Gun grabbing at it again. all semi-autos.

Not all Lefties or Liberal support this bill. Living in Washington i see a shade of left that you Rocky Mt guy only dream about (nightmares), a lot of them still see this as going WAY TOO far.

Same way you conservative keep saying that just because Mr Republican Ted Cruz wants to sell all our land that you don't support that.

Quit throw gas on the fire.

Granny falls a lot the goniff queen would have damn sure harped for and signed.....astutely post mid term I'll give you.

Even with a blue senate, I can't find 60 votes. Votes pass bills, not fairy dust and magic wands. Manchin, Heitcamp, Tester, etc - blue dogs - won't vote for an AWB.

Manchin-Toomey, however, may pass in this brave new world we find ourselves.

The paint brushes you guys have must be YUGE. From all Dems are gun grabbers to all Republicans are public land sellers. Out here in the middle is a lonely place at times. It is weird that I have heard this same chapter and verse since I have been old enough to listen and still young enough to remember. First Clinton was going to take all my guns and tax ammo until we would all be sheeple. Then it was GWB and his oil buddies were going to drill gas wells on every quarter section of public lands. Then it returned to Obama was going to send the jack booted thugs to take my guns. Now it is back to either you can pry the gun out of my cold dead hands or we can kiss public lands goodbye because we voted the out rascals out then voted in new rascals.

Here is the my truth, use the Reagan doctrine of "Trust but verify". I cannot find enough votes in the Senate to over come a cloture motion to do it regardless as to whether banning "assault weapons" is in the Democrats Platform . Using the same method I cannot find 60 votes in the senate to sell off public lands regardless as to whether it is in the Republican platform.

I always take jaundiced view of absolutes in our two party system because the fringe lunatics on both ends are the ones who make headlines. I take almost no stock in what one side "wants" vs what they can actually accomplish. It is what they can actually get done that matters. Given the way our Republic operates I am fairly certain neither side will get what they "want".

Nemont

The paint brushes you guys have must be YUGE. From all Dems are gun grabbers to all Republicans are public land sellers. Out here in the middle is a lonely place at times. It is weird that I have heard this same chapter and verse since I have been old enough to listen and still young enough to remember. First Clinton was going to take all my guns and tax ammo until we would all be sheeple. Then it was GWB and his oil buddies were going to drill gas wells on every quarter section of public lands. Then it returned to Obama was going to send the jack booted thugs to take my guns. Now it is back to either you can pry the gun out of my cold dead hands or we can kiss public lands goodbye because we voted the out rascals out then voted in new rascals.

Here is the my truth, use the Reagan doctrine of "Trust but verify". I cannot find enough votes in the Senate to over come a cloture motion to do it regardless as to whether banning "assault weapons" is in the Democrats Platform . Using the same method I cannot find 60 votes in the senate to sell off public lands regardless as to whether it is in the Republican platform.

I always take jaundiced view of absolutes in our two party system because the fringe lunatics on both ends are the ones who make headlines. I take almost no stock in what one side "wants" vs what they can actually accomplish. It is what they can actually get done that matters. Given the way our Republic operates I am fairly certain neither side will get what they "want".

Nemont
Keep in mnd it WAS a Clinton that signed the first AWB.... Just saying

And then what happened in the 1994 elections? Which party lost power in congress?

Which guns were taken from you with the AWB?

Just note I don't believe bans work but I am curious what you personally lost during the time the AWB was the law of the land?

Nemont

And then what happened in the 1994 elections? Which party lost power in congress?

Which guns were taken from you with the AWB?

Just note I don't believe bans work but I am curious what you personally lost during the time the AWB was the law of the land?

Nemont
I lost the right to purchase certain guns with certain cosmetic features. I lost the right to purchase cheap ammunition that was available to shoot said guns. Maybe not a gun or ammo that everyone would want, but it was something lost non the less.One of those things has expired.

Which Reagan supported. Bush I instituted a ban on importation of assault style weapons as well (AK's, HK's, etc). That was a direct response to the cocaine wars of the 80's - early 90's.

Not every gun control advocate is a Dem folks. Reagan in particular wanted to ban guns when he was Gov of CA.

I lost the right to purchase certain guns with certain cosmetic features. I lost the right to purchase cheap ammunition that was available to shoot said guns. Maybe not a gun or ammo that everyone would want, but it was something lost non the less.One of those things has expired.

I don't think that's true, Pat.

I never had a problem purchasing weapons with detachable magazines, pistol grips or flash hiders during the AWB. I bought a few (FAL & mini-14 come to mind & I could still find a lot of accessories that were on the list). I don't think it affected ammo price either, as I was getting 200 round battle packs of .308 for next to nothing. Same with .223. It did seem to drive of the price of comm bloc magazines from $6 or $7 fo a 30 rounder to $15.

Those pre-ban weapons shot up in value a bit, but that seemed about it. The import ban of Bush I did more to drive up the cost of HK's than anything.

This was the Manchin-Toomey background check bill, not an assualt weapons ban. Two very different things, and with Trump signaling he'd likely sign Manchin-Toomey, it's worth exploring again.

Yep. Tester voted for it then. He doesn't have to follow Obama and is up for re-election this year. He won't vote for it this time. Sorry Donald, don't see 60 votes this time either.

I think the folks from California, New York, and Connecticut could share a little insight into how liberal politics can and will take the right to bear arms if given enough leeway.

Denial of an agenda is critical to long term goals. Many, many Democrat votes in Congress and the Senate are 100%. Give majorities along with a Liberal President and you will see restrictions exactly like those some here are saying won't happen. There is a large group of people, who have the power to do so, who want exactly what we are talking about.

Yep. Tester voted for it then. He doesn't have to follow Obama and is up for re-election this year. He won't vote for it this time. Sorry Donald, don't see 60 votes this time either.

Meh, I think JT votes his conscience. It's not a bad bill.

Nemont

This deserves to be displayed on page 3 as well.

I don't think that's true, Pat.

I never had a problem purchasing weapons with detachable magazines, pistol grips or flash hiders during the AWB. I bought a few (FAL & mini-14 come to mind & I could still find a lot of accessories that were on the list). I don't think it affected ammo price either, as I was getting 200 round battle packs of .308 for next to nothing. Same with .223. It did seem to drive of the price of comm bloc magazines from $6 or $7 fo a 30 rounder to $15.

Those pre-ban weapons shot up in value a bit, but that seemed about it. The import ban of Bush I did more to drive up the cost of HK's than anything.
Then you weren't buying post ban guns from a dealer. I was getting Norinco 7.62 ammo for 68 bucks a thousand. I was an FFL at the time. Don't tell me things weren't keeping certain items from being bought, it wasn't a law that banned nothing.

Nemont

I want directions to whatever thinking stump you've been on. Well put.

Then you weren't buying post ban guns from a dealer. I was getting Norinco 7.62 ammo for 68 bucks a thousand. I was an FFL at the time. Don't tell me things weren't keeping certain items from being bought, it wasn't a law that banned nothing.

Stores & pawn shops. It made things more expