Yeti GOBOX Collection

Home Freeze Drying?. Anyone done it

Dieseldog

Has anyone done any home Freeze Drying? Am interested in making my own freeze dried meals to take hunting. Have a few friends interested also and looking at purchasing a dryer together. All in all it would take a lot of meals to pay for the machine but would be nice to have our own homemade meals when out in the bush. Thanks

Yep. I've dehyrdated a bunch of meals. Make up dishes, dehydrate and divide them, put them in a ziploc, dump ziploc in pot, add water, boil, simmer a bit then eat. Super good food that's WAY cheaper and not so salty. I bought Backpack Gourmet: Good Hot Grub You Can Make at Home, Dehydrate, and Pack for Quick, Easy, and Healthy Eating on the Trail by by Linda Frederick Yaffee and have eaten well. All her recipes are simple and she walks you through what to do. Super generous portions too.

I've dehydrated some things with mixed results. I have looked into home freeze-drying machines but they are like $2500.

An option is to buy freeze dried meat and veggies adding some spices.

Don't freeze dry, but I dehydrate all of my backpacking meals in an inexpensive, run of the mill dehydrator. House and other freeze dried meals don't agree with me. I stick to basic, healthy recipes and do very well with energy levels. I usually just pick one or two recipes and make pounds and pounds of it for the season. It can be boring to eat the same thing over and over again, but I find that for me anything hot at the end of the day is good. I found some thick food grade bags on amazon that stand up on their own and seal well, so I can cook right in the bag. When you're done eating, seal it up and toss it in your food bag. Nothing to clean up. Most of my recipes turn 16-18oz of "wet" food, into 3-4 oz dried. There is a ton of good info on this if you venture onto serious backpacking/though hiking websites. There are a lot of tips and tricks to get things to dry and reconstitute better.

If you have the cash for a home freeze dryer go for it. Freeze drying is way easier than dehydration and food last longer. I have been researching freeze drying for over a year. Just don’t have the money to purchase one. One day. One day. I would rather make my own meals. They taste great. Dehydration just takes to long. I do some. To say it again, if you can purchase a freeze dryer have at it.

Hey Arcola- can you share a couple recipes that work well for you? I'm getting a bit tired of the standard freeze dried options, and cous cous and instant potatoes don't always have what I'm after.

So, I ran into a friend of a friend on Friday. He's a personal chef and he actually has a freeze dryer at his house. Along with a chamber sealer. He's invited me to use it. I'm really excited to see how it compares to my current method.

My parents have a freeze dryer, and it's amazing. We did a two night trip last Fall, and took all home freeze dried meals. Venison chili, with cornbread. Scrambled eggs in the morning. Also, freeze-dried apples that made an otherwise boring oatmeal taste downright gourmet. I'm heading on a week-long western hunt this fall, and I'm starting to plan out my meals now. Should save a ton of money over buying mountain house.

Also - we've got a little boy, and my parents do freeze-dried yogurt drops for him, and he LOVES them. The machines are spendy, but man, they're fun.

Don't freeze dry, but I dehydrate all of my backpacking meals in an inexpensive, run of the mill dehydrator. House and other freeze dried meals don't agree with me. I stick to basic, healthy recipes and do very well with energy levels. I usually just pick one or two recipes and make pounds and pounds of it for the season. It can be boring to eat the same thing over and over again, but I find that for me anything hot at the end of the day is good. I found some thick food grade bags on amazon that stand up on their own and seal well, so I can cook right in the bag. When you're done eating, seal it up and toss it in your food bag. Nothing to clean up. Most of my recipes turn 16-18oz of "wet" food, into 3-4 oz dried. There is a ton of good info on this if you venture onto serious backpacking/though hiking websites. There are a lot of tips and tricks to get things to dry and reconstitute better.

Any specific recipes you love from this?

Also what brand of freeze dryer is recommended for those that have used one. I might be able to use this for my business too so I can write it off : )

So, I ran into a friend of a friend on Friday. He's a personal chef and he actually has a freeze dryer at his house. Along with a chamber sealer. He's invited me to use it. I'm really excited to see how it compares to my current method.

That’s a good friend to have. I’d love to have access to one.

Any specific recipes you love from this?

Also what brand of freeze dryer is recommended for those that have used one. I might be able to use this for my business too so I can write it off : )

I like to do a stuffed pepper type meal, but dice up the peppers and add to the mix. Or rice and beans with ground beef. I add bread crumbs to the beef before cooking, so it reconstitutes better. Not sure you'd need to do that for freeze drying though.

I've freeze dried a few things, never on purpose.
Try putting your meal in the back of the freezer unprotected. It should be ready in the fall.
I look forward to hearing how it taste:)

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back