PEAX Equipment

DIY Caribou Hunt Brooks Mountain range

davis.parker7b

I am trying to plan an Alaskan caribou hunt for next year in the Brooks Mountain range for myself and two buddys and have a few questions for anyone that has done this in the past. I would like to hunt an area about 150 miles outside of Bettles Alaska and am curious is to how much it will cost to fly in via bush plane. What are the typical Weight limitations, and if we do each get a caribou what is the best method to return the meat and antlers to the lower states, Preferably the cheapest. Also for those of you have done this in the past, what did it cost.

The "cheapest" way to fly bou antlers back to the lower 48 is to shoot a small one; split the skull plate; cover points (old hose sections) and slip them into a duffle bag. Check with the air line you're flying for their antler policy - they differ. Expect to be hit with around a $150+ fee to ship a decent, intact rack. Anchorage has some "freight expeditors" that specialize in antler shipment - I don't know if any are available in Fairbanks.
Cheapest way to ship meat is as excess baggage. If its chilled (cooled) you can use the waxed fish shipping boxes to ship it and it will arrive in good shape. Compare extra bags & overweight bags cost to determine what makes the most sense for the airline you're flying.
There are at least 2 air taxis that operate out of Bettles. Are you flying into Bettles? The air taxis will also arrange to pick you up from the Haul Road (if you drive). If you go for the Haul Rd pick-up, be careful where you rent your vehicle - most rentals don't want their vehicles driving the Haul Rd.

Gary gave you solid info. Lots of logistics to consider, the biggest is how to get the meat from the bush to your home. Check with Alaska Air on their antler policy, it seems to change occasionally. I think you have to cover points and wrap in plastic now? I would do as Gary mentioned and split the skull, stack them and stuff them in a bag or wrap them up.

I would budget at least a full day on the return to chase down shipping supplies. I bring it back on the plane with me vs shipping/cargo. Baggage fees are far cheaper than over-nighting stuff. A caribou will net you maybe 150lbs of boned out meat. I'd put it in a cooler, inside a plastic bag, and tape it all up. Check airline regs on what they allow for meat. I would also chase down freezer space to use the day before departure. Some hotels have space to store entire coolers/fish boxes.

I haven't flown out of Bettles (or Coldfoot), but have looked into in the past. Seems the going rate is $2500-3500pp. This is variable on who, and what type of aircraft, which also dictates how much gear you can fly. I would say you could expect to haul maybe 100-300lbs pp. But again highly variable on aircraft and number of people.

You need to decide on a transporter and call them to discuss details. There may well only be one transporter who will fly you where you are wanting to go.

Get an Alaska Airline CC, you will save on baggage costs, and may even get enough miles to fly up for free, not to mention one of your buddies can fly for "free" with purchase of another. In other words... if there are three of you, purchase one ticket, pay $125 ($25+annual fee) for the companion fair, and book the third on miles... The three of you could fly up for basically the cost of one ticket.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back