New state acquisition

Wait a minute, how could this be? I thought that the state couldn't be trusted to manage public land, that the state would only sell off all of our land to big oil and gas corporations.

Was this piece of property just to big and high priced to sell locally? I am all for having more hunting and rec ground. But feel that the local farmers and ranchers don't need to be competing against the state to purchase ground. Makes sense if it was on the market for awhile and no one local bought it. I see it was already owned by an out of state corp that wanted to be ranchers. In that case I would rather have the state have it then another out of area corp that just wants an investment.

Was this piece of property just to big and high priced to sell locally? I am all for having more hunting and rec ground. But feel that the local farmers and ranchers don't need to be competing against the state to purchase ground. Makes sense if it was on the market for awhile and no one local bought it. I see it was already owned by an out of state corp that wanted to be ranchers. In that case I would rather have the state have it then another out of area corp that just wants an investment.

The state can only pay appraised value for the land. That's the law. This is a land banking project and yes, it's a good one for the trust and for school revenue, with about $350,000 per year earned off of the yield. It's a high intensity monoculture system that is designed for ag production, not wildlife habitat or recreational opportunity, however. It's not going to be much different in the fall than those big antelope racetracks we see all over state lands. There's bound to be a few birds in the draws, maybr a few deer here and there, but it pales in comparison to many other offerings out there that this land board won't act on in terms of recreational value or wildlife habitat.

Overall, Landbanking has been a great program to consolidate checkerboard lands and open up access to landlocked public land. We fought off attempts by Rosendale & the majority leadership in 2017 to steal Habitat Montana and turn it in to a land banking program. Apparently our land board didn't understand the concept of this program after taking office.

They made the right call. There are bound to be a few birds in the draw that runs through it and I’m sure people will have plenty of opportunity to chase antelope across the stubble fields. It is definitely not a prime wildlife habitat area but I am thrilled to see it be in the Land banking program.

The state can only pay appraised value for the land. That's the law. This is a land banking project and yes, it's a good one for the trust and for school revenue, with about $350,000 per year earned off of the yield. It's a high intensity monoculture system that is designed for ag production, not wildlife habitat or recreational opportunity, however. It's not going to be much different in the fall than those big antelope racetracks we see all over state lands. There's bound to be a few birds in the draws, maybr a few deer here and there, but it pales in comparison to many other offerings out there that this land board won't act on in terms of recreational value or wildlife habitat.

Overall, Landbanking has been a great program to consolidate checkerboard lands and open up access to landlocked public land. We fought off attempts by Rosendale & the majority leadership in 2017 to steal Habitat Montana and turn it in to a land banking program. Apparently our land board didn't understand the concept of this program after taking office.

Ben or whomever,
The $ made by the state ownership (350k per year(?)) what are the various ways this money is made? Grazing, timber (if there was much), mineral extraction, what accounts on this land for 350k per year or am I not understanding the content?

Ben or whomever,
The $ made by the state ownership (350k per year(?)) what are the various ways this money is made? Grazing, timber (if there was much), mineral extraction, what accounts on this land for 350k per year or am I not understanding the content?

Grazing & crop production, as I understand it.

I believe it is worth noting the state will not be paying county taxes on this land compared to PILT’s and Bankhead Jones from federal land.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back