Caribou Gear Tarp

Montana Deer Permit - 455 vs. 270

If you go up there, PM me. My folks live in the town just outside of the unit. I will be there in July and definitely would be willing to take a scouting trip. Archery is a great option!

I have spent quite a bit of time in 455. 15+ years ago there were some serious mule deer in there. Now, there are not nearly as many mule deer and finding a buck over 150 would be pretty tough. There are some great whitetail in there and the country is awesome. It is one of my favorite places to be on earth.

Unit 270 without a doubt.

Most mature whitetails in 455 run about 110-130. The two in this post are very representative of what most will find.

About every fourth year a toad whitetail shows up but they are the needle in the haystack.

The Eastman's episode had a 140+ and a 170+ taken on the same afternoon there, after a short bike ride in. Can't be too bad. Terrible draw odds.

The Eastman's episode had a 140+ and a 170+ taken on the same afternoon there, after a short bike ride in. Can't be too bad. Terrible draw odds.

Scored in the dark by a couple uber excited dudes. Not sure I could see 140 or 170 in those. The claimed 170 was the needle in the haystack I spoke of. Prior to 2016, the last smoker whitetail was taken out of the upper camp in 2012. PIG. The claimed 140 buck looked just like jls in this post. 140??

Whitetail prairie is A short 6-7 miles behind closed gate.

Hunt the Bitterroot on your general imo.

Saw a pic of a recent winterkill muley from there, 200+ with ease. Can't be too bad. I'd pick 455 over 270, any day, but to each their own.

4E328DB5-F8DD-4D62-9EB1-7AA55DFA8D20.jpg

Last edited:
It got my attention...and I'm gambling 12 NR deer points for the 455 tag.

I've fished over there since I was about 8 years old and always liked the looks of that country...and I'm about over the chit odds in the 'root.

Saw a pic of a recent winterkill muley from there, 200+ with ease. Can't be too bad. I'd pick 455 over 270, any day, but to each their own.

View attachment 81078

Agree - each to their own. What a buck greenhorn!

Winterkill - yes, that buck moved into that area from the Sterling or Sieben ranch. It is the winterrange for those critters. Great area to hunt deadheads but so busy during hunting season. Idk

Unit 455 is very small and very, very packed with hunters. That buck was no where near 455 during hunting season imo. He would be dead. Just too many eyeballs in there and the regulars camp in there all season, know each other and talk.

One year we got enough snow to push them in and it is a sight to see. From a few muleys to hundreds of muleys in one huge snow event over a couple days. They will pile in off those huge ranches that dont allow hunting. If you get that kind of weather it can be great but it is very low in elevation overall.

Good luck to you guys in the draw!

Aren’t all the deer and elk hunters required to have permits there? Surprised it’s so “crowded”.

I only know one guy whose hunted elk there. I boiled the skull for him. It was a giant heavy bull in the 360s.

Is the 455 bull elk permit as good as the 339 sieban permit? Have seen piles of xxl sets of antlers from there. Can’t be bad hunting, at all.

Aren’t all the deer and elk hunters required to have permits there? Surprised it’s so “crowded”.

I only know one guy whose hunted elk there. I boiled the skull for him. It was a giant heavy bull in the 360s.

Is the 455 bull elk permit as good as the 339 sieban permit? Have seen piles of xxl sets of antlers from there. Can’t be bad hunting, at all.

I have a friend who always puts in for the cow tag there, and has had the bull tag a couple times. Like mentioned above it is a tiny area, largely open, with a few main access points.

30 deer tags
65 bull tags
250 cow tags

Lots of horses and bikes and folks and waiting on weather as I understand it. I think it would be a real fun deer tag to have.

I wouldn't hesitate to hunt the 455 tag. I know of a couple slammer whiteys that have been shot in there that last several years. As far as elk go, I'd say 339 and 455 are a toss up. Either one could produce a great bull, but 455 may be a little more reliant on weather.

The 455 bull tag is better then 339 top end quality imo. I would not do it without horses.

No doubt the deer tag is fun but you veterans will be disappointed in the top end quality.

The fwp range manager, Chuck, who is first in and last out every year told me I was crazy to pass up the buck I harvested. It scored 177 gross. If you kill a 180+ buck in there you are doing very well.

I see 200” harvest photos out of unit 270 every year. Show me one 200” (killed during hunting season) out of 455 in the last five years.

Unit 455 has a harvest book. You are required to document any animal harvested. FWP has trail cameras all over the unit. It is packed with people. Only one road in, one road out. You can’t sneak a 200” buck out of 455 without the whole world knowing it.

You will see 5-10 horsebackers every single day. 20-30 per day for the busy periods. Plan on it. Those private ranches give a guy the possibility to kill a giant but recent history says it is a better kids hunt then a once in a lifetime trophy hunt.

I have known people with the tag the last 6 years and either helped them or followed closely. Zero bucks went over 180” and most of these guys are hard core. The one long legged bugger can walk the entire unit in two days. There is a reason you can only camp in designated areas.

Good Lord if Buzz draws this tag we shall never hear the end of how horrible MT manages game. Just trying to save some heartache :)

Here is the upper camp 3 days before opening day. If I turn the other direction you would see 10 more wall tents stacked together like an Alaskan airstrip. There are two more areas just as full. No joke.
6E4AFC94-35ED-4382-AB88-55BCA5CE9B47.jpg

Hike into Manns gulch if you draw.
CCAC0E92-D3F5-4022-A6AC-796A5BFA35B6.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I may have to consult with the Eastman's MRS (aka The Bible) to really determine which blue chip unit is superior.

I know the best muley unit and I'm not telling anyone. Not even Eastman's.;) mtmuley

If ones goal is merely inches, 455 will disappoint you. If someone walks the whole unit in 2 days I guarantee you they didn’t do much hunting along the way.

The 455 bull tag is better then 339 top end quality imo. I would not do it without horses.

No doubt the deer tag is fun but you veterans will be disappointed in the top end quality.

The fwp range manager, Chuck, who is first in and last out every year told me I was crazy to pass up the buck I harvested. It scored 177 gross. If you kill a 180+ buck in there you are doing very well.

I see 200” harvest photos out of unit 270 every year. Show me one 200” (killed during hunting season) out of 455 in the last five years.

Unit 455 has a harvest book. You are required to document any animal harvested. FWP has trail cameras all over the unit. It is packed with people. Only one road in, one road out. You can’t sneak a 200” buck out of 455 without the whole world knowing it.

You will see 5-10 horsebackers every single day. 20-30 per day for the busy periods. Plan on it. Those private ranches give a guy the possibility to kill a giant but recent history says it is a better kids hunt then a once in a lifetime trophy hunt.

I have known people with the tag the last 6 years and either helped them or followed closely. Zero bucks went over 180” and most of these guys are hard core. The one long legged bugger can walk the entire unit in two days. There is a reason you can only camp in designated areas.

Good Lord if Buzz draws this tag we shall never hear the end of how horrible MT manages game. Just trying to save some heartache :)

Here is the upper camp 3 days before opening day. If I turn the other direction you would see 10 more wall tents stacked together like an Alaskan airstrip. There are two more areas just as full. No joke.
View attachment 81099

Hike into Manns gulch if you draw.
View attachment 81100

Now I'm hoping I don't draw 455 this year.

Did anyone hit 455 for the opener yesterday? I took my wife for a good hike in there since she had never been there and I figured she would enjoy the scenery. We covered 14 miles and picked up a couple deer sheds is all. I did see one guy pick up a slammer deadhead whitetail, but nothing of any size for elk sheds.

Oh, and 4 rattlesnakes throughout the day....I could go without seeing another one of those this year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back