Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: $1,149.84

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzH View Post
    What I hunt these days is deer only, until Montana lays off the war they're waging on elk. I could add an elk tag to my half priced NR Native deer combo for $130 and wont do it. If they cared about elk and quit treating them like knapweed, I'd pay an additional grand without batting an eye.

Honestly, if not for hunting with my Dad, Brother, and 2 nephews who live in Montana, I probably wouldn't even buy the deer tag.
    Honestly I was just poking fun . I agree with a lot of your posts and I do believe what you say about the montana elk herd and I do believe that they (Fwp) aren't not managing it well . I just hope things can somehow improve

Quote Originally Posted by 8andcounting View Post
    Honestly I was just poking fun . I agree with a lot of your posts and I do believe what you say about the montana elk herd and I do believe that they (Fwp) aren't not managing it well . I just hope things can somehow improve
    I hope so too...its going to take reaching rock bottom to see significant changes I think...and that's unfortunate.
    "...the world outside, which my brother and I soon discovered, was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana." -Norman Maclean

"They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy"
    -Norman Maclean

3. Default

I hope so too...its going to take reaching rock bottom to see significant changes I think...and that's unfortunate.
    I agree . I been deer hunting montana for 15 plus years now but just got into elk last 5-6 , my biggest issue I see in region 4 where I hunt is they (Fwp) scream that there's too many elk and so they sell and promote the b tags , so tons of people go and road hunt the blm and bm areas (not all guys road hunt there's good hunters too ) and after first shot the cows head to inaccessible areas that you won't get on . Places that don't allow hunting but then complain to Fwp about 2,000 head of elk eating there bales etc , Fwp pushes the tags but does nothing to help with access in this case . When it comes to elk I'm not sure they know what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by 8andcounting View Post
    I agree . I been deer hunting montana for 15 plus years now but just got into elk last 5-6 , my biggest issue I see in region 4 where I hunt is they (Fwp) scream that there's too many elk and so they sell and promote the b tags , so tons of people go and road hunt the blm and bm areas (not all guys road hunt there's good hunters too ) and after first shot the cows head to inaccessible areas that you won't get on . Places that don't allow hunting but then complain to Fwp about 2,000 head of elk eating there bales etc , Fwp pushes the tags but does nothing to help with access in this case . When it comes to elk I'm not sure they know what's going on
    Man isn't that the truth. But here is the bottom line people buy those B tags for deer/elk/ect. It's a money thing just like everything else out there. I am pretty sure most wildlife agencies in America have became money hungry gov't agencies. Heck they drive the best SUV money can buy and have all kinds of fancy equipment to match it these days. When I was younger I can remember the wardens g ride being 10-15 years old. Now it seems they get a new 70$ grand New one every 3 years. That turns into funding problems and higher tag cost. Okay off my soap box for now.

Being a SD resident our hunting licenses are a little higher than probably most for Resident tags in other states for deer and antelope at $40/each, which I'm ok with. A NR SD deer tag is under $300, which is pretty close to where I think it should be or it could be a little higher, but whatever. Elk tag will cost me as a Resident $185 if I draw one, which I'm still ok with since the chance for an elk tag seems to be once every century! Neither of those don't break the bank as my deer and antelope tags seem to do for Montana. I wish it could be a yearly adventure to Montana, but at those prices it just can't be. Just asking on here of Montana residents, would you be in support of increasing resident pricing on tags, (big game, small game, fishing) for relief of NR hunters and fisherman? I think SD does that knowing a lot of hunting season monies come from NR. Eventhough I think SD Residents do get screwed for the small game/fishing combo license at almost $65

This is North Dakota's resident vs non resident break down. Small game is for upland and also water fowl. Both them and water fowl for non res are for either 14 days straight or can be broken into two 7 day periods. Bighorn has a nonrefundable $100 fee but the tag is only $500 if drawn. The combo license includes fishing, general game and habitat, small game and furbearer licenses. I personally think our prices are way too low for residents and I would like to see big game increase their prices specifically.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 315
Size:  21.8 KB
    What we do in life... echoes in eternity...

Quote Originally Posted by blue devil View Post
    Just asking on here of Montana residents, would you be in support of increasing resident pricing on tags, (big game, small game, fishing) for relief of NR hunters and fisherman? I think SD does that knowing a lot of hunting season monies come from NR. Eventhough I think SD Residents do get screwed for the small game/fishing combo license at almost $65
    Most of the Montana folks here have been involved in efforts to get MT resident fees to a level that reflects the value of the opportunity. We have done so and been subject to the wrath of politicians who say not only No, but Eff-NO! And the same person who is too busy to leave their personal name-embroidered barstool to do anything beneficial for hunting/conservation/access will leave the bar in a minute if they have the chance to bitch at a public session related to increased resident fees.

