Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Idaho Fish and Game Public Comment

I have issues with limiting whitetail hunting opportunities so a few guys can try to create a trophy hunting unit.

I don't mind them not allowing the use of the 2nd tag in that unit. There are 50+ other units you can use a second tag in. I've only hunted it once, but the age class did seem a little low. However, we were in a pretty heavily pressured area.

I don't support shortening the season to Nov 20th.

Supportive of shortening the season for whitetails not limiting the use of second tags in that unit. It has the highest density of deer in the whole state. That being said there are other units a second tag may be utilized in. If objectives are being met why is there a need to limit the use of a 2nd deer tag. Also if your age class isn't what you want, shorten the season and don't let bucks get hunted with a rifle in the rut. I'd be fine with short-range weapon season in Nov.

I have issues with limiting whitetail hunting opportunities so a few guys can try to create a trophy hunting unit.

I see it differently. I think there is no shortage of whitetail opportunity - I support the proposal to not allow 2nd tags to be used in 10a and I do not support the proposal to shorten the season.

My reasoning: I think both of my positions support an increased hunt quality by reducing crowding. I don't care about trophy potential that much.

The 2nd tags are used by a lot of guys who hunt General season mule deer in October, then move north to hunt whitetails later in November. There would be fewer overall hunters in 10a if they disallowed this practice; and my observation is public lands in that unit are getting more crowded every year. They addressed this issue a while back with the creation of Clearwater and/or Regular vs. Whitetail tags.

If they shorten the season, it will almost certainly crunch all the whitetail hunters into that last week of the shortened season. With the longer season, you have guys who try to time peak rut activity, those who hunt around Thanksgiving, and those who hunt after thanksgiving. Shorten the season, and instead of spreading hunters out everyone will flock in from Nov 10-20...combine that with 2nd tag holders coming in...going to get even more crowded.

I'm friends with a local there and he's been bitchin' about the decline in quality for years. I don't see it as an problem. I was a little more surprised at the Wiser River elk herd recommendations. I hadn't been paying attention and didn't realize they added an antlerless option on the A-tag.

I see it differently. I think there is no shortage of whitetail opportunity - I support the proposal to not allow 2nd tags to be used in 10a and I do not support the proposal to shorten the season.

My reasoning: I think both of my positions support an increased hunt quality by reducing crowding. I don't care about trophy potential that much.

The 2nd tags are used by a lot of guys who hunt General season mule deer in October, then move north to hunt whitetails later in November. There would be fewer overall hunters in 10a if they disallowed this practice; and my observation is public lands in that unit are getting more crowded every year. They addressed this issue a while back with the creation of Clearwater and/or Regular vs. Whitetail tags.

If they shorten the season, it will almost certainly crunch all the whitetail hunters into that last week of the shortened season. With the longer season, you have guys who try to time peak rut activity, those who hunt around Thanksgiving, and those who hunt after thanksgiving. Shorten the season, and instead of spreading hunters out everyone will flock in from Nov 10-20...combine that with 2nd tag holders coming in...going to get even more crowded.
I had to reread your comments regarding shortened seasons and the use of second tags in Unit 10a relative to the issue you've raised concerning overcrowding on public lands. In a unit which is overwhelmingly private, with little Forest Service or Corps of Engineers land, the impact of current regulations is barely negligible. In a state with an expanding human population and limited public lands, overcrowding is inevitable and unpreventable. Any whitetail hunter seeking "peace and solitude" or his own 'private Idaho' might be better off hunting Unit 10 or 12. And good luck finding it.

Last edited:
I had to reread your comments regarding shortened seasons and the use of second tags in Unit 10a relative to the issue you've raised concerning overcrowding on public lands. In a unit which is overwhelmingly private, with little Forest Service or Corp. of Engineers land, the impact of current regulations is barely negligible. In a state with an expanding human population and limited public lands, overcrowding is inevitable and unpreventable. Any whitetail hunter seeking "peace and solitude" or his own 'private Idaho' might be better off hunting Unit 10 or 12. And good luck finding it.

Unit 10a is ~50% public land. Its also a popular unit (3rd most deer hunters of any single unit in the state in 2017)...I agree these regulations won't impact the private lands hunting, but for public land hunters in this unit, shortening seasons and/or allowing 2nd deer tag holders does have an effect on crowding for the public lands on this unit. I think everyone has a higher quality hunt if we spread hunters out...don't allow 2nd tags to be used there and keep season dates long. These are common sense solutions to address overcrowding...it is not an inevitable or unpreventable scenario...it can be managed.

With certainty almost all lands within Unit 10a, public and private, through the generosity of Potlatch and other private owners, are available for resident and nonresident recreational use. Public lands and public policy are managed for the greater benefit of the majority. The 'needs of the few' don't outweigh the 'needs of the many'. Demands for that use by an expanding population of resident hunters within the state as well as that of other nonresident hunters will continue to increase and can't be ignored. Without revolutionary new ideas on hindering or preventing population growth, increased hunting pressure is an absolute certainty and inevitable.

With certainty almost all lands within Unit 10a, public and private, through the generosity of Potlatch and other private owners, are available for resident and nonresident recreational use. Public lands and public policy are managed for the greater benefit of the majority. The 'needs of the few' don't outweigh the 'needs of the many'. Demands for that use by an expanding population of resident hunters within the state as well as that of other nonresident hunters will continue to increase and can't be ignored. Without revolutionary new ideas on hindering or preventing population growth, increased hunting pressure is an absolute certainty and inevitable.

Hunting demand far exceeds supply in many western states...this is why we have tag draws. The demand is not ignored, it is managed. In this instance, some are suggesting we not allow people 2nd tags in this otc unit, demand is high so let's not have folks filling a second tag there. If demand increases exponentially there may come a time Idaho only allows hunting in 10a by controlled permit...hopefully not in my lifetime! Because we can manage season length, dates, and tag numbers, increases in hunting pressure can be managed...even if population growth continues to boom.

Hunting pressure has increased exponentially everywhere in Idaho. Having weathered the transition of increased competition from other hunters, both resident and nonresident in Unit 10a I haven't felt any compelling urge to exclude others from the areas I hunt. I actually enjoy seeing them. We live in a democracy and the residents of this state will determine how hunting and wildlife is best managed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back