Caribou Gear

OV Ridgetop bino harness first impressions

Bulldog0156

After being indecisive on a new bino harness purchase for the past couple years I finally found one that had features I like and potentially nothing I don't like, so I bought the Outdoor Vision Ridgetop bino harness.

Likes/must haves
Forward pivoting front flap
binocular tethers that attach to the harness and allow you to unclip binos from the harness
No elastic in harness straps
Magnetic clasp to keep the case shut
It is compact

I liked the idea of having magnets that hold the case both open and shut. The case is very light, and only has structural rigidity on the back portion of it. Unfortunately, this allows the magnets that hold the case top in the "open" position to attract each other and snap together. It also allows the top to collapse in on itself because all of the magnets line up perfectly. When it does this, it is a bit difficult to operate silently with one hand. Other than the magnet issue (I do love that it has magnets that keep it closed), I really like this hanrness and case. It fits me well and rides high and tight on my chest. I will probably give it a couple months of good use and if I still struggle to operate the top silently with one hand, I will probably remove and/or reposition the magnets that hold the top open to enhance operation. All in all, I am pretty happy with the harness.

Well, I have been looking and researching bino harnesses since last fall. Pulled the trigger on a OV Ridgetop yesterday. I'll post how i like it once it arrives and i can test it out.

I took the 4 magnets out that hold the top open. It's better this way, now I just need to add some rigidity to the front to allow for better one-handed operation. The harness portion rides real nice.

I am looking for something like this but I need it to carry my bear spray, range finder, binos, and revolver while staying mostly out of the way for archery. I was thinking of a MOLLEE webbing on the bottom (bear spray), range finder in the mini pocket, and finding some way to attach a flat kydex holster to the back for my Taurus Tracker .44 mag. Anyone else either found or made a similar rig? I have been kicking around the idea of using AGG, mystery ranch kit bags, etc but haven't finalized an idea yet because I want to see how someone else has done it before me (and not repeat their mistakes!).

I have received my OVRidgetop harness, took it out last weekend...I love it! Nice and compact, fits my Wind River bino's perfectly. No elastic in the harness is a plus, as is the rain fly. Looking at the rangefinder pouch to clip onto it next.

I just ordered one today for my 10X42 Geovids. I have tried various types and hope this one fits my style of hunting. Thanks to all on this site that previously gave me advice.

I took the 4 magnets out that hold the top open. It's better this way, now I just need to add some rigidity to the front to allow for better one-handed operation. The harness portion rides real nice.
Just got this harness and love everything except the magnets that keep the harness open. I don't see the need for this and they tend to make a lot of noise when snapping together. How did you go about removing the magnets? I assume it involved cutting some of the fabric along the seam and removing the magnets. How did it work out and did you do anything to re-close the holes?

Back