Over 100,000 comments go missing on Sage Grouse plan rewrite

Could those comments be the ones that were submitted for people without their knowledge?

There seems to be a lot of shady crap happening on both sides of these type of issues.

Could those comments be the ones that were submitted for people without their knowledge?

There seems to be a lot of shady crap happening on both sides of these type of issues.

No. These were comments sent by individuals that were somehow discarded by the BLM's program set up to count them. It may be an server error, but those comments were sent by individuals who had an expectation of transparency and honesty in their public servants. The BLM has acknowledged that their system isn't working as it should, and they are looking at how to fix it. Until then - over 100,000 Americans were denied their voice in public land management.

What happens if the original comments can't be retrieved? Will they open it up to public comment again? I'd write again.

Lots of sportsmen took the time to comment on the grouse plans, only to have their voices conveniently lost.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...19ac830fb047655a06b95/?utm_term=.7be3a9dc92c5

Meanwhile, Industry seems to have no issues getting their voice heard:

https://psmag.com/environment/doi-oil-and-mining-meetings

The BLM has acknowledged that their system isn't working as it should

So it's nefarious until proven otherwise....are you sock puppet'ing mfb99 today? (smile icon)

Last edited:
Altogether, roughly 267,000 individuals submitted comments to the Interior Department’s Bureau of Land Management at the behest of about 20 environmental groups, they say.

So there is no proof that the 267,000 comments were actually submitted, why don't we start with proving that that many were actually submitted and that there are actually missing comments before we start demanding an explanation from the BLM?

The truth is that without proof that that many comments were actually submitted I can't believe that anything is missing and it's certainly obvious that you can't expect the BLM to be able to explain why they're missing if they never existed. I suspect that this is the actual point of this story, making a false accusation that can be used to make the administration look bad.

So there is no proof that the 267,000 comments were actually submitted, why don't we start with proving that that many were actually submitted and that there are actually missing comments before we start demanding an explanation from the BLM?

The truth is that without proof that that many comments were actually submitted I can't believe that anything is missing and it's certainly obvious that you can't expect the BLM to be able to explain why they're missing if they never existed. I suspect that this is the actual point of this story, making a false accusation that can be used to make the administration look bad.

The groups are resubmitting those comments & Interior will accept them.

They exist, the record of them exists because there are several programs that track these comments for NGO's, and the BLM is essentially admitting they screwed up.

Whether or not Interior actually listens to what the people are saying rather than simply go along with whatever industry wants is another issue entirely.

Maybe should have read the follow up article posted in the post before yours.

"The Bureau of Land Management confirmed claims from environmental groups that many of their public comments were not included in a recent report on federal plans to revise sage grouse management in the West."

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back