Talk some sense into me (semiauto)

Because then you NEED another gun (or several) for lowland hunting of course. Who would EVER shoot a duck with a 24" barrel, or even a 26" barrel when a 30" barrel would be so much more appropriate. Not that the duck would be any deader...

What are some good guns strictly for upland bird hunting?

Something with two barrels, sub 7 pounds and 26-28" barrels choked around IC & Mod. Stacked or side by side.

If you want a semi-auto, I've been partial to the Benelli Ethos. Heard a lot of good things about the new Browning A-5 as well. Upland means lots of walking, so weight is my biggest factor. a 7-8 pound shotgun is great for the blind or the range, but after about mile 5, it gets a little heavy.

Honestly, the best part about a shotgun is that it can literally be a do-it-all tool. With the same Remington 870, a couple of chokes, and a slug barrel, you can successfully kill any critter that walks, crawls, or skitters in North America. You're just looking at a bit more price when you're talking semi-auto. They're nice, but not a necessity.

A used Remington 1100 would be dirt cheap and probably as durable and functional as any of those made today - maybe more so. A few extra barrels from Ebay and you are in business for anything. My dad and many others I know had 1100s and they just plain work.

I'm probably the oddest person here, but I would never buy a factory-new gun, especially a shotgun. Just no reason to do so, unless you are particularly attached to them for some reason.

Stoeger M3500 28 inch barrel. The Benelli fanboys will turn there nose to them , but they are a Benelli copy, I know a guy thats had his for 5-6 years now and hasnt cleaned it yet. They just keep ticking. (And I own a SBE II ! )

A used Remington 1100 would be dirt cheap and probably as durable and functional as any of those made today - maybe more so. A few extra barrels from Ebay and you are in business for anything. My dad and many others I know had 1100s and they just plain work.

I'm probably the oddest person here, but I would never buy a factory-new gun, especially a shotgun. Just no reason to do so, unless you are particularly attached to them for some reason.

You are the man! That's a fantastic idea. I just shot a buddy's 1100, and it wasn't for me. Just didn't swing well for me. I'm really leaning used more and more with this post, so thank's all for that insight. You fellas are great!

Here are my thoughts, from a guy who chases birds more than elk and will be the first Hunt Talker to kill a Himalayan Snowcock:

1. You can get one shotgun to do all birds. It won't do any of them particularly well, but it will do it. Long barrels for waterfowl make swinging smoother and more accurate. Short barrels for turkey hunting will help you to pinpoint your load with a scope.

2. Try and go semiauto: it will lessen recoil and make followup easier. I feel shotgunning is more fun with an autloader. The 1187 can be found in 6,739 configurations. So shop around and you can find one that you will like.

3. I shoot a Versamax Waterfowl Pro for my ducks and geese. It is the finest shotgun I have ever shot. I do not care what the italian gunners (Benelli, Berretta) say (I mean no disrespect). It is also out of your budget. I shot an 1187 for turkeys with a thumbhole stock and reddot. I have a few upland guns depending on size of bird, 20ga, 12ga and 410.

4. I would buy a used shotgun before a used rifle.

5. Go with a 12ga.

6. Buy synthetic if you will go waterfowling with it.

Here are my thoughts, from a guy who chases birds more than elk and will be the first Hunt Talker to kill a Himalayan Snowcock:

1. You can get one shotgun to do all birds. It won't do any of them particularly well, but it will do it. Long barrels for waterfowl make swinging smoother and more accurate. Short barrels for turkey hunting will help you to pinpoint your load with a scope.

2. Try and go semiauto: it will lessen recoil and make followup easier. I feel shotgunning is more fun with an autloader. The 1187 can be found in 6,739 configurations. So shop around and you can find one that you will like.

3. I shoot a Versamax Waterfowl Pro for my ducks and geese. It is the finest shotgun I have ever shot. I do not care what the italian gunners (Benelli, Berretta) say (I mean no disrespect). It is also out of your budget. I shot an 1187 for turkeys with a thumbhole stock and reddot. I have a few upland guns depending on size of bird, 20ga, 12ga and 410.

4. I would buy a used shotgun before a used rifle.

5. Go with a 12ga.

6. Buy synthetic if you will go waterfowling with it.
Though he's only posted here a very few times, but my pard from ID does have a registered username here, and has killed 1/2 dozen or so snowcocks. FWIW... ;) I've hunted them once with him and while we got a few, very difficult shots, we didn't bring any home that trip. He's killed a whole lot of birds of many different species with the same 870 he got at 12.

Additionally, there was a former poster from the Boise area that took his dog to NV and ended up with a snowcock. Gotta remember, some of us have been here a long time...
https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...41149-Himalayan-Snowcock-(long-amp-pic-heavy)

Last edited:
I have a Beretta Urika. Love this gun however, I learned a few things. Great for sporting clays and general shooting. Very little recoil.

Now, you have asked a "trick question". Maybe someone has found a good semi-auto that works for geese yet is light enough to carry all day long on a pheasant hunt :)

If you want to waterfowl hunt take this note: For snow geese you can have unlimited shells (yes, you want lots of shells when that flock comes in). My Beretta Urika does NOT allow for an "extension tube". That sucks. If you ever want to hunt snow geese make sure the gun has the ability for an extension tube (usually can get one for 55 - 95$).

Just my thoughts to add to all the other great responses.

good luck to all
the dog

I didn't even think about the 1100! They are great guns. Try to find one in a 3" chamber and you'll kill anything. They fit just like an 870, which means that they fit most people like a glove. They're also not a bad looking gun. You can probably even use the same chokes as an 870, which means that you can get an entire array of them for fairly cheap.

I bought a versa max last waterfowl season. Man I love that gun. I can shoot low brass clays as well as 3.5" magnums with out changing anything. My hunting circle has every semi auto you can think of. Beretta a350 mossburg 935, stouger 3500, browning maxus, beneli SB2. Mine is the only one that cycles the light loads.

Well, thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread. I very much appreciate your thoughts. I went used. There's a lot of gear that I want to buy, and can actually afford some of it now that I didn't drop $600+. Got a used Remington 870!

Yes the older 1100's are great. In your price point the beretta 300 is the way to go.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back