New elk rifle, need good load for it.

okie_hotrod

I found a good deal on a grey synthetic Browning X-bolt in 26 Nosler and now it's time to find a good elk load for it. I've got 38 pieces of Nosler once fired brass and I'll probably pick up a box of 140gr Accubond factory ammo to sight in the scope so I'll have plenty of brass to get started. What components are y'all having the best luck with? Does anyone have a good starting point for the 140gr Accubonds or the 143gr ELD-X? Thanks in advance.

Nosler has its load data online for free. I've had good luck using their data.

Ditto. I'm new to re-loading but I've also found Nosler's website very helpful. Hodgdon's website has a lot of load data as well and I have an app on my phone called "Reloading Assistant" - pretty good app that gives you access to a lot of data.

The couple of rifles I've shot Accubonds through seemed to like them pretty well. I have yet to settle on a particular load yet, but I'm narrowing a few things down.

I shoot the 140gr Accubonds out of my 270 and they shoot pretty well and with the higher BC and SD of the same bullet in 6.5mm I think it'll be some good elk medicine. I've also heard great thing about the ELD-X so I'll have to try those out too.

I had to go look at the thing. Speed demon! I would be careful which bullet I use in it for big game hunting. There I think would be a candidate for monolith bullet's. Maybe the bonded would work also. That cartridge just has to much velocity for me and I'd worry about tearing bullet's up.

I'll have to look at the twist rate of my rifle but those 137s look nasty. I'm curious though cuz the 300 win mag puts out the 180gr Accubond at close to the same speed but i haven't heard any reports off them failing to hold together. I would think the 140gr Accubond with a higher SD would penetrate better, especially with an extra 100fps.

I'll have to look at the twist rate of my rifle but those 137s look nasty. I'm curious though cuz the 300 win mag puts out the 180gr Accubond at close to the same speed but i haven't heard any reports off them failing to hold together. I would think the 140gr Accubond with a higher SD would penetrate better, especially with an extra 100fps.

The great thing about Hammer is Steve will work with you for heavier bullets if your twist will handle them. I do know however that the 200 grain Accubond holds together well. Even at high velocity, close range impacts. Don't spose the 140 6.5 would be any diffetent. mtmuley

Looks like the X Bolt is a 1 in 8" twist. Steve recommends 1 in 7" for the 137 Hammers, but it's worth calling him to talk about. Good guy to visit with. The 124 Hammer Hunters drive tacks out of my 6.5 ManBun.

I shoot the 143 eldx bullets but have only used them on many deer they get dropped in there tracks but for elk id probably use a barnes ttsx alot tuffer bullet will hold together better i like to shot at point of the shoulder and make the animal 2wheel drive thats why i hunt with a 340 weatherby and a 250 grain bullet going 2960 is bad medicine on any thing

Right on, I originally loaded my 270 with Accubonds for this hunt but I've shot several deer with them at 100-150 yards and in both cases the wound channel indicated good expansion but not what I would consider great expansion. It was almost like they were begging for a tougher target. The deer we have in Oklahoma and Texas are obviously not like the big western mulies but for our deer any traditional cup and core bullet will do the trick which is why I'll probably swap over to the SST in the 270.

That kind of performance gives me a lot of confidence in the Accubonds and I think they'll be up to the task as long as I'm not trying to hit its heart through it's ass, I'll leave that to mtmuley and Dias with their shoulder stomper magnums. Plus I can get the Accubonds 4 blocks from my house.

I really like accubond bullets hit him in the vitals and avoid the front leg bone and ull be fine when i come up to colorado this year i was thinkn of bringing my new 28 nosler thats built for 195 bergers but i dont no now the bergers blow up on deer so im kinda hesitant now i dont like wounding animals and tracking them

Yea, you could always try the 175gr ABLR. At least you're taking advantage of that velocity with a heavyish bullet for the 28

In my 6.5 SAUM I'm using the 140 AB with H1000. Every gun is different, but I've had good luck with AB's in a couple of guns grouping better than higher BC bullets. In my match rifle I'm using ELD Match bullets, if the ELD-X is as accurate as the Match it might be worth a try as well.

I really wanted to build a 6.5 SAUM out of my savage but it was gonna cost close to a grand if I could find all the parts I needed. I basically sold the savage and bought the 26 with almost no money out of pocket.

Looks like the X Bolt is a 1 in 8" twist. Steve recommends 1 in 7" for the 137 Hammers, but it's worth calling him to talk about. Good guy to visit with. The 124 Hammer Hunters drive tacks out of my 6.5 ManBun.
Speed can make up for a bit of lack of twist. The Nosler might just have enough more giddyup for the 8" to work.

That said, at the speeds the Nosler is capable of I too would be looking at bonded, mono, or controlled expansion premium bullets to also include the Partition.

140 Accubond or a copper bullet of some kind.

I’ve thrown Accubonds out of my 7STW with no problems, including elk. Great bullet.

I had to go look at the thing. Speed demon! I would be careful which bullet I use in it for big game hunting. There I think would be a candidate for monolith bullet's. Maybe the bonded would work also. That cartridge just has to much velocity for me and I'd worry about tearing bullet's up.

Seconded. I'd be cautious about the ELD x. I'm sure it would be fine at longer ranges, but a 100 yard shot might blow it up. I'd be thinking about accubonds, Barnes, etc.

absolutely nothing wrong with the old partition,,i use 125 in 6.5,,the sectional density is slightly superior to a 130 in 270 caliber

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back