New guy from texas

TX_Eric

As the title says, new guy from Texas looking at doing my first public land western hunt this year. A buddy and I are planning on putting in for Pronghorn in Wyoming. We have decided to put in for the special draw, and are interested primarily in unit 21 as it seems to have decent access and a good success rate, and if last years data holds true, we should get drawn, even as second choice. My main question is, with this being the area of most interest for us, should we put in for this unit as our first choice? Or would you put in a harder to draw unit for first choice( to start accruing points), with the high likelihood of being drawn for second choice in the special draw for this specific unit? Lastly, If i put in an easy to draw unit for third choice, will that hurt our chances of getting drawn for the unit we are most interested in?

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to HT! It sounds like you don't have any PPs, but plan on putting in for the Special Draw thinking that will easily get you a tag in 21. FYI most of the antelope in 21 are on inaccessible private or landlocked public land. Most of the public land that is accessible is on the southern and southeastern end and it gets pounded right from the opening bell. There are a lot better units than 21 if you plan on putting in for the Special Draw, so IMHO you need to do more homework on all the units.

Welcome to HT! It sounds like you don't have any PPs, but plan on putting in for the Special Draw thinking that will easily get you a tag in 21. FYI most of the antelope in 21 are on inaccessible private or landlocked public land. Most of the public land that is accessible is on the southern and southeastern end and it gets pounded right from the opening bell. There are a lot better units than 21 if you plan on putting in for the Special Draw, so IMHO you need to do more homework on all the units.

And here I thought we were on to something haha. You are definitely right though. Ive had 21 in my head for a couple weeks and now, and now im not sure why. I went back and looked and it appears theres only one main road through the area. Also been thinking that we had to make a decision by March 13th when the deadline isn't until May. Looks like i still have plenty of time to do some more research...Thanks!

Quick question, I went to create our party for this years application. While doing it i could apply with or without a preference point. Is this just Wyomings way of asking if I would like to purchase a preference point for next years drawing?

Quick question, I went to create our party for this years application. While doing it i could apply with or without a preference point. Is this just Wyomings way of asking if I would like to purchase a preference point for next years drawing?

Yes!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back