Yeti GOBOX Collection

Leupold spotting scope

I have. I like it a lot, but find I use it only when weight is a "very high" premium. I go with the 60mm Gold Ring in most all of my mountain hunts.

Has anyone had any experience running the small gold ring spotting scope(11-30x50)?
I would push you towards the 60mm if it is going to be your only spotter. Unless it's a bright clear day the image quality really drops on the small objectives. It's not the brand that is the problem, it's just exit pupil limitations.

I have a 25X50 fixed Leupold spotter. Low light performance is not good at all. I will never have a 50mm spotter again, but this is what I have for now.

My experience with small scopes is that the weight you save is not worth the lack of seeing... Low light and over cast conditions, you have to turn the power way down, to the point that your binos are likely to have far superior in image quality. Turned up to 30x power the image will not be that great unless under ideal conditions. A 60-65mm scope with similar power range/to objective 15-45ish will have far better image at both the low and high end. Even if you had to turn it down to 30x at dusk, it will be far better than the little one cranked up.

Optics are the one thing I will never sacrifice to save a pound or less, even on a trip that requires scrutinizing weight. They are with out a doubt the most important piece of equipment I I have for hunting.

IMO, there may be instances when a small spoter would work, but in those cases, no spotter would probably work just as well.

Couldn't agree more, Bambistew. I bought this one as a new big game hunter not knowing better.

If you settle on a 50, check out the Nikon ED 50. Lighter yet and good optics. I love mine and carry it a lot. Now, I am looking at a 60 for when I'm not packing as much.
HD

I have an 80mm vortex but it’s kind of a chore lugging it around and takes up a lot of room in the pack so I’m looking into getting a smaller scope for packing and am at a cross roads between the smaller Leupold and small vortex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back