PEAX Equipment

What power Scope you running?

Quest1000

Hi,
I am currently running a 3x15 burris xtr ii and love it.

My buddy talked to a friend who knew a "guide out west" and he told him everyone is running at least 25x power scopes.

I'm happy with my set up but just curious what you are using?!

I’m in the 4-12 or 4-16 camp as well. That’s plenty of magnification for me, I practice out to 500 but try to stay under 400 yds in a hunting situation.

On my the two rifles I hunt with I have a 2.5-10 and a 4-16. Most critters I’ve taken were around 200 yards and one at 300 and in all of them I never zoomed in over a 8 power. Sure 16x is nice for the bench but don’t think on antelope size or larger you’d need anything over a 3x9 or 4x12.

3-9 on most of my stuff. Have a 2-7 and a 4x too. I limit my shots accordingly depending on caliber/ weapon choice, but my absolute hunting max is 400yds.

I've bounced around a bunch of different mag ranges and scope levels, and I've settled on a 4-12 vx2 for mine and my wife's rifles. It seems like a really good balance of use and value.

I never could find the mag range I liked in the vx3. The 2.5-8 wasn't enough, and the 4.5-14 was too much scope for me.

I also have a 2-10 I really like. I like being able to dial it back to 2 and see the barrel tip through the scope. I guess my ideal scope would be 2-12.

Were they talking about a spotting scope or a rifle?:rolleyes: Your 3x15 is more than enough. Most of my elk and deer have been shot with a rifle topped with a 2x7, but also run a couple 3x9’s and a 3.5x10.

5x22 nxs, 6x24 hst, both of which have a long way to go to catch the notches in the belt of my Nikon 4x12 buckmaster..

3.5-10 is where it's at for me. Two years ago we were deer hunting in Wyoming and a buddy who brought a 300 win mag topped with a 16x scope had a malfunction. He borrowed my 270 topped with a 3-9 complained he could barely see the deer with it at 200 yards. Still baffles me I've shot plenty of deer with it out to 300 plenty of power for me. Btw he shot his deer a few days later with my gun at around 280 yards so it must not have been that hard to see.

Guide out west, that's great. Fixed 10x and 3-9 for me.

I’ve got a 3x9 on my .308. I hunt with it around 4 power.

I shot an elk this year with a real old Weaver fixed 4 on a .358. I grew up hunting with a fixed 4 on a 7-30 Waters, and that power is perfect for hunting timber. I suppose for a lot of western hunting a person would want a 3-9 at minimum. 20+ power seems crazy to me.

2.5x10 on my 7mag. Not sure who the "guide out west" was, but so far no one here is running a 25x scope.

Back