While we are in WY pronghorn hunting question..

I never saw or heard a coyote when I was in Wyoming last October. Found a few prairie dog mounds and some bones, but never saw one. The sage was too tall even if they were there. I wish I had brought some fishing gear. Those rivers look amazing.

If you like Whiskey, spend a couple hours hitting up liqour stores and try to find Wyoming Whiskey. It is good stuff. Picked up 3 bottles last year.

Just checked out MapQuest... just over two hours to Kirby. Now on my to-do list.

No need to go to Kirby, most decent sized liquor stores in Wyoming carry it. For the price I still prefer Makers 46 over it.

Not sure where you will be (I can guess based on your distance from Kirby). I would look into doe deer tags if you want to bring some more meat home. The early duck areas will be open, so you might try jump shooting some. Cottontails as suggested can be in huge numbers depending on where you are. Fishing the platte near Casper is worth your time if you like trout.

Things to do near Kirby/Worland/Thermopolis:

Yellowstone National Park
Grand Teton National Park
Hot Springs State Park
Wyoming Dinosaur Center
One Eyed Buffalo Brewery
Tensleep Brewery
Wyoming Whiskey Distellery
Big Horn River Fishing

29614.jpg
20170918_133218.jpg
20170917_101211.jpg

Attachments

• 20170916_190715.jpg
    20170916_190715.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 591
Last edited:
We will most likely be staying in Buffalo, probably with doe tags in Unit 16. If we fill our tags early, we will definitely be doing some driving around and keeping ourselves busy!

There is plenty of cotton tails to hunt in 16, Pdogs I've only seen one colony of them and it was on private ground near route 90 right by a house.

Bring a shotgun along and shoot grouse and P-dogs during the day. Coyotes morning and evening.

I wouldn't be shooting any grouse in October, unless you are in the mountains and they are Blue or Ruffed. Might get you a handsome fine.

I wouldn't be shooting any grouse in October, unless you are in the mountains and they are Blue or Ruffed. Might get you a handsome fine.

Sharp-tails will be open and they can be found just east of where they will be.

Just wondering why you chose that area? You might drop down a little farther south and get better access and better fishing with mountains close by for dusky grouse hunting.
Doe tags are random so pick an area with good access. Even with 16 tags you could take a nice drive down for fishing within a few hours of your antelope hunt.
We have better beer in Laramie, The Library brewery.
Hopefully you'll fill out early then have time to make some plans, enjoy our great state and allow a couple of extra days for travel, winter road closures.

Just wondering why you chose that area? You might drop down a little farther south and get better access and better fishing with mountains close by for dusky grouse hunting.
Doe tags are random so pick an area with good access. Even with 16 tags you could take a nice drive down for fishing within a few hours of your antelope hunt.
Hopefully you'll fill out early then have time to make some plans, enjoy our great state and allow a couple of extra days for travel, winter road closures.

That's a great question. That area is just about as quick and easy as a drive from PA as we can have. We are pretty much guaranteed Doe/Fawn tags in 16. We also have a free place to stay, making it really convenient to get to units in that area. Our plan is to spend at least half of the week driving around WY looking at other units for the day we have points to burn. We'll also busy ourselves with some other adventures... coyotes/grouse/fishing/local beer/WY Whiskey/ and on and on and on. There's a lot we want to do when we're out there. Hopefully we'll get to half of it!

The folks at the Black Tooth Brewery in Sheridan or the Mishap Brewery in Buffalo would probably disagree with you on that statement!!

ClearCreekk

That makes for a good reason to travel the state and try some beer !!
Sounds like you have a good plan, hope the draw works out for you. Antelope hunting can be much more than just filling tags.

The Blacktooth folks are great, set up by them at the Steinley Cup Brewfest, Mishap don't know of them but I'm betting they're worth a try.

Make sure you eat at or go into some local small town diners or ranch supply type stores and you may find some more access. A Diner in Moorcroft had notices up looking for antelope hunters for private ranches in years past.

They're called brewfests and we have some throughout summer all over the state. Plan a scouting trip right and hit one up. Steinley Cup in Saratoga is a great one, small and family friendly.

Back