Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Dedicated Turkey shotgun

This 870 has been around since 91/92. Its was my first turkey gun. It's been through a few iterations. It started with a wood stock, then to a knoxx recoil reducing stock for my son, then back to the wood, and now Ive just updated it again.
PpJycc.jpg

I've got the gun and shells now what are you guys running for optics? Red Dot or scope?

Ive ran double beads for 27 years, but my eyesight isnt what it used to be. I'll be running the Vortex Venom this year.

The trend is toward relfex style red dots. Which kinda depends on your eyes and personal preference. I have looked through about all of them. They are all blurry to me except the Leupold DeltaPoint and Eotech holographic sights. Of other sights, the bigger the dot, the less blurry is the dot. Most people just buy the smallest dot they can find and deal with the blur. I did that with a Burris FastFire III. It works, but the blur covers more of the turkey's neck that I would like. Next buy will be the Deltapoint.

Never understood a scope for shooting 40 yards. I have the Tru-glo fiber optic front and rear sights, Very good for low light

That's the great thing about TSS. You can use light payloads and factory chokes to get full house 12 gauge performance. No comment on shot size in an unmarked handload.
I'm thinking the TSS or even the Heavyweight #7 I have now would be fine out of a modified choke to the distances a 10yo would be shooting.

I'm guessing the shot size restriction is an old hold over. And just stupid today given the advances in shot technology/materials.

I just got back from TX. I ran my new 20 ga setup through the paces. It accounted for 4 birds (3 of mine and a buddy took one with it). Birds dropped from 18yds to 63 yds. I wasn't sure if I was gunna like the red dot sight on a turkey setup. I gotta say its really sweet. Red dot and Tss is a really effective combo in a 20ga.

The turkey I shot at 18yds was dead/dead. I don't normally shoot turkeys past 35-40 yds max, but I can say without a doubt based on the number of hits at 63 yds, I still had plenty of leeway left both in pattern density and energy. I did a postmortem on the 63yd turk and there were at least 11 hits in the head and neck that I could find. At least 5 of the pellets completely passed through the head/neck at 63yds. Its impressive stuff

Mossberg 835 Ultimag 12ga 3 1/2

With the adjustable M4 style stock, shooting from the seated position, it’s like being hit in the face with a cricket bat. So you have to recover a minute before you know if you hit the turk or not ;)

This is my dedicated. It's been in the family and working for over a century now. Is not at all unpleasant to shoot either.
Next week, it will be on the job again.

2016%20Turkey%202nd%20season%2023%20lbs%20small.jpg

08FA0532-7901-40DC-92C0-A5E1B905E0ED.jpg
Yeah, which gauge? I am gonna try the 20 this year. I’ve never been into the optics on a turkey gun. To me, short barrel is nice. Thumbhole is too. I’ve never felt recoil when I shoot a turkey. But I am always mesmerized when they come in. As much as I like to shoot the 10 gauges, I hate to carry them!

It’s the most wonderful time of the year!

BrentD I would love to hear the stories that gun could tell. Can you show us your carry strap please?

kansasdad, it CAN tell stories. My grandfather's brothers took it to Montana with them when they moved there right after WWI. It has several Montana hunting licenses starting in 1917 under the buttplate (and quite a few more from Kansas where I killed ducks with it as well as GA, AZ, IA). Before it was taken to MT, my grandfather shot pigeons and prairie chickens here in central Iowa with it. There are no prairie chickens here any more, but there are turkeys and it's a hell of good turkey gun. But, more importantly, it is still MAKING stories. I'm planning on a new story with it next week as a matter of fact.

That is my one of my most modern turkey guns however :)

The carry strap is one of those slip on leather carry straps for the shotgun. But when I get a bird, I noose up his legs and off we go.
It is similar to this one, but I got it at a gun show in near new condition for about $15.
http://www.levysleathers.com/hunting/product/sn95-wal-veg-tan-hunting-sling/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back