospeed.

I mulled the Doppler and the bayonet for a spell when the Chrony decided not to read. But sent the Chrony off and it came back working. I like to know the speeds during development.

The Labradar is very nice; chrono as many shots as you like, no change to grouping or point of impact. However, spendy little tool, good thing my sons went in on one together and let me use it too. I've used the Magneto speed as well and felt it was a good tool. I mainly saw a change to point of impact, so once I had the speed info I'd take it off and zero the rifle.

I'm with Don Fischer.

I do my load development for accuracy.
When i have my load down, then i'll shoot groups through the chrono.

The velocity is what it is. I don't chase after a velocity.

We have and use a magnetospeed all the time , on shotguns rifles and long barreled pistols.
Lead / steel / tungsten shot , lead and copper bullets.
AFTER we find a promising load and check it for accuracy we will check the speed to make sure it will not be dangerous.
You cant sight it in with it on , but why would you ????
I also hear a suppresser will change the POI. BUT that's all just CHANGES IT , re sight in.....

Last edited:
I use the magneto all the time. I have found it will change POI a small amounr but have not found it to change group size.

AFTER we find a promising load and check it for accuracy we will check the speed to make sure it will not be dangerous.

Seems bass-ackwards to me. Why wouldn't you want to know if it's dangerous before shooting for accuracy? I shoot my way up to max over a MagnetoSpeed, then if nothing's unusual velocity wise will start checking accuracy. I prefer knowing something is relatively safe before knowing it's relatively accurate.

When I had an Oehler I'd shoot multiple rifles and multiple load charges at the same target through it. I did that to maximize the effort to set it up on a club range. I couldn't tell much about accuracy in that scenario either so went with the MagnetoSpeed for convenience.

I just picked up a Magneto Speed Sporter last week and plan on using it to find the flat spot with RL 26 and 130gr and 150gr in .270 win. Basically I loaded one round each starting at 61.0 and went up in increments by .2, ending at 63.6. That will put me around 62000 for PSI and a top speed around 3270 ( according to quickload.)

Once I find the flat spot ( three subsequent shots that the FPS doesn't go up) then I will go back and load for accuracy with those three charge ranges at my known C.O.L from previous handload work. So accuracy doesn't mean much during the flat spot development.

Then on to the 150gr with the same process.

I have a Beta Master Chrony that I have used in the past to measure the speeds and I look forward to running some loads that I have chrono'd in the past and measuring them against the Mspeed.

Don, isn't MV part of your load development?

I do like velocity to a point. I don't think that even 100fps will really give you an edge though. Let's be clear a 30-06 shooting a 150gr bullet will not kill any more deer at reasonable range than a 30-30 with a 150gr bullet. I have that reasoning because I limit my shooting to about 300yds. All my rifle's sighted in for MPBR at an 8" target will pretty much make 300yds with no or very little holder over. Most my rifles are zeroed at a 6" target. I have only shot at one game animal in my life much over 250 yds, it was 330 yds and I did it just to say I did. Pretty lousy reason to take a shot like that. So drop down to the normal range of a shot, what 200 yds +/-! What difference will a 100fps difference make in fact what difference will 200 fps make? Most people think they need a 500 yd cartridge just in case! Then most of them go out and never see an animal at 500 yds and I suspect those that do wouldn't recognize 500yds if they saw it. I also suspect mostly the long range hunters carry a range finder with them. Seem's to me if the rifle is zeroed to MPBR at an 8" target, it makes a huge difference in how much cartridge you need. Years ago I shot a 7mm Rem Mag and a 338 Win mag. The thinking back then was that magnum's are designed to deliver exceptional power at normal ranges, not normal power at exceptional range. Can't remember who said that, wish it was me!

Lost my head, we were talking about the Magno Speed Chronograph. I don't chronograph loads as I'm working up' Rather I use powder's that give me the best velocity. I do like velocity up around 3000fps, now and then I get more. My 25-06 w/117gr Hornady gives me 3079fps! But first I use cup and core bullet's, none of the premium bullet's other than bonded appeal to me! The bonded's cost to much! Anyway I have always chronographed my loads after I got the load worked up. Beside my Magnospeed I have a Pact MK IV timer with a chronograph function. Be d*mned if I'm going through the trouble setting it up every time I go shoot. Instead find a load I like and then set it up. Now I have the Magnospeed and can use the computer in the Pact to figure out all the trajectory info I need! I don't know for sure but I think that trying to determine pressure with velocity could backfire pretty badly! I use sign's, flat primer with ejector mark is to me to much pressure. Sticky bolt is to me to much pressure. I fine that by watching for the sign's I can actually go over loads in the manuals now and then with no problem. In fact by watching for pressure signs I can use data in one book to load a bullet by another manufacturer.

what about using average velocity deviation in load development??

I don't use a chronograph in load development. I develop the load I like and then chronograph it.

That’s like turning off the lights when you go to wipe your ass and then turning them back on when you’re done to see if you accomplished the job.

I have a magneto speed and it really messes with groups and point of impact. I've had to go back to developing loads without it and then double back to confirm speed nodes

I haven’t found it a problem. I usually chronograph the initial charges. When I find the velocity I want, I go reload more, usually at different COAL’s, and test for accuracy without the magneto on. I might re-chrono again after I’ve settled on a load, or I might not.

The biggest advantage of the magneto is shooting at a range with other people around. It saves a lot of time because you don’t have to wait for the firing line to go cold before you adjust your sky screens. It also doesn’t get high readings in sunny conditions or no readings in low light.

If I had the money and wanted to do it over again, the radar model would surely be the best route though.

That’s like turning off the lights when you go to wipe your ass and then turning them back on when you’re done to see if you accomplished the job.

I started reloading about 1968, we didn't have chronographs back then! Your statement while funny doesn't work for me. Not talking about wiping my butt but developing a good load. A chronograph is not necessary for that unless your goal is gaining velocity! A load at 2700fps that groups under an inch is better, to me, than a load going 3000fps but group's between an inch nd a half and to inch's! I wonder about standard deviation, I've seem some pretty high deviations shoot awful good and what would be called great, shoot not so good. The only real use I have for a chronograph is to figure out trajectory. Then even that doesn't work unless you shoot against it. I have two chronographs, the magnospeed and a Pact MKIV. I don't really need either one to load good ammo!

Back