Cabelas/Bass pro

Well, that must have stopped on Monday, because they charged me over $18 for the shipping on said Denalis.

must have been a gap between orders...shows free shipping no minimum now. If they haven't shipped give customer service a call and see if they'll hook you up with free shipping.

BTW, another thing I do like is the interchangeability. I ordered some duck boots to wear around the yard off of Cabelas on sale a couple of weeks ago and they are WAY to narrow. Since they have sold out. Instead of the hassel of sending them back and going through the process again Saturday, >after the HT meet and greet right next to BPS< I will be headed over to return them and try find something similar right there.

I like sportsmans over cabelas. When sportsmans was going threw bankruptcy I had to shop at cabelas. To be honest I shop at scheels for gear but buy my ammo and guns at sportsmans.

must have been a gap between orders...shows free shipping no minimum now. If they haven't shipped give customer service a call and see if they'll hook you up with free shipping.

Good advice. I emailed them and Shelly credited me with $18.95. Thanks, I owe you a beer.

Wore the new Denalis all last night in the shop - not exactly a real test, but they do feel mighty good.

When I lived in Grand Junction there was a Sporting goods store, Gene Taylor's. Started by a local family in 1958, it expanded to Gunnison, Crested Butte, maybe Montrose. They had knowledgeable help that had worked there for years. They had a predictable cycle of sales you could plan on. They took care of you on returns/customer service, In short, they were neighbors. They even had a fishing pond for kids @ their main GJ store.

Sportsman's Whorehouse came to town and competed w Taylors on camping/hunting/fishing w big box corporate strategy. Slowly Taylor's succumbed, their local model couldn't compete. For years there was a Hatfield-McCoy conflict between locals who supported Taylors, and the Sportsmans contingent. Finally Taylors folded the tent (PI*) in GJ, a sad day w friends losing jobs after many years w the company.

Moral of the story for me is: Support your local businesses.

There is still a Taylor's in Gunnison, right next to Mario's on Hwy 50. Drop in and show a little love for a homegrown retailer. They will set you up w maps, socks, stove fuel, ammo, and advice.

*PI = pun intended.

Several years ago, i tried BP again after having poor luck with them in the past. I had a want of a high end ultra light trout rod and reel setup for jigging 1/32 oz jigs for fall Browns on a coming up special trip. I found the rod then the reel i wanted and though spendy, bit the bullet and ordered the two separate items. When my outfit arrived, i saw instantly that the reel was a 2500 series, considerably bigger and heavier, not matching the rod i had ordered. I made the trip ok with what i had to choose from at home and sent the rod and reel back with dis-satisfaction as that setup was no good to me.

What bothered me the most was when i called to inquire why was i shipped the oversized reel, the gal said that they were out of stock on the smaller reel so they sent the bigger one and acted as i should like that they did so because "it's a great reel". That didn't sit well with me. Then i asked why i wasn't told that they were out of stock when i made the order and she had no answer. I think i have enough fishing gear now as is to fully outfit several people, no need of ever relying on Bass Pro again for any reason.

No change in utah yet, bass pro is trash. I grew up with bass pro, ill take Cabelas, sportsmans or scheels all day over bass pro. Im worried about the warranties offered through cabelas....

Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop... Were both the same. Both care about customer satisfaction to the point of metric within all aspects of their sales. 5 of 10 w/in ratings = good enough... Grumbling yet still shopping is the name of the game. People complain all they want yet few follow through and do not shop the store. 5 of 10 = cost effective operation. That is why buildings of this sort rate on this basis... Employees on the floor are not "salespeople"... They are stock employees on the floor. Sales is a side aspect of their job.
Same stores setting. Same management metric based operations...
I'll still pop in our Cabela's simply due to convenience. It's in the same area as Discount Tires, etc. Good time filler while they work on the truck tires.
If it was Bass Pro Shop I would do the same. Employees know where what is... Point or occasionally guide you to the item. Stock, stock, display... Service.

I live literally RIGHT behind the Cabela's store in Kalispell, Montana. We already had plenty of great, local stores here before they came in. They may not be the best, but I'm grateful to have the option. One thing they are still doing well is backing up their lifetime guarantee on anything that has their name. I had a very old pack that fell apart on my last hunting trip, so old that it had no item number or name, just "Cabela's" printed on the side. I took it in and they gave me a gift card for the value of the most similar pack style in the store. I was thrilled. They also allowed me to return a Vortex bino harness that malfunctioned after a full season of hunting. I haven't had such great experiences with returns anywhere. They've went above and beyond to help me mount a scope on my new rifle—neither of which were purchased at their store.

Long story short, even though they might not be what they used to be, I'm grateful to have the option to go there and take advantage of what they DO offer. We're in a world that is quickly trying to do away with hunting, and they're on our team. I'm grateful I can take my young boys there to fuel their love for the outdoors, hunting, and fishing. It's their favorite place to go with me.

And on a humorous note, here's a 3 second video that describes most of our experiences with the employees trying to sign us up for the club. [video]https://scontent-lht6-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/042f875b16b701518b2bb833164ceff2/5AAFE8E8/t50.2886-16/23171077_313538365813366_2175685902209122304_n.mp4[/video]

Last edited:
I was on the Bass Pro website last night and they are selling Cabela's coolers now online.

I saw the coolers at Bass Pro the last time I went in there. Also, yesterday I received an email from Cabelas for $1 shipping due to Martin Truex Jr winning this weekend. Bass Pro is his sponsor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back