What power Scope you running?

2.5x10 on my 7mag. Not sure who the "guide out west" was, but so far no one here is running a 25x scope.

I agree with you.

I thought it seemed excessive but thought I would ask anyways because I was curious about what others were using.

I use a 2x10 on my hunting rifle for whitetail, but went with the 3x15 for elk.

I’ve got a 3x9 on my .308. I hunt with it around 4 power.

I shot an elk this year with a real old Weaver fixed 4 on a .358. I grew up hunting with a fixed 4 on a 7-30 Waters, and that power is perfect for hunting timber. I suppose for a lot of western hunting a person would want a 3-9 at minimum. 20+ power seems crazy to me.
Did you use your 7x30 waters for elk? Or just for deer or antelope?

Did you use your 7x30 waters for elk? Or just for deer or antelope?

I have shot 2 cow elk with that 7-30 shooting 120 gr bullets. But without trying to start a riot on here, I think a 7-30 is a tad light for elk. Both of those cows were unexpected opportunities while hunting deer at close ranges.

I have always used the 3X9 scopes. I recently put a Trijicon 2.5X12.5 on my .300 and a 2X7 on an AR.

I used to use 3-9 but just switched to a 6x leupold. A lot of time when hunting, I get fog and I read that fixed power scopes are generally brighter - so I am giving it a try. My shots are generally under 200 yds so I am hoping this scopes works.

2.5-10x44mm Vortex Viper HS on my 7mm08 Browning Hell's Canyon Speed and a 4-16x44mm Vortex Viper HS-LR on my .30-06 Remington 700. I shot my last deer with 700 and scope set to 4x because in the heat of the moment I forgot that I could zoom it in further. In the end magnification is going to make a lot less of a difference on a scope than light transmission, field of view and optical quality. Anything in the 2/2.5-10x, 3-9x, 2-7x, 4-12x, 3-15x, etc range will be more than sufficient for like 99.9% of hunting situations that don't involve fixed blinds and solid rests.

3-10 for me, of the last dozen animals I've taken maybe one or two of those have been on anything other than the 3x setting...

I use everything from 4-12 to 5-25 power scopes depending on the purpose of the rifle and what I am hunting. I don't know where that guide is from but I would say the average new scope in use here is probably in the 4-12 range. There are tons of guys still packing fixed power scopes 4X, and 6x as well as tons of 3-9 power. It depends here where people hunt and what caliber etc.

Most of mine are 4-12X42
I have one 6-18X44
And one 4-20X50.
Just picked up a 3-9X40 Sightron SI tac that i really like.

10X was the variable power curve ceiling until the 12X (VX6 & R) and 15X (VX5) became available. I will admit that range sessions improved and I do like knowing what a rifle is mechanically capable of.

I've got a 3.5X10 on the 7/08 and 2X7 on the 338Fed. Upper range is only for range work. Made the dumbass mistake of having my scope cranked up to 9X, when all of a sudden my shot went from broadside @ 250yds to moving @ 30 yds in a nano second!

In the field they both stay at 5X, or under. I haven't Not filled a tag because of the lower magnification since.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back