Wyoming 2 track roads

duckhunt

Going to apply for antelope tags today. Going over some maps doing last minute research before I apply. If I get a paper map from the county, will that show wich 2 tracks are private or public?

Add on question. Once you are on public land via public road does that make the other roads on that piece of land public?

Roads on public land are not always open to public vehicle travel. BLM maps are good for land ownership, but they don't generally show what is open and what is closed. IF the local BLM has conducted a travel management plan, you should be able to get a copy of that plan with some digging on the local BLM field office website (it'll have the details). Most commonly, however, BLM lands are marked open with a sign and you have to go out there and look around to find out.

National forests maps on the other hand give a lot more information about what is open and closed, but they generally only show that detail for forest service lands and BLM wilderness study areas.

I recommend picking up a GPS chip or the onXmaps app so you know exactly where you are on the landscape. You should then get out there a couple days before season and look around to figure out where you can and cannot go.

Contact the Road and Bridge Department in the county for accurate info on which roads are in fact public ones, some ranch roads are named for emergency response.
Usually roads on BLM are open for travel whether marked or not. If they are established roads meaning tracks are readily visible you should be fine driving on them, closed roads would be marked closed.

I don't think a county map will but the BLM maps do show ownership with color shading, I'd start there

A County map is exactly what he needs to find the legal public roads that are maintained by taxpayer money and most are now available right online if you type in the county name and state you want. A BLM map may show state highways and the BLM road numbers if there are any in the County, but BLM maps essentially show what is private, BLM, and state ground and nothing will help you to determine the other legal roads using them.

Last edited:
A county map online may show roads that are not in fact public, they may show ranch roads that have names and are utilized for emergency purposes.
Contact the Road and Bridge superintendent, he or she can tell you which roads are in fact public ones.
The map is a good place to start in identifying roads you may have questions about .
County Roads should have a designation of CR with a number.
Generally the roads on a large tract of BLM will all be public roads, state sections may have 2 tracks also that are not numbered or signed. Stay on the established roads and you should be ok. GW will right tickets for habitat destruction for driving off road on state sections.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back