$1,149.84

Feel free to not "buy" anything you want, including a NR hunting license in Montana. If you want cheap R licenses, pick up and move to Montana.

Here's what I know, Resident hunters do many things that you don't as a NR. Each state has a bunch of people that volunteer countless hours attending legislative sessions to support good bills, kill bad ones, and do what's best for wildlife. There are dozens of NGO's in each state that donate a chitload of cash to fund all sorts of wildlife related projects, from collaring studies, to conservation easements, to___________(fill in the blank). Countless hours donated for various on the ground projects that do a lot for wildlife. The list goes on and on and on what Residents do to help hunting, public lands, access, etc. in every State. What about serving on various commissions, committees, task forces, etc. that is all done by Resident Hunters on a volunteer basis?

I can tell you Pat, that I'll gladly pay for your NR hunting license for deer, elk or pronghorn each year in the state of your choice, if you'll pay just my mileage and hotel rooms for driving all over the State attending meetings on behalf of hunters, public lands, and wildlife. We wont get into the vacation days I spend to make those meetings. Anytime you want...we can work out the details.

I'm sick and tired of the high pitched whining about how you're doing so much for wildlife and providing "welfare" for Residents. You're getting a screaming deal by simply scribbling a check once a year for the opportunity to hunt...BFD. Plenty of people to take your place that wont cry about it when they do.

I strongly suggest if you don't like doing the small part you do each year, hang it up and stay home blasting turkeys and whitetails.
So I take it the I pay taxes question isn't going to get answered. Buzz, I commend you for what you do, but it's hardly the norm. Or an excuse to be a jerk when someone has a different opinion. I haven't bitched once about the tag cost on this thread, my comment was more on the lines of is everyone really funding the wildlife at the residents prices, and the long term effect of pricing out lower income hunters, and that I'm not.

Last edited:
So I take it the I pay taxes question isn't going to get answered. Buzz, I commend you for what you do, but it's hardly the norm. Or an excuse to be a jerk when someone has a different opinion. I haven't bitched once about the tag cost on this thread, my comment was more on the lines of is everyone really funding the wildlife at the residents prices, and the long term effect of pricing out lower income hunters, and that I'm not.

Agreed

I keep seeing people say they are the states animals, and they get to charge what they want for a license which is fine. So why don’t the people that own the public like national forest charge the state to graze the states animals on it? Ranchers get charged to run livestock. Why doesn’t the state get charged to run their livestock since residents make it very plain that they own the animals?

Why do the residents of a state get to graze their animals for free then tell a non res you have to pay 10-20x more then me even though the only reason that animal is available to hunt is because of the public land that everyone owns? Not just the residents of that state.

I don’t really care what states charge. I play the app game in a lot of states and am more then willing to pay the fees. I don’t apply for MT deer or elk because I don’t feel it’s a very good value though.

I just am tired of seeing the statement that they are the states animals so basically “quit whining and shut up” when the state gets free boarding of their animals.

Feel free to not "buy" anything you want, including a NR hunting license in Montana. If you want cheap R licenses, pick up and move to Montana.

Here's what I know, Resident hunters do many things that you don't as a NR. Each state has a bunch of people that volunteer countless hours attending legislative sessions to support good bills, kill bad ones, and do what's best for wildlife. There are dozens of NGO's in each state that donate a chitload of cash to fund all sorts of wildlife related projects, from collaring studies, to conservation easements, to___________(fill in the blank). Countless hours donated for various on the ground projects that do a lot for wildlife. The list goes on and on and on what Residents do to help hunting, public lands, access, etc. in every State. What about serving on various commissions, committees, task forces, etc. that is all done by Resident Hunters on a volunteer basis?

I can tell you Pat, that I'll gladly pay for your NR hunting license for deer, elk or pronghorn each year in the state of your choice, if you'll pay just my mileage and hotel rooms for driving all over the State attending meetings on behalf of hunters, public lands, and wildlife. We wont get into the vacation days I spend to make those meetings. Anytime you want...we can work out the details.

I'm sick and tired of the high pitched whining about how you're doing so much for wildlife and providing "welfare" for Residents. You're getting a screaming deal by simply scribbling a check once a year for the opportunity to hunt...BFD. Plenty of people to take your place that wont cry about it when they do.

I strongly suggest if you don't like doing the small part you do each year, hang it up and stay home blasting turkeys and whitetails.

Great idea. That’s what I will do. I will also hunt pheasant, quail, and grouse. Good Lord you are nowhere near as important as you think you are. And your opinion is even less meaningless.

