Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Talk some sense into me (semiauto)

MinneFoCo

Howdie all,

I don't intend this to be a "what's the best shotgun for the money" type of post. I am just having a tough time deciding between a few 12 gauge sem-iauto. I'm looking for a gun that I will use for some upland birds and turkeys, MAYBE the possible goose hunt, but I don't have any friends that are into goose hunting here. I'd like it to be an adaptable tool. I shouldn't spend more than $700, (could go up to $800 if its the cat's meow), or the Mrs will be super upset. Happy wife happy life. I've got it down to a few...a local GS has a Betetta a300 @ $600 with a wood stock, there's a Weatherby sa08 for $500 synthetic stock all black, and I have heard mixed things about the Remmington versamax (around $800 locally). The weatherby felt the "cheapest in my hands, but I hear good things. Thanks gang!

Spend as much as you can afford/justify is what I say. If you are not going to use the crap out of it you will have a hard time wearing it out too. I wanted a super black eagle, but settled for the Stoeger copy and it serves me well as long as I don't shoot light loads.

For a do-everything semi-auto shotgun in that budget it'd be real hard to go wrong with the A300. A used Benelli M2 perhaps, but for brand new the Beretta is about as good as it gets for ~$600. Personally I'd go with the synthetic version over wood but that's up to you really.

We had a weatherby sa-08 and it was really fussy, pretty much cycled when it felt like it (the Randy Moss of shotguns). It looks very similar to the mossberg sa-20 (I read they are made in the same plant in Turkey) which we also have but the mossberg is a smooth as an inexpensive semi-auto can be. If you want to stay under $550 I would go with Mossberg 930 in 12 gauge or Mossberg SA-20 in 20 gauge (not a goose gun) - best of the "cheap semi-autos" in my opinion (and I have shot a lot of them). If you can squeeze your budget to $899 and look around a little you can get a Benelli Montefeltro - the most durable semi-auto you can buy in the sub $1,500 range. You can shoot the heck out of a montefeltro and then pass it on you a grandkid and they can shoot it for years too. Years ago when I started grouse and pheasant hunting I stuck to my "under $500 budget" and found my self rebuying nicer guns a few years later -- I would hold out for the montefeltro in a 12 gauge if I were you.

From an eariler post:

At $500 price point I would go with a Mossberg 930 Waterfowl.
At $900 price point I would go with a Benelli Montefeltro 12 gauge.
At $1250 price point I would go with a Benelli M2 12 gauge.
At the $1650 price point I would go with a Benelli SBE3 12 gauge.
In the $1200-$1500 range, the Beretta 400 Xplor 12 gauge is worth looking at too.

I have (or have had) all of these but if I could only have one it would be the Benelli M2, I just don't see the extra value in the SBE3 (but it is really nice). If I needed to save a few bucks I would go with the Montefeltro -- those things shoot forever (http://www.randywakeman.com/Most_Reliable_Autoloading_Shotgun.htm)

I also have an 870 and a supernova, and they aren't even close to the list above in my opinion. If you are on a tight budget the 930 would be the better choice.

Any 12 gauge will do fine with upland as well. 20 gauge is an option for upland as well, but not enough for geese and marginal for ducks in my opinion.

Last edited:
Check out Beretta A300, Weatherby element, Remington versa max, 11-87, 1100, V3, or a Benelli Montefeltro.Stoeger or franchi also make a good budget semi auto my buddy has a stoeger and it works good. Might also be able to find a Winchester sx3 or sx4 for around $800. Whatever you do avoid any Mossberg semi auto at all cost they're nothing but a headache. I own a Mossberg 930 duck commander special and that thing has been the most unreliable shotgun I've ever owned.

Last edited:
Of the 3 you listed the beretta is hands down the pick, under no circumstances should you ever buy a semi auto Remington shotgun.. They are cursed... I have put some shotguns thru hell, browning gold hunter, beretta a391, sbe2 all held up to the abuse.. had a Remington 1187 sm and a versamax that never made it thru a season without going back for repairs.. right now I got a beretta a400 and a new sbe2, out of your price range but worth the money.. I have heard good things about the stoeger.

Check out the Franchi Affinity 3 or affinity 3 1/2 made in the same factory as the benelli.

I’d wait till there on sale or find a used M2 benilli. There about 900 bucks but they are awesome guns and they can take a beating. I use mine for everything.

Thanks everyone! Man I really wish money weren't an issue, but it is. I appreciate the recommendations and the input you have all given me. I'd rather stick to a more modestly priced gun, then I can but more shells and tags and not feel too guilty about it. I'll probably head to a local store and shoulder the a300 and the Montefeltro. I'm not opposed to used firearms, just has to be the right one at the right price.

I'll probably head to a local store and shoulder the a300 and the Montefeltro.

You will do well with either, both are quality guns that give up little to their more expensive siblings. I don't have an a300, but do have an a400 xplr. It shoots very nice and the gas action eats a little recoil, but in the end my M2s are the ones that make it out the field - much simpler to clean and maintain (the montefeltro is similar).

Beretta is a great gun. Franchi Affinity is another really good gun for the money, and is maybe the best choice if you aren’t real big on cleaning/maintenance.

Beretta is a great gun. Franchi Affinity is another really good gun for the money, and is maybe the best choice if you aren’t real big on cleaning/maintenance.

Tell me more about your take on maintenance if you get a chance. Anything specific about the a300, or just the simplicity of the inertia?

THANKS

Last edited:
Friend of mine has a a300 and loves it. But it doesn't shoot 3.5 (not that u need 3.5, but I shoot them all the time for ducks). I have a stoeger m3500 that works well for ducks, geese, and turkey. But would might be too heavy for upland.

Oh, and for any waterfowling I would definitely stick with synthetic!!

I have an a300. No issues whatsoever with the gun, just don’t go trying to put 7/8oz loads through it. It’s went bang every time I’ve pulled the trigger.

My favorite thing about these threads is that most often an option you weren’t even looking at is a front-runner.

That being said, I vote for the Stoeger M3000. I have had mine 2 seasons. Put a few cases of shells through it from dove loads to goose loads and it hasn’t failed yet. Intentionally didn’t clean it that first season to see how bad it would get before it wouldn’t work and that didn’t happen. Used the wrong oil and it froze up a couple times at -10* but can hardly fault the gun for that. Changed oil and it cycled just fine.

Did have to clean it real well to get all the packing grease out of it initially but other than that it’s a quick wipe down and re-oil and it’s back in the field.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back