Reasonably priced (<$200) boots?

AtenJones

I’m in the market for a pair of boots for my first elk hunt this fall and need some suggestions. I’ve seen good stuff about Kenetrek, but I justcan’t justify spending nearly $500 on a pair of boots. I don’t mind making an investment, but I can’t make that work right now. Any other suggestions out there?

Thanks!

I completely understand where you are coming from....but let me just say that there is a reason that serious mountain hunters will often say that the most important piece of gear they own is their boots.
Are you planning on hunting earlier or later in the fall? If earlier, I would suggest Salomon Quest 4D. Can expect about 2 years of hard hiking (~150 miles/year in rough terrain). If later in the year, I would strongly consider spending a little more money. It would be a shame to put together the thousands of dollars it takes to come on a western hunting trip and have it ruined by blisters or a twisted ankle.

I got some Lowas on sale and I absolutely love them...definitely worth a look.

Personally I like my danners I have now with inserts...all depends on your feet

I wear danner pronghorns with superfeet orange inserts. They are clearly not best on market but its what works for my feet. Partly due to $ I also have several spare sets in various insulated weights so i always have dry boots waiting at base camp. I have tried MANY boots including some of the expensive ones and comfort always bring me back to pronghorns. I wear 14wide so selection is much of my problem. Best advice is go to a store and try on every single boot you can until it feels right. I am guessing i wear the uninsulated versions 80% of time hunting and all summer, i think many people over-insulate their feet and cause their own moisture problems. I will say not all danner boots are created equal, had a pair of high grounds? that didnt make it 40 miles before i junked them. Good luck, keep feet happy....

All boots I've bought under $200 have failed me whole on the mountains. That's more than no bueno, that's life threatening.

Look for better boots on eBay, CL, and Facebook. They are out there. While I was looking at Kennetrek, I f0und my size on eBay for $149, 3 yrs old.

Do Not Skimp on Boots. Find a way.

Hi-Tec boots Rock.Week long hunt in Az. desert after stink pigs,all cactus,rock scratches cleaned right up.
Vibram Med. soft soles picked up zero cactus/cholla cactus.2 Yrs.old look and feel new.Way less $$$.
dirtclod Az.( mink oil) P.S. Hightops

I've had 2 pairs of Danners fail me so I tell everyone to avoid them though others claim to like them.

Watch the sales on Camofire, Campsaver, REI, Backcountry, Steep and Cheap, etc. Look for Salewa, Hanwag, Zamberlan, Scarpa, Meindl, Lowa, and other famous brand boots. A lot of Mountaineering/Trekking boots are leaps and bounds better than "hunting" boots.

I"m personally a fan of Rocky boots as they don't break the bank and I have had good luck with them. Need to pick up a new pair this year as it's been 15 years in my last pair. I myself can't justify $500 for boots either, but I also don't hunt for a living.

If you're like many of us who hunt a week or two for big game there is no need to spend $400-$500 on a pair of boots. As a non-res it may be years before you have the chance to go elk hunting again and perhaps by then you will be in a better position to buy a more expensive, higher quality pair of boots. They are a luxury for sure. Someone said for you to "find a way" to buy expensive boots but you can't buy what you cant afford. Like someone we don't hunt for a living. Buy what you can afford.

Last edited:
Solid advice all around. You do need to find boots that fit your foot well. Some of the most expensive boots feel terrible for me because they are too narrow. I really liked the Keens I bought for my first elk hunt as they are wider and budget friendly.

High quality boots will last longer and are worth it if they make your feet feel great. You will hike further and hunt harder if your feet aren't bothering you. That being said I feel it's more important to stick with a budget and not overspend.

If I was you I'd find an expensive boot that fits well and try find them on sale or lightly used for a great price. Or buy boots under $200 that fit well with expectations that they won't last as long.

I bought a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Guides from Eurooptic for $300. The deals are out there if you look hard enough.

Thanks for all the advice so far! I probably should have mentioned that *at most* I'll be making about one trip out west a year. The rest of my hunting, unfortunately, will be sitting in a tree in Ohio, playing on my phone. That's why I'm having a hard time justifying that much money for a pair of boots I'll wear in the backcountry for one week a year.

Also, I don't know why I didn't even think of Rocky - I live 15 minutes from their headquarters, and have several good friends who work there. I might check and see if they've got anything that will work.

Could also "rent" a pair. Buy them for $300 somehwere, sell for $200. Just a thought.

Thanks for all the advice so far! I probably should have mentioned that *at most* I'll be making about one trip out west a year. The rest of my hunting, unfortunately, will be sitting in a tree in Ohio, playing on my phone. That's why I'm having a hard time justifying that much money for a pair of boots I'll wear in the backcountry for one week a year.

Also, I don't know why I didn't even think of Rocky - I live 15 minutes from their headquarters, and have several good friends who work there. I might check and see if they've got anything that will work.
WHile I get out West most years more than 1X/year, but my "out west" boots get plenty of use in IN hunting turkeys, squirrels, rabbits, deer, etc. I use them here as well. Just some prospective from someone in a similar situation. I do understand the affordability thing. I'd look for an all leather, waterproof boot that fits you well and go hunting. Something like the Rimrock from Cabelas would have likely worked for any hunt I've been on in the last 5 years.

https://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=rimrock&CQ_zstype=REG

IMO, don't get hung up on insulation. I use uninsulated for all my hunts out west and feel like there are a lot more suitable options for those types of hunts in the price your looking at.

I bought a pair of the Saloman Quest 4D 2 GTX last year and they feel pretty nice for my purposes. They have lots of good reviews and seem to be a notch down, price wise from the big guys. They usually go on sale during the year and at times can be found around that $150 range.

Take a look at Meindel boots from cabela's. They'll run closer to $300 but will last you a very long time if you're only hunting out west a week or two a year. Another option is Shoebuy.com. They occaisionally offer 30% off and carry Lowa and Zamberlan.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back