I keep seeing people say they are the states animals, and they get to charge what they want for a license which is fine. So why don’t the people that own the public like national forest charge the state to graze the states animals on it? Ranchers get charged to run livestock. Why doesn’t the state get charged to run their livestock since residents make it very plain that they own the animals?

Why do the residents of a state get to graze their animals for free then tell a non res you have to pay 10-20x more then me even though the only reason that animal is available to hunt is because of the public land that everyone owns? Not just the residents of that state.

I don’t really care what states charge. I play the app game in a lot of states and am more then willing to pay the fees. I don’t apply for MT deer or elk because I don’t feel it’s a very good value though.

I just am tired of seeing the statement that they are the states animals so basically “quit whining and shut up” when the state gets free boarding of their animals.

The State doesn't run "livestock" on Federal lands, for starters.

Secondly, the only way that WILDLIFE can be owned is when its killed and legally tagged with a state issued license or tag. Its held in trust for the Residents of the State it resides in, the state doesn't "own" anything. There's a difference.

It always leaves me shaking my head at the total lack of basic understanding of how land ownership and control of wildlife have nothing in common.

Its also fascinating that Bigfin took the time to make this video...and some don't want to educate themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqglAucuZ34

Good grief...this will answer all of your questions.

Great idea. That’s what I will do. I will also hunt pheasant, quail, and grouse. Good Lord you are nowhere near as important as you think you are. And your opinion is even less meaningless.

Maybe, maybe not, but smart enough to know the difference between land ownership and wildlife being held in trust for the State it resides in, and that they are separate issues under the law...listen, watch, learn, and continue with the crying.

Last edited:

I really don't know what buzz hunts montana since it's no good anywAys he's said 1,000 times .

I really don't know what buzz hunts montana since it's no good anywAys he's said 1,000 times .

What I hunt these days is deer only, until Montana lays off the war they're waging on elk. I could add an elk tag to my half priced NR Native deer combo for $130 and wont do it. If they cared about elk and quit treating them like knapweed, I'd pay an additional grand without batting an eye.

Honestly, if not for hunting with my Dad, Brother, and 2 nephews who live in Montana, I probably wouldn't even buy the deer tag.

What I hunt these days is deer only, until Montana lays off the war they're waging on elk. I could add an elk tag to my half priced NR Native deer combo for $130 and wont do it. If they cared about elk and quit treating them like knapweed, I'd pay an additional grand without batting an eye.

Honestly, if not for hunting with my Dad, Brother, and 2 nephews who live in Montana, I probably wouldn't even buy the deer tag.

Honestly I was just poking fun . I agree with a lot of your posts and I do believe what you say about the montana elk herd and I do believe that they (Fwp) aren't not managing it well . I just hope things can somehow improve

Honestly I was just poking fun . I agree with a lot of your posts and I do believe what you say about the montana elk herd and I do believe that they (Fwp) aren't not managing it well . I just hope things can somehow improve

I hope so too...its going to take reaching rock bottom to see significant changes I think...and that's unfortunate.

I hope so too...its going to take reaching rock bottom to see significant changes I think...and that's unfortunate.

I agree . I been deer hunting montana for 15 plus years now but just got into elk last 5-6 , my biggest issue I see in region 4 where I hunt is they (Fwp) scream that there's too many elk and so they sell and promote the b tags , so tons of people go and road hunt the blm and bm areas (not all guys road hunt there's good hunters too ) and after first shot the cows head to inaccessible areas that you won't get on . Places that don't allow hunting but then complain to Fwp about 2,000 head of elk eating there bales etc , Fwp pushes the tags but does nothing to help with access in this case . When it comes to elk I'm not sure they know what's going on

I agree . I been deer hunting montana for 15 plus years now but just got into elk last 5-6 , my biggest issue I see in region 4 where I hunt is they (Fwp) scream that there's too many elk and so they sell and promote the b tags , so tons of people go and road hunt the blm and bm areas (not all guys road hunt there's good hunters too ) and after first shot the cows head to inaccessible areas that you won't get on . Places that don't allow hunting but then complain to Fwp about 2,000 head of elk eating there bales etc , Fwp pushes the tags but does nothing to help with access in this case . When it comes to elk I'm not sure they know what's going on

Man isn't that the truth. But here is the bottom line people buy those B tags for deer/elk/ect. It's a money thing just like everything else out there. I am pretty sure most wildlife agencies in America have became money hungry gov't agencies. Heck they drive the best SUV money can buy and have all kinds of fancy equipment to match it these days. When I was younger I can remember the wardens g ride being 10-15 years old. Now it seems they get a new 70$ grand New one every 3 years. That turns into funding problems and higher tag cost. Okay off my soap box for now.

Being a SD resident our hunting licenses are a little higher than probably most for Resident tags in other states for deer and antelope at $40/each, which I'm ok with. A NR SD deer tag is under $300, which is pretty close to where I think it should be or it could be a little higher, but whatever. Elk tag will cost me as a Resident $185 if I draw one, which I'm still ok with since the chance for an elk tag seems to be once every century! Neither of those don't break the bank as my deer and antelope tags seem to do for Montana. I wish it could be a yearly adventure to Montana, but at those prices it just can't be. Just asking on here of Montana residents, would you be in support of increasing resident pricing on tags, (big game, small game, fishing) for relief of NR hunters and fisherman? I think SD does that knowing a lot of hunting season monies come from NR. Eventhough I think SD Residents do get screwed for the small game/fishing combo license at almost $65

This is North Dakota's resident vs non resident break down. Small game is for upland and also water fowl. Both them and water fowl for non res are for either 14 days straight or can be broken into two 7 day periods. Bighorn has a nonrefundable $100 fee but the tag is only $500 if drawn. The combo license includes fishing, general game and habitat, small game and furbearer licenses. I personally think our prices are way too low for residents and I would like to see big game increase their prices specifically.

Capture.PNG

Just asking on here of Montana residents, would you be in support of increasing resident pricing on tags, (big game, small game, fishing) for relief of NR hunters and fisherman? I think SD does that knowing a lot of hunting season monies come from NR. Eventhough I think SD Residents do get screwed for the small game/fishing combo license at almost $65

Most of the Montana folks here have been involved in efforts to get MT resident fees to a level that reflects the value of the opportunity. We have done so and been subject to the wrath of politicians who say not only No, but Eff-NO! And the same person who is too busy to leave their personal name-embroidered barstool to do anything beneficial for hunting/conservation/access will leave the bar in a minute if they have the chance to bitch at a public session related to increased resident fees.

And when residents advocate for higher resident fees, the motivation is not as you asked, "to provide relief for non-residents," rather they do it to increase department funding for important things like game surveys, management plans, etc. And they do it to get resident fees to be more reflective of the amazing opportunity residents are provided. The usual end result of the effort pisses off the politicians and their local barfly pals, such that their next grand idea is to lay the leather to hunters, resident and non-resident, in some backhanded manner, as penalty for conjuring the idea of increasing resident fees.

Wish it was different.

The State doesn't run "livestock" on Federal lands, for starters.

Secondly, the only way that WILDLIFE can be owned is when its killed and legally tagged with a state issued license or tag. Its held in trust for the Residents of the State it resides in, the state doesn't "own" anything. There's a difference.

It always leaves me shaking my head at the total lack of basic understanding of how land ownership and control of wildlife have nothing in common.

Its also fascinating that Bigfin took the time to make this video...and some don't want to educate themselves:

Good grief...this will answer all of your questions.

It doesn't answer my question at all. So according to the video the wildlife is an asset held in trust by the state for the states citizens. So why can the states citizens graze/browse their assets on land held by every American citizen not just state citizens and not compensate the rest of the American citizens for it since the wildlife is an asset according to Randy? If only the states citizens get to enjoy that asset why should the other 49 states citizens allow those assets on their land? The American citizens could have more livestock grazing on their lands if a states assets wasn't competing with them. And since Americans get compensated for each head of livestock that is grazing on federal lands why would we want to let citizens of a state graze its assets for free and cut down on the revenue that we could potentially make on our land?

And buzz just because you know everything and are a genius doesn't mean you have to be a condescending something or other. And I'm sorry but Randy isn't my hero. That's the first video I've ever watched of his.

With a quick google I didn't notice where it was in the constitution that states citizens get free grazing/browsing rights of their assets on lands held by all Americans.

Hello my name is Kenny. I have a problem I'm an addict. I've been an addict going on 18 years. I have been sober for almost 365 days. However today I have fell off the wagon and it cost me well let's just round and say $1200 to feed my addiction. I am sorry for my actions and will try to do better but it's a real struggle. I guess it's the smell of juniper and sagebrush in October.

With a quick google I didn't notice where it was in the constitution that states citizens get free grazing/browsing rights of their assets on lands held by all Americans.

At least at it pertains to Montana, relevant is the Rathbone case. Cliff's Notes version of this case, a case where someone tried to remove wildlife from their property under a similar premise to what you refer to - Wildlife is considered a part of the Montana landscape. It comes as both an asset and a liability. You accept their presence as a condition of owning land in Montana.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back