Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana Deer and Elk Drawing Dilemma

Gerald Martin

It's that time of year again and with the deadline fast approaching I need to make a decision on where to put in for the special draws. I'm not too concerned about choosing my mule deer unit, since I've already got a lock on drawing a tag in a super secret area of western MT that has a good reputation for producing monster bucks while being very easy to draw.

My dilemma springs from a strong desire to better the bull that I killed last year on a special permit. It took me ten years to draw that tag and I really don't want to have to wait that long to kill a really nice bull. 350" is the nice even number that I've set my heart on for a representative bull and I would appreciate being pointed to a unit where I can achieve that in this year's drawing. I think the cost of accruing points over a ten year period is prohibitive so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Anyone who feels the need to post smart aleck, snide comments on this post may certainly do so if if pleases you but please PM me the actual units you suggest I apply for. I do not wish extra competition in the drawing. Also, anyone who feels the desire to give coordinates to the National Bison Range or YNP, please refrain from doing so. That was suggested by a not so helpful person last year and even though I saw plenty of elk while hunting in those places, the stress of barely escaping arrest kept me from being successful and really constrained my enjoyment of seeing so many animals and so few other hunters.

If no one has appropriate suggestions, I would be open to receiving coordinates to Greenhorn's honey holes in the Bridgers that he is so carefully steering other hunters away from or possibly the exact drainage where BuzzH conducts his annual pilgrimage to Montana to kill the last remaining bull in the unit.

Please help me so I am not forced to fill my starving family's freezer in mid-February while the elk navigate thigh deep snow to eat hay from a rancher's haystack.

I'm LMFAO, but I've never hunted MT for elk, so I can't help ya.

Keep swingin' for the bleachers.

You'll probly want to focus all your time on that easy to draw Western Montana muley tag. Shoot a cow. mtmuley

You'll probly want to focus all your time on that easy to draw Western Montana muley tag. Shoot a cow. mtmuley

I can shoot a cow on a Breaks cow permit. I want antlers to look at.

Muleys are easy in that unit. All I have to do is put up a poster and for a small fee people will call me with pics and coordinates of 200" bucks. I'm actually not going to be picky about the mule deer and will settle for a 190". I figure three days should be plenty of time.

It's been an hour since I posted this and still no PM's. I thought this was a helpful place. Please speed up the suggestions so I don't have to raise my level of passive aggression.

I can shoot a cow on a Breaks cow permit. I want antlers to look at.

Muleys are easy in that unit. All I have to do is put up a poster and for a small fee people will call me with pics and coordinates of 200" bucks. I'm actually not going to be picky about the mule deer and will settle for a 190". I figure three days should be plenty of time.

You see the last muley a poster boy killed? Might want to schedule four days for that 190. Cows taste good. mtmuley

You see the last muley a poster boy killed? Might want to schedule four days for that 190. Cows taste good. mtmuley

I never did see a pic. I take it is was a good one.

I agree cows are mighty tasty. It's just that my freezer is still full from last year and I don't want to come across as greedy. I thought it might be too much to ask for a spot to shoot cow in addition to a 350 bull.

LOL yeah par for the course here lately it seems. Hang around I hope you return more than once and post a story of your 350. Good luck Gerald myself I'm skipping deer/elk going straight to a goat/sheep hunt when I draw.

I'm not much help on the 350 bull Gerald as the bachelor group I have been watching for the past few seasons has 4 bulls that are in the mid 340's, it isn't looking good for this year with the harsh winter were having over here that they will go into spring with the fat reserves they'll need to break 350 this year either.

On the mule deer plan you have, I have to say your crazy! There are way better areas than 270 to shoot a 190 muley in under 3 days. For Christ sake go anywhere east of billings before you settle on 270. I suggest region 7 specifically. And if your looking for a true 2 hundy I would look into region 6 specifically. There area within 5 miles of poplar should get you into em, it may however take 6 days to find a true trophy.

If you plan on hiking in 3-5 miles from the roads be prepared to see nothing, to many people doing this imo. Nearly all the good deer will be spotted from the county roads in the area.

GM -
Put in for where we hunted deer last year. Good chance for a bull over 350 there. I've actually seen quite a few in that size range and will be happy to show you a couple spots where we see them regularly.

Bridgers for elk then the Gravellys for a nice secluded quiet away from people hunt. No PM necessary. You can thank me later

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back