PEAX Equipment

Persistence Pays Off

Big Sky

I've been cooped up for weeks because of the extreme winter we are having this year in this part of the state. At this same time last year I was fishing open water on local lakes and ponds. Open water is a rare commodity this year. However I was able to find a little, in part of the tail waters, along the Missouri River. The drive down Saturday morning was interesting to say the least. It was through freezing fog on icy/snowy roads. However the frost on all the trees, grass, and bushes made for one of the more beautiful drives I have been on in a while. I wish I would have, or could have, stopped and taken a few photos, but conditions on the freeway and highways were so hazardous I didn't dare pull over for fear of someone running into me. It was quite cold and never got much over 20 degrees. I think the warmest the temps reached was around 23, but most of the day was 10 degrees or colder. I fished for 5 straight hours without a single bite. During the first part of the morning I was with a couple of friends and we were drifting worms. Both of my friends caught 5 trout each. I couldn't buy a bite. After my friends left and went home I continued in the same area until I got tired of looking at the same scenery. So I decided to pack up and go try a few other open spots on the river I knew about. I also put up my worm drifting rod and pulled out a brand new ultra light St. Croix rod that I had bought earlier in the week. I really wanted to break it in while jig fishing. I tried a couple places and didn't get anything. Then I decided to go to one last spot that requires a little bit of a steep hike on a very icy snow covered trail. Man, was I ever glad I wore boots with spiked soles. I'm not sure I could have gotten in and out of the place without them. Even with them is was pretty hairy in a couple places. In fact the trail collapsed under me in one spot on the way out, but I was able to grab some bushes to keep me from tumbling 20 feet down into the river. Needless to say my heart rate went up a little there. Anyway, back to the fishing. I reached my new destination and made a few casts. The river is really high this year and the current super strong making it a little difficult to jig fish. I understand they are letting a lot more water than usual out of the dams this time of year. I searched for a pocket or two where the current wasn't so dang strong and made a few casts. On my fifth or sixth cast I finally hooked up. It took a while to land the fish as it immediately headed for the strongest current it could find. Luck was finally on my side and I was able to land this fish in the photo below. It was the only fish I caught all day, but if you are only going to catch one, this is the one to catch! Without exaggerating much, it is pert near bigger than all 10 of my two fishing partner's fish combined. I'll take one big one over a pile of little fish any day. I fished for about another half hour after landing this fish, and decided I'd had enough of freezing fingers. Plus I was getting seriously hungry so I called it a day. I was just happy to not get skunked and really happy to get outside for a day. The fishing will just get better and better the next two months. I can't wait!
attachment.php

You are a much more dedicated fisherman than I sir, I would have gave up in hour one of a day like that or not even got up and went. Congrats on a beautiful fish.

7mm08, if I hadn't been stuck inside for the better part of a month I probably would have skipped going out on such a cold day too, but I can only take so much indoors before I start to lose my mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back