Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Who uses an AR style rifle for hunting?

• Thread starter Guest member 25165
  • Start date
Originally bought mine AR-15 for work and carried it in my patrol car. I also shot it in some high power matches and have used it for prairie dogs and coyotes. Never hunted deer with it but it would work if I chose to use it. I'm sure most everyone here may have heard of some guy using something that just didn't make sense to them. Well it only needs to make sense to the guy using it, your opinion really doesn't matter. Well that's my opinion about this subject lol.

Hunted everything from squirrel to deer to hogs. Great guns if set up right and so many options you can install to personalize it to your taste and needs.

My Ar, Colt LE6920 is freaky accurate. I have never hunted with it. I suppose I would hunt small deer and under with it. My co worker and I tried to concoct about 15 different set ups yesterday on a calculator and manufacturer weights of different components and couldn't find a set up that would compare to the weight savings of a light weight bolt.

Even the DPMS hunter line would come out close to 9+ lbs. I said I wouldn't want to carry that around in a blow down or on steep slopes. Now if I was on a big clearing and not too far from a truck why not? My buddy has an AR-10 built for long range and can damn near rapid fire at 800 yards on a 24 inch target haha. So I think they are definitely accurate enough to do so.

I shoot thousands of rounds a year from an AR15, so I thought I would love hunting with one. I put together a nice little 6.8spc but soon found it wasn’t for me. So much exposed metal was like holding an ice block in cold weather.

The AR platform is a great platform, lightweight, ergonomic, and adaptable for many different users or amount of clothing. The greatest benefit is it is capable of many different chamberings while using the same lower. Personally I’ve used mine on many deer and antelope hunts, the two chamberings I use most are the 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x39. Both of which knock the snot out of deer and antelope at sub 300 yards distances.

I call coyotes with a guy that loves them for coyotes and bobcats. In Oregon you can't use them for big game unless they have a 5 rd magazine. I'm not familiar enough with them to know if they make 5 rd magazines.

I call coyotes with a guy that loves them for coyotes and bobcats. In Oregon you can't use them for big game unless they have a 5 rd magazine. I'm not familiar enough with them to know if they make 5 rd magazines.
They do for the large body cartridges. But a 10 rounder is a flush fit magazine. I put a piece of wood in there to block it for five rounds just like you would for a shotgun. Haven’t had an issue yet, although I have gotten the “ look at that yahoo” type of looks. Doesn’t bother me cause I’m out hunting, who gives a kite on what tool I use.

I'm glad someone got around to mentioning the 6.5 Grendel. I don't own one yet but it will be my next AR build whenever funds allow.

I don't hunt with one because I got started on bolt guns a long time ago. But if I was one of these new "adult onset" hunters I would start with the AR platform.

With an AR-15 lower I'd have three uppers.....
one for home defense, 3-gun competition, coyote hunting and plinking/learning chambered in 5.56...this one would have a ACOG or Burris M-TAC;
one for deer/antelope chambered in 6.5 Grendel...this would be an excellent kids/newbie gun...this one would have a Leupold 2-7 or 3-9;
one for varmints like prairie dogs, rock chucks and ground squirrels chambered in 5.56 or .223.....this one would have the 24" heavy barrel and a big optic..6.5-20

With an AR-10 lower I'd have two uppers......
one for deer/antelope chambered in something like .260...2-7 or 3-9 optic
one for elk/moose chambered in something like .338 Federal....same as the .260

Five uppers, with good suitable-for-use optics, and two lowers.....I'd be equipped for everything save maybe a brown/grizzly bear in AK, and I'm not so sure the .338 Federal wouldn't be bad for that critter (I've never considered hunting brown/grizzly bears....I guess .338 Win. Mag's are used all the time on them so I guess I'd have to watch my distance, but be good to go).

Not to fuel the fire but if my memory serves correctly Brent D is a long range muzzeloading champ. He knows a thing or two about shooting. I do respect what he is saying. I don't care what you hunt with, as long as your good with it. I use an AR for Coyotes frequently. Why? It's super accurate, lightweight, reliable, and easily waterproofed. I put a sandwich bag over the magazine and secure it over the receiver with a rubber band, put a piece of tape over the muzzle, then I just close the dust cover. it keeps most of the moisture out better than a bolt gun. The few times I've called in doubles it works well. Before the second coyote reacts I've got lead headed his way. I have a buddy with a 6.5 Grendal that uses it for deer for the same reasons. Another buddy uses an AR 15 for deer and he does well. I also have a buddy that uses an open sighted 45-110 sharps. He does well to. It's in the shooter. The equipment is secondary. I'm shopping for a new deer rifle and have been tossing the idea of an AR-10 because it is a really good gun.

Last edited:
Not to fuel the fire but if my memory serves correctly Brent D is a long range muzzeloading champ. He knows a thing or two about shooting. I do respect what he is saying. I don't care what you hunt with, as long as your good with it. I use an AR for Coyotes frequently. Why? It's super accurate, lightweight, reliable, and easily waterproofed. I put a sandwich bag over the magazine and secure it over the receiver with a rubber band, put a piece of tape over the muzzle, then I just close the dust cover. it keeps most of the moisture out better than a bolt gun. The few times I've called in doubles it works well. Before the second coyote reacts I've got lead headed his way. I have a buddy with a 6.5 Grendal that uses it for deer for the same reasons. Another buddy uses an AR 15 for deer and he does well. I also have a buddy that uses an open sighted 45-110 sharps. He does well to. It's in the shooter. The equipment is secondary. I'm shopping for a new deer rifle and have been tossing the idea of an AR-10 because it is a really good gun.

His condescending lectures and prejudices have little to do with muzzleload ability or competitions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back