And when residents advocate for higher resident fees, the motivation is not as you asked, "to provide relief for non-residents," rather they do it to increase department funding for important things like game surveys, management plans, etc. And they do it to get resident fees to be more reflective of the amazing opportunity residents are provided. The usual end result of the effort pisses off the politicians and their local barfly pals, such that their next grand idea is to lay the leather to hunters, resident and non-resident, in some backhanded manner, as penalty for conjuring the idea of increasing resident fees.

Wish it was different.
    My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run outta health before you run outta money."

8. Default

The State doesn't run "livestock" on Federal lands, for starters.

Secondly, the only way that WILDLIFE can be owned is when its killed and legally tagged with a state issued license or tag. Its held in trust for the Residents of the State it resides in, the state doesn't "own" anything. There's a difference.

It always leaves me shaking my head at the total lack of basic understanding of how land ownership and control of wildlife have nothing in common.

Its also fascinating that Bigfin took the time to make this video...and some don't want to educate themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqglAucuZ34

Good grief...this will answer all of your questions.
    It doesn't answer my question at all. So according to the video the wildlife is an asset held in trust by the state for the states citizens. So why can the states citizens graze/browse their assets on land held by every American citizen not just state citizens and not compensate the rest of the American citizens for it since the wildlife is an asset according to Randy? If only the states citizens get to enjoy that asset why should the other 49 states citizens allow those assets on their land? The American citizens could have more livestock grazing on their lands if a states assets wasn't competing with them. And since Americans get compensated for each head of livestock that is grazing on federal lands why would we want to let citizens of a state graze its assets for free and cut down on the revenue that we could potentially make on our land?

And buzz just because you know everything and are a genius doesn't mean you have to be a condescending something or other. And I'm sorry but Randy isn't my hero. That's the first video I've ever watched of his.

With a quick google I didn't notice where it was in the constitution that states citizens get free grazing/browsing rights of their assets on lands held by all Americans.

Hello my name is Kenny. I have a problem I'm an addict. I've been an addict going on 18 years. I have been sober for almost 365 days. However today I have fell off the wagon and it cost me well let's just round and say $1200 to feed my addiction. I am sorry for my actions and will try to do better but it's a real struggle. I guess it's the smell of juniper and sagebrush in October.

I am pretty sure it's time for this!

[ATTACH]81070[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by dirtytough View Post

With a quick google I didn't notice where it was in the constitution that states citizens get free grazing/browsing rights of their assets on lands held by all Americans.
    At least at it pertains to Montana, relevant is the Rathbone case. Cliff's Notes version of this case, a case where someone tried to remove wildlife from their property under a similar premise to what you refer to - Wildlife is considered a part of the Montana landscape. It comes as both an asset and a liability. You accept their presence as a condition of owning land in Montana.
    My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run outta health before you run outta money."

Quote Originally Posted by dirtytough View Post
    It doesn't answer my question at all. So according to the video the wildlife is an asset held in trust by the state for the states citizens. So why can the states citizens graze/browse their assets on land held by every American citizen not just state citizens and not compensate the rest of the American citizens for it since the wildlife is an asset according to Randy? If only the states citizens get to enjoy that asset why should the other 49 states citizens allow those assets on their land? The American citizens could have more livestock grazing on their lands if a states assets wasn't competing with them. And since Americans get compensated for each head of livestock that is grazing on federal lands why would we want to let citizens of a state graze its assets for free and cut down on the revenue that we could potentially make on our land?

And buzz just because you know everything and are a genius doesn't mean you have to be a condescending something or other. And I'm sorry but Randy isn't my hero. That's the first video I've ever watched of his.

It should have answered your question and to tack on to what Randy provided you, there is also legal precedent that the Federal Government has routinely taken a limited view on its authority to regulate wildlife on NF and BLM lands. However, there is some recognized legal standing in how the Federal Government deals with wildlife based on constitutional authority...through its right to enter into treaties with other nations, the commerce clause, and also the property clause.

You may also want to research Attorney General Knox and his legal opinion on the Forest Service's authority in regard to wildlife and its role in management.
    "...the world outside, which my brother and I soon discovered, was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana." -Norman Maclean

"They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy"
    -Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fin View Post
    Most of the Montana folks here have been involved in efforts to get MT resident fees to a level that reflects the value of the opportunity. We have done so and been subject to the wrath of politicians who say not only No, but Eff-NO! And the same person who is too busy to leave their personal name-embroidered barstool to do anything beneficial for hunting/conservation/access will leave the bar in a minute if they have the chance to bitch at a public session related to increased resident fees.

