Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

NM Big Game deadline fast approaching!

FutureMountains

Preaching to the choir here but don't wait till the last minute to get your big game applications in by March 21st.

I still feel like a rookie as it's only my second year hunting big game. I put in for Elk, Antelope and Deer.

Last year I only put in for cow elk and came up empty handed in 6C. I only ran into bulls. Of course this year I'm applying for bull tags in different units.

Good luck!

Elk, orxy,deer, Did apply for the 700 tags for deer and elk. Interested an how those tags affect the draw.

Our New Mexico draw video we did with help from goHUNT. Good luck.

[video=youtube_share;RTwIUsoB_EM]https://youtu.be/RTwIUsoB_EM[/video]

Preaching to the choir here but don't wait till the last minute to get your big game applications in by March 21st.

I still feel like a rookie as it's only my second year hunting big game. I put in for Elk, Antelope and Deer.

Last year I only put in for cow elk and came up empty handed in 6C. I only ran into bulls. Of course this year I'm applying for bull tags in different units.

Good luck!

If you saw bulls there, why did you apply somewhere else? Too small? Rough terrain? Too many hunters? I'm just curious why hunt somewhere else when you have an idea where the elk are.

If you saw bulls there, why did you apply somewhere else? Too small? Rough terrain? Too many hunters? I'm just curious why hunt somewhere else when you have an idea where the elk are.

I was super tempted to re-apply there. It was my first time hunting big game and I went solo - so in all honesty, I have no way of gauging the size of the 2 bulls I saw. I think the main reason for going for other units is simply for the adventure and the chance to explore new areas. Maybe someday I'll go back. 6C doesn't have a great reputation since it borders a couple of sanctuary areas where the elk rightfully feel safe knowing they're off limits to hunters. I do have those two spots now in my pocket as targets if I ever go back though. 6C is also really close to Santa Fe and it was too tempting to drive home in the evening a couple of the nights to get warm with my wife and kids - causing me to lose a couple of evening hunts.

Because so many people here gave me great tips last year - here's the two spots I saw bulls. not that they'll be there this fall but, in both cases getting away from the road I saw so much sign.

https://huntsmarter.app.link/u7etgxQ84K (near dome wilderness)

https://huntsmarter.app.link/gXewTWY84K (near the Los Alamos ski area, just off the Caldera border)

Those areas are shot now, lol. I'm glad you didn't get frustrated or consider the hunt unsuccessful because you didn't get an elk. My NM elk hunt was very memorable and I never fired a shot. Good luck in the draw this year!

Dude, I would not post coordinates like that on the Internet. It will get run over by people, disappointing both them and the offline hunters wondering why there's a sudden influx!

Just my two cents, but I'd suggest editing them out. It's amazing to see what has happened to certain portions unit 36, in terms of hunter popularity, just because of Randy's two shows in the general area. I couldn't imagine how a set of coordinates would make it even more congested.

I got my app in. First choice I'd crap my pants, second choice I'd lose a lot of sleep, 3rd choice I'd be smiling all summer. Crossing my fingers but definitely not getting my hopes up. I also did the application for my Colorado back up plan as well yesterday.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back