MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Cabelas/Bass pro

junior88

Anyone notice a change at Cabelas since the Bass pro takeover? Ive noticed a helluva lot more out of stocks here at the Glendale store. I actually grand opened that store in '06 as a second job. I really wanted to get on there full time but it never worked out. I lasted 11 months. I found out today that two people who I had worked and were promoted into Department manager positions were just let go. Bass Pro doesn't have as many mid level managers that Cabelas did. Outside of store managers there's a lot of young kids running the place now. I also read a story that Bass Pro is offering severance packages to a lot of the people in Sydney. Half that town is employed by Cabelas and none of them can sell their homes. I was afraid of this when Bass pro took over. Its really too bad. I'll have a hard time going in there anymore

I've notice a huge change in customer service and deals (especially __% offs) that were given out since Cabela's went they first went public in 2004. From then on it was never again the family store first created by Richard. Now that they were sold to Bass Pro shops, its even gotten worse. I'll still shop at Cabela's over Bass Pro shop any day but their isn't much difference anymore. Its just to bad that the Cabela's brothers just didn't hold on to their family business.

Have BPS here and get good service......I liked the old Cabela's (at least 4 years ago) but the buyout and the mess before that were all on Cabela's. There will always be growing pains. I like Sportsman's here but it is in a shitty part of town and the selection isn't great. I do my gun and ammo shopping at a local shop and do more and more of the other shopping online.

Here in Missoula our changes:

1. Many people were let go. Many of them had been there a while, and new what they were selling. The help I get now is lackluster on the floor. The Customer service is still great.
2. Out of stock stuff, yup. And a cahnging of inventory.
3. No friends and family sale yet announced. They did do the military discount everyday, but they had been doing that anyway here.

Our local store had a law enforcement discount that was excellent. This discount just ended a month ago. I went there the other day to see if they had much in the way of cold weather gear for the kids since we're heading to Colorado next week (they didn't), and also wanted to take a look at a Sako A7 in the flesh while I was there. I was told to take a paper number from their little machine, and then stood there for ten minutes while two employees did nothing but stand around, talk to each other, and occasionally go tell new customers to take a number. I gave up and left without looking at the Sako.

I was in the local Basspro and noticed right inside Cabelas coolers! Go figure.

The worst thing I’ve noticed so far is that I now have to pay sales tax for online Cabelas purchases since we have an physical Bass Pro in Iowa.

This summer I noticed Cabelas was dumping their merch in their rock bottom deals. I scored on some good clothing items. Think I spent around $300 of my own dollars for around $2,000 worth of items.

They got me here in MD too. I have a BP about 5 miles from my house, yet I typically drive 2 hours to a Cabelas if I want something in person. BP is utterly terrible in so many ways.

About 80% of the stuff I buy at Cabela's I have to have shipped to the store. My local store is the smaller footprint so they never seemed to have anything that I need in the store. That being said when I was in there about 6 weeks ago I noticed that there was very little hunting clothing in the store at all. Matter of fact, it was so noticeable that I took a picture and sent it to a friend. It was just a big open spot in the middle of the store.

About 80% of the stuff I buy at Cabela's I have to have shipped to the store. My local store is the smaller footprint so they never seemed to have anything that I need in the store. That being said when I was in there about 6 weeks ago I noticed that there was very little hunting clothing in the store at all. Matter of fact, it was so noticeable that I took a picture and sent it to a friend. It was just a big open spot in the middle of the store.
I assume this is the one in my neighborhood. The selection on so many items is so lackluster that I generally just try to find it online and have it shipped there. It gets a big "meh" from me on most things...

Cabelas has one thing, and one thing only, that draws me into their stores.

Used firearms. I have no interest in the world of new firearms, but there can be some pretty amazing used rifles and shotguns that drift through their doors from time to time. I don't do pawnshops because the signal to noise ratio is so low, but it is a similar concept I suppose.

I assume this is the one in my neighborhood. The selection on so many items is so lackluster that I generally just try to find it online and have it shipped there. It gets a big "meh" from me on most things...

It's the same store. Have you been to the new Gander Outdoors? They have some brands I have never heard of. Lots of boat hardware though.

Have not been to the new Gander. Think I only went to the old twice. Wife's car was totalled in Jan and she just bought a new one. I'm so broke I can't even afford to pay attention if I was to visit those places.

BrentD- That is the one section I always check out. Then again, I do it also from my home with a tablet as well... ;)

The only difference I've noticed at the Missoula Cabelas is that doofuses that work there will not only ask you if you're "finding everything ok", but when you say " yep" they then launch into telling you about the benefits of being a cabelas club member. I had the same kid do that to me 2x in one trip a few months ago. Other than that, I got no prob with them.

As far as being a cabelas club member, I just bought 50 Winchester shell casings yesterday entirely on cabelas points. Just for using my card to gas up my truck and such. I'm good with that too.

The only difference I've noticed at the Missoula Cabelas is that doofuses that work there will not only ask you if you're "finding everything ok", but when you say " yep" they then launch into telling you about the benefits of being a cabelas club member. I had the same kid do that to me 2x in one trip a few months ago. Other than that, I got no prob with them.

As far as being a cabelas club member, I just bought 50 Winchester shell casings yesterday entirely on cabelas points. Just for using my card to gas up my truck and such. I'm good with that too.

I think they get a commission on the credit card deal. I put the down payment of my Tacoma on one a few years ago and it kicked me into the Signature Black membership and the store employees treat you with a different attitude when you go to pay with one. I still have a card but have been demoted to the basic version since I'm down to just a few bucks a month for fuel. I'm transitioning to a mileage card so I can get to Alaska as I think I have just about everything I need from BPS/Cabelas.

Do like the free shipping on orders over 50.00 that Cabelas has adopted since the takeover. I don’t have either store within 100 miles , so I order everything.

Well, that must have stopped on Monday, because they charged me over $18 for the shipping on said Denalis.

Back