And when residents advocate for higher resident fees, the motivation is not as you asked, "to provide relief for non-residents," rather they do it to increase department funding for important things like game surveys, management plans, etc. And they do it to get resident fees to be more reflective of the amazing opportunity residents are provided. The usual end result of the effort pisses off the politicians and their local barfly pals, such that their next grand idea is to lay the leather to hunters, resident and non-resident, in some backhanded manner, as penalty for conjuring the idea of increasing resident fees.

Wish it was different.
    This helps. It's too bad not everyone is as passionate about the resource as we are. I will keep buying to a point. However, I'm a bit perplexed why I buy a hunting liscense and end up paying additional $$ for a fishing license I didn't want and then get stiffed for additional fees to fight aquatic invasive species resulting from the said fishing liscense I never wanted in the first place. Again, I think the NR is a convenient cash cow. I'm not surprised the slime bucket politicians feel that way. It's too bad other hunters feel that way as well....at least that's what I gather from some of the comments on this thread.

This has been really stimulating but the real question is how much longer until we find out if we drew so we can talk about who's going hunting and how many bullets sniper school is taking to the Custer if we draw? And what we're cooking and drinking and if we're going to have a region 7 rende

Like many other members I refuse to try opening a new tab and using Google

Quote Originally Posted by ewludwig View Post
    This helps. It's too bad not everyone is as passionate about the resource as we are. I will keep buying to a point. However, I'm a bit perplexed why I buy a hunting liscense and end up paying additional $$ for a fishing license I didn't want and then get stiffed for additional fees to fight aquatic invasive species resulting from the said fishing liscense I never wanted in the first place. Again, I think the NR is a convenient cash cow. I'm not surprised the slime bucket politicians feel that way. It's too bad other hunters feel that way as well....at least that's what I gather from some of the comments on this thread.
    This is exactly what I'm pissed about. It is crazy I've never once wet a line in Montana and probably never will yet I'm paying these stupid #as fees I don't want nor need. Seems here lately every year it's some bs

Quote Originally Posted by brownbear932008 View Post
    This is exactly what I'm pissed about. It is crazy I've never once wet a line in Montana and probably never will yet I'm paying these stupid #as fees I don't want nor need. Seems here lately every year it's some bs
    Good reason for it...but I've a feeling the facts will fly over pointed heads.

-Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Elk View Post
    It is ridiculous! As a Montana resident. I can buy a Sportsmans (Including Bear) License for $85. That's elk, deer, bear, upland birds, fishing, conservation and state land licenses.
    Disgusting that Montana stiffs the non-resident that hard.... Id spend more than $85 dollars to archery and gun hunt just deer and bear in Minnesota. If I drew a elk tag, got a small game license and fishing, id easily double that. Montana is just letting the non-resident foot the bill..
    To what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?

that's alot of typing in this thread and it's not going too solve anything....... it is, the way it is..... until next season when the same thread
    comes up again.... LOL
    Matt
    PronghornFreak.com DirtNapGear ARCHERY CENTRAL
    Death Harp Bowstrings ---- Onestringer arrow wraps
    Facebook Team Slayer<------- Click here
    IDAHO BOWFISHING ASSOCIATION - President

Good reason for it...but I've a feeling the facts will fly over pointed heads.
    Seriously, I would love to hear the logic.

21. Default

The justin timberlake video is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck-Slayer View Post
    that's alot of typing in this thread and it's not going too solve anything....... it is, the way it is..... until next season when the same thread
    comes up again.... LOL
    Matt
    +++1 on that every year! Until people actually do quit and are priced out it's happening at a much quicker pace I think than we realize for out of staters. In the end it is terrible for the future sportsman/wildlife no doubt in my mind.

Dirtytough,

Here is a link to a .PDF that covers the info you seek regarding the legalities that continue to receive Federal precedent for States ability to legally discriminate between resident and non-resident. Shared earlier.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...XA67N_xoC7mlPK
    Live to work or work to live... Your choice

Rockin' HT's 2017 MLB Champion - Hall of Famer. Giving Pete Rose a run for his $$$

Quote Originally Posted by ewludwig View Post
    seriously, i would love to hear the logic.
    prdj...

-Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by buckbull View Post
    The justin timberlake video is horrible.
    I had to troll a little bit. I wanted to play "cry me a river" but I would have certainly torqued off the masses

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast