Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

I cry foul!

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

I guess there was some copper in there

Attachments

• 69D852B9-F136-4CE2-AECA-7D420BA9CCA6.jpg
    69D852B9-F136-4CE2-AECA-7D420BA9CCA6.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 647
Gunslick foaming bore cleaner. I tried the standard cleaner and a lot of strokes, but this stuff was pesky. My accuracy had gone way downhill with this gun, and then I noticed how much copper was on the lands near the muzzle. So I got the foaming stuff and let it sit for 15mins at a time, and it still took about 5 applications of it to get it to finally come out. Hopefully my groups shrink back to normal again.

By the way, it was fouled from about 120-150rds of Barnes Vor-TX ammo, which I love the performance of, but I might start shooting a different bullet with less fouling.

120-150 rounds on a factory tube is a lot without cleaning. I'd recommend cleaning it about every 40-50. Use a dedicated copper solvent and a bore guide and coated jag/nylon brush.
Switching bullets more than likely won't change copper fouling much if at all. If the Barnes is shooting good and your happy with performance just know you need to clean the copper out more frequently.

120-150 rounds on a factory tube is a lot without cleaning. I'd recommend cleaning it about every 40-50. Use a dedicated copper solvent and a bore guide and coated jag/nylon brush.
Switching bullets more than likely won't change copper fouling much. If the Barnes is shooting good and your happy with performance just know you need to clean the copper out more frequently.

Good point

Also, if you had shot other bullets before shooting the Barnes, that might have caused you some more copper in the bore. I have read and heard (in numerous places) to completely clean the bore of all copper (from other bullets) before you shoot Barnes. You might have to shoot a couple shots first with the clean bore, but you should notice the accuracy return. After you have finished cleaning with the foamy stuff and think you have all of the copper out, try running a few patches through it with Bore Tech Eliminator. You will be surprised at how much more "blue" comes out. Don't use any brass jags though, it will never seem to come clean because the solvent will be reacting to the brass jag.

Last edited:
Also, if you had shot other bullets before shooting the Barnes, that might have caused you some more copper in the bore. I have read and heard (in numerous places) to completely clean the bore of all copper (from other bullets) before you shoot Barnes. You might have to shoot a couple shots first with the clean bore, but you should notice the accuracy return. After you have finished cleaning with the foamy stuff and think you have all of the copper out, try running a few patches through it with Bore Tech Eliminator. You will be surprised at how much more "blue" comes out. Don't use any brass jags though, it will never seem to come clean because the solvent will be reacting to the brass jag.
That last sentence is important to keep in mind. I've chased my tail before as a result of the jag causing the blue. If the barrel really does foul that bad, I've read nothing but good results from folks using the Dyna-Tek bore coatings in their barrel to help reduce fouling and ease cleaning. It can take more than one application.

I've been sure to not use any copper/bronze brushes. Only the foaming bore cleaner and a bore swab and patches. The copper was definitely visible on each land for the first couple inches of muzzle. I hadn't thought of the mixing of brands causing more fouling than normal, but it could very well be the case. I've experienced the opposite where I shot copper bullets then nosler btips that were all over the place, but once I cleaned, the btips shrunk nicely. I know that this gun had a lot of different types of ammo shot through it, so we'll see what accuracy looks like now that it's clean. I have some underwood 165gr Accubonds that I'm going to try. *fingers crossed*

Thanks for the replies and interest thus far. At this point, it's looking like this barrel will end up being a tomato stake. It's just a factory Remington 30-06, but it's becoming very inconsistent, even with a bunch of variables upgraded. I shot about 15 rounds of Nosler 165gr Accubond at the range and it is still exhibiting the same inconsistent groupings. So far the only consistent thing, is the INCONSISTENCY! Same size groups with A: Factory Stock and Grayboe stock B: Zeiss, Bushnell, and Leupold scopes, C: Factory trigger and Timney Calvin Elite (trigger replaced because it fired when taken off "safe" this season--not Remington's fault, this trigger had some amateur work done to it before I bought it) and D: Barnes TTSX, Federal SGK, Federal ETLR, and Underwood Accubond loads.

And before someone mentions "Nut behind the trigger" ad nauseum, I'm able to print consistent 1 MOA or better groups out of my other rifles I take to the range for these sessions. This one is just beyond hope, I believe. And I need an excuse to buy a new barrel anyways.

So, now it's just going to become a donor action.

You may also want to check your zeros and/or shoot a few fouling shots. Shots from a clean barrel can have a different velocity than a dirty barrel. Neil

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back