Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana Deer Permit - 455 vs. 270

C_Dick_Run

Hey all,

Although I'll be perfectly content hunting with my general deer tag every year, I still give it a shot in the lottery, and hope to draw a big-time permit at least once. So of course I started out going after the legendary 270 mule deer permit. After looking into it a little more I came across 455-60, the Beartooth WMA tag. The reason I'm curious is the FWP Hunt Planner shows whitetail distributed throughout that unit, with a 55%/45% WT/MD harvest ratio. I'm from the midwest originally, so a 150" whitetail gets me more jacked up than a 180" mule deer. Please don't hate me for saying that ;) Anyone ever hunt this unit or have any info/advice on the opportunity there for a mature WT? Thanks in advance.

cant u hunt there with a general tag for whitetail?

Yes in unit 270.

Need the special permit to hunt with a rifle in 455 for either WT or MD.

I've heard from people that have hunted it, that there are some great whitetail bucks to be had in 455.

I drew the 455-60 permit last year. Great hunt. A lot of elk hunters on horses, plenty of deer. I didn't see any mulies worthy of a general tag. I did harvest a nice WT and am very sure that there are much bigger in there. If you manage to draw the permit feel free to PM me and I will be happy to share what I know.

Need the special permit to hunt with a rifle in 455 for either WT or MD.

I've heard from people that have hunted it, that there are some great whitetail bucks to be had in 455.

Yes to both of these.

odds of drawing that are long... I applied last year, and was thinking it would be more of a whitetail hunt. I haven't taken a whitetail since 2002 so that would have been fun. good luck, you'll need it to draw that

A buddy of mine pulled the 455 tag a couple of times in the past decade, and I went out with him occasionally. Really cool area—a lot of history with respect to the Mann Gulch fire from
the 1950s. Anyway, I’d echo what others have said—decent mule deer, but potentially better whitetail. Good number of critters running around from what I remember.

Seems to me that there is pretty good whitetail hunting with a general tag in western Montana. I think a person can find a 140 class whitetail with an A license if they put in the time. Big mule deer are a lot harder to come by in this part of the state.

I have had two friends that have drawn the 455 tag and both were very dissapointed in the size of bucks they saw. One friend was looking for a big muley and never filled his tag and the other shot a whitetail that was in the 120's. They both said they saw plenty of deer but no big ones. (they dont get big by being dumb though. lol)

IMG_7361.jpg

This is the buck that I eluded to in my earlier post! Shot 11/12/17 in 455. Like I stated earlier, definitely larger bucks in that unit, but this guy was a brute in person and I never regretted harvesting on a nearly once in a lifetime NR permit!

You can hunt 455 archery WT on a general tag I think. I've never seen a big Mule deer there but they do kill some and find some deadheads that are uber-impressive. There are loads of elk hunters but an incredibly fun deer hunt. I've often thought this would be the greatest public land deer hunt for a kid in existence, glassable, stalkable, and very pretty.

Those are very nice bucks, but again I think you can do that well in a general area on the western side of the state if you put in the time.

You can hunt 455 archery WT on a general tag I think. I've never seen a big Mule deer there but they do kill some and find some deadheads that are uber-impressive. There are loads of elk hunters but an incredibly fun deer hunt. I've often thought this would be the greatest public land deer hunt for a kid in existence, glassable, stalkable, and very pretty.

I’ve thought the exact thing—I’ve put my sons in for this tag for years for those reasons. Close to where we live and lots of deer for a kid to chase. Unfortunately, neither has pulled it, and my oldest is off to Missoula this fall (put him in for 270 this year).

Those are very nice bucks, but again I think you can do that well in a general area on the western side of the state if you put in the time.

You're probably right. I put in for permits for the quality of the hunt, which is not necessarily reliant upon the size of the trophy.

With being able to hunt whitetail in dang near the whole state on a general tag, I'd apply for one of the premium mule deer units, and hunt the whiteys in a good area if I didn't draw. mtmuley

A couple thoughts-

I've been lucky enough to hunt whitetail in some really good times and places on public land in Montana. I've been picky and been able to tag some pretty good bucks. One thing I've learned is that killing a 130-140" class buck is obtainable. Finding one that next notch up is a real chore. Knowing there's a chunk of public out there that has those type of deer is pretty tempting.

I have never been on a chunk of land that has screamed "hunt me" more than the Beartooth WMA.

I completely understand why the odds are so low for that tag.

The main difference between the Beartooth and most general units in my opinion is when, not if!!! I will add though that if one does not like seeing other hunters, skip it. Loads of elk hunters, horses, trailers and wagons. With all of that said, I love the unit for the simple fact that it is fun knowing that any second a monster could appear!!!

Thanks everyone for your insight, much appreciated. Jesnoc & JLS, those are some fine WT bucks. I'm thinking I may have to sneak up there for opening weekend of archery with my general deer tag before the elk really get going and see what it's all about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back