Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

How to buy rifle?

Arty

How do I go about purchasing a rifle from an individual that lives out of state? I have never done this before so not sure what I need to do to be legal and assured I get the gun and he gets the money. I know we both need to go through FFL but how does it work? I send money he sends gun? VISA VERSA?

In my experience the FFL doesn't have anything to do with the money. You pay the guy, he ships the gun to your FFL, your FFL runs background check and hands you the gun. If you get into the "I won't pay until I see the gun", but "I won't send the gun until I have the money" dance, that is a whole different problem. Either one of you has to take the trust fall, or you have to find a payment method with a dispute resolution process.

[edit: removed reference to paypal as managing seller/buyer disputes as apparently they have a firearms ban]

Last edited:
The seller can mailed the rifle straight to your FFL. He doesn't need an FFL to mail it for him. I would recommend paying with a cashiers check or money order. Mail it certified mail so the seller signs for it. PayPal is very anti gun. Don't mention anything gun related if using PayPal.
You can google the sellers name and address to verify it's an actual person if you feel the need to.

The seller can mailed the rifle straight to your FFL. He doesn't need an FFL to mail it for him. I would recommend paying with a cashiers check or money order. Mail it certified mail so the seller signs for it. PayPal is very anti gun. Don't mention anything gun related if using PayPal.
You can google the sellers name and address to verify it's an actual person if you feel the need to.

That depends on the state. What state is the OP from? In NY, I would have to have a FFL mail the rifle.

Wouldn't bother me to send the money first. If it's not what it's supposed to be, call the bank and cancel the payment. I wouldn't send the product first though. The bank can't get that back for you.

That depends on the state. What state is the OP from? In NY, I would have to have a FFL mail the rifle.

Not according to the ATF or any amount of Google searching I can do if you're shipping from New York.
Is there a particular law you are referencing?

My son bought an expensive rifle from an unknown/distant seller once and they used an on-line escrow service that was pretty cheap, made everyone more comfortable with the deal.

I have bought plenty of firearms where I sent the money ahead. The firearms where purchased from gun broker and other hunting sites where I was familar with the seller and they had a good reputation and reasonable post counts but I did not have any personal knowledge of them. So far so good, no issues. That said , while I am not wealthy I can afford to loose that money and it wouldn't financially cripple me or effect my hunting what so ever. If it would I would not take the risk and would limit my purchases to face to face transactions which would include local dealers and persons. Bottom line is always check out who you are buying from and manage your risk.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back