Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Deer/Elk Public Access - White Sulphur Springs Area

hodgej12

Hi all! First post, so let me know if I'm doing something wrong. I appreciate all the input and info available here. A couple of buddies and myself are heading to Montana this fall (assuming we draw) for our first time. We are from Indiana and are whitetail fanatics, but have only hunted "west" once in CO last year. We were initially looking at SE MT to hunt deer (since we have virtually no chance of being drawn for elk there with zero pref points), but have recently decided to consider heading further west to where we can hunt a combo in a general unit. We've landed on the White Sulphur Springs area, as it seems there is lots of public land and (relatively speaking) lots of elk. Our thought was to come in mid-Nov to catch deer rutting behavior, while also being able to hunt elk that are recovering in difficult to reach areas (strategy courtesy of Randy's videos), although we've also considered opening week. We aren't looking for record bucks/bulls, but would love to give ourselves a decent shot at a representative muley and/or elk, and while we're at it we'll probably try to grab a bear tag (if that's recommended). We know we likely will come home with several tags, but want to give ourselves the best chance of coming across something we can harvest. It seems we can get into the Castle Mountains and walk several miles back in to get away from some of the pressure, so that is one of our possible plans, but I don't know much about the other areas (Crazy Mountains, Little Belt, Big Belt, etc.). Honestly we're probably more interested in animal density than we are trophy potential at this stage, but we are willing to hunt the rough country away from roads to find the animals. We are not planning to Spike camp, but will hike back to the truck or camper each night. I've read a lot on this site about the access issues in the Crazies, but are there places we can access without risk of being ticketed? Is there a reason not to? Are the Castles a good idea, or Big/Little belts? I'd love any input from anyone with knowledge and/or experience in those public areas. I'm not asking for coordinates of your honey hole, but just whether you think our plan has merit, or whether you think we are missing the mark in any specific parts of our plan. Thanks in advance for any info feedback you'd like to provide!

Jared

Assuming none of you have killed an elk you need to have realistic goals. Success rates on bull elk on public land in Montana is typically 10%. Alot of guys fail to even see an elk there first few hunts. To each their own but if I was a newbie I would consider tagging a cow a huge success. Elk Hunting is nothing like deer hunting. Nothing.

The places you have chosen all have good numbers and lots of hunters that have the same plan as you. Be mobile and willing to hunt harder than you ever have before and you will get an opportunity.

Buy a bear tag. Lots, and lots of bears in that country.

I wouldn't plan on deer hunting right where you are elk hunting. Focus on one for half the trip and the other for the 2nd half of your trip. Enjoy your time in the mountains and good luck. It's addicting!

Assuming none of you have killed an elk you need to have realistic goals. Success rates on bull elk on public land in Montana is typically 10%. Alot of guys fail to even see an elk there first few hunts. To each their own but if I was a newbie I would consider tagging a cow a huge success. Elk Hunting is nothing like deer hunting. Nothing.

The places you have chosen all have good numbers and lots of hunters that have the same plan as you. Be mobile and willing to hunt harder than you ever have before and you will get an opportunity.

Buy a bear tag. Lots, and lots of bears in that country.

I wouldn't plan on deer hunting right where you are elk hunting. Focus on one for half the trip and the other for the 2nd half of your trip. Enjoy your time in the mountains and good luck. It's addicting!

Appreciate the advice. Two of us hunted CO last year and we were lucky enough to bring home two 5x6 bulls. We understand the odds are low, which is why we'll feel more optimistic having 3 tags in our pocket (deer, elk, bear). If I kill one of the three I'll be thrilled. In CO we saw elk and mulies in the same country. Is it the terrain or the style of hunting that you feel will need to be different for elk and deer in MT? Thanks again!

If you filled out in CO I would head back there. Seriously if you had success don't mess with it.

Appreciate the advice. Two of us hunted CO last year and we were lucky enough to bring home two 5x6 bulls. We understand the odds are low, which is why we'll feel more optimistic having 3 tags in our pocket (deer, elk, bear). If I kill one of the three I'll be thrilled. In CO we saw elk and mulies in the same country. Is it the terrain or the style of hunting that you feel will need to be different for elk and deer in MT? Thanks again!

Rarely have I glassed up mature mountain bucks or many deer for that matter while elk hunting the backcountry in that region.

As someone who hunts in the W.S.S. area, I strongly advise against coming the first week of rifle season. Any time after that and you should have far less pressure from other hunters. There are a few good BMA's in the area as well so don't forget about those. Most of the hunting pressure in that area is from weekend warriors, so hunting mid week should be the best for you and your group. My brother came up from Idaho last fall the second week of November and the whitetails were in full rut, he ended up tagging a nice 5x5 that was chasing a doe. Be sure to get OnX maps in either chip form or the App for your phone. Depending on snow levels, you may not be able to access some areas without an atv. hope this helps you with your preparations.

If you filled out in CO I would head back there. Seriously if you had success don't mess with it.

Where we drew required preference points, so we can't hunt there every year. Plus we'd like to have a deer and elk tag and deer tags are harder to come by there.

As someone who hunts in the W.S.S. area, I strongly advise against coming the first week of rifle season. Any time after that and you should have far less pressure from other hunters. There are a few good BMA's in the area as well so don't forget about those. Most of the hunting pressure in that area is from weekend warriors, so hunting mid week should be the best for you and your group. My brother came up from Idaho last fall the second week of November and the whitetails were in full rut, he ended up tagging a nice 5x5 that was chasing a doe. Be sure to get OnX maps in either chip form or the App for your phone. Depending on snow levels, you may not be able to access some areas without an atv. hope this helps you with your preparations.

Thanks ID_deerslayer that is helpful. We've heard that about the pressure opening week and are looking to avoid that. We are planning to get OnX maps - do you know whether that retains GPS signal long after cell signal is lost? I'm assuming it is able to know your location even without cell signal, otherwise it wouldn't be much help in those remote areas.

You will have GPS signal but the map will not load. You have to save different areas of the map you plan to be in while you're out of service. I typically do a large area at the low resolution and then a couple of smaller areas at the highest resolution.

Dont know the crazies. As far as the Belts, i'd think you'd do better in the eastern part of the state for mulies. I have'nt seen many decent mulies on public in the Belts. Can't really say Ive seen big ones on the private, I hunted around W.S. W.S has a lot of private to deal with and the animals also know it. Thats why W.S. was one of the main areas in the state, a few years ago, having the late cow hunts on private. You even see the elk already out on the pivots in Sept., when everyone is up in the forests. They know where they aren't getting harassed. W.S. can get dumped with snow by mid Nov. So be realistic that your going to just walk out several miles to find elk/mulies. Also keep in mind, that certain MT roads get gated off begining of Oct. So the walk you had in Sept. is now 2-3 times as far, unless you have horses. Might want to plan for 3 days in spot for elk and then move to different area for 3 days for mules.

If you are not picky, hunt Deer in SE or Eastern MT for 2 days , get the job done, then head West for Elk. Western Montana's general deer (mule deer) units are faaar from being considered even mediocre. If you can get private access, white-tail hunting in the western part of the state can be great...

I would definitely go back to Colorado. I’ve hunted the exact areas you are looking at and have hunted both states many times.

I hunted the little belts just north of there last year with a couple of my buddies the first week of rifle season. We saw 3 elk at daylight the opening morning at about 1200yards. Then never saw another elk on public land. Saw a fair amount of WT deer, and a few Mullies. We saw tons of elk on the west side of the crazies on private land, and on the east side of the big belts on private land as we were heading home.
We ended up filling our deer tags on WT deer in the block management area around white Sulphur Springs.

The area has high numbers of elk, but it's partly due to how thick it is, and the amount of private land they seek refuge in.

I have never seen so many road hunters in my life, and when we packed in we ran into a ton of people on mountain bikes (and people on 4-wheelers using mountain bike only trails)

We had a great trip and would go again someday, pretty area. if you do go to this area set your expectations very low and you will have a good hunt.

This. I've hunted the area you are referencing 3 times. Wont be back there anytime soon. Saw a few elk, on public, tons of em on private, and the locals almost laugh when you say your not using an outfitter.

Haven't seen a muley over 125 ish in 22 days of hunting.

It's your dollar.

WSS area is a tougher elk hunt on public land than it appears for out of staters. They must all look at the same maps because they always end up in the same places. You'd think I was pulling your leg if I showed you on a map where I see the most elk in those mountains. I think by sheer numbers of elk and sheer numbers of hunters do any elk get killed on public. A lot of locals fill their tag within sight of the highway. You'll see elk. Most will be on private and the ones that aren't are getting to it as fast as they can. That being said, bulls die every year on public land in those mountains, just don't expect to be alone.

You can kill all the 2 year, 3x4 spindley mulie bucks you want. I've only personally seen two bucks in that last 6 years there that were over 160 and they came off of big private. Used to be some good bucks there about 30 years ago.

It's your money, but I wouldn't buy a bear tag for mid-nov.

Best of luck. White Sulphur Springs is still my favorite place to spend the fall.

I have never been there during the rifle but the archery season in busy around those parts. I agree with most that have replied, you won't be alone. Lots of hunters and the elk will be favoring private land. It's not my first choice of MT areas to hunt but you can kill elk there.

What part of Indiana are you from Hodgej12? I would suggest Eastern Montana for Mulies or WT. Far better deer hunting and far fewer people IMO. It seems that no matter where you go in MT you'll run into a crowd of people. From my experience about the majority of them hunt within 1 mile of the road, but there are still a lot of other guys willing to push in deep and you will run into them too. Be prepared to hunt hard on Montana public, i mean stupid hard.

I hunted this area in 2016. I did see elk , mostly on private lands. Passed a pile of chuck bucks forks and some 15" bucks. Only saw one that I would have shot in 10 days of hard pounding. I covered ALOT of timer in the middle of the little belts. I kept thinking deeper farther and hunt harder. The old sign was there , But the elk had moved on towards the private. I like your idea of NOT going for the opener. I feel that it will help you on your deer tag. Not sure on elk.
We killed on 5x6 in the group. Hit me with a Message if your set on this area.

I think in general, Montana is not a state where you can deer hunt and elk hunt at the same time from a location standpoint. There are places it can be done, but really good hunting for both species is tough to come by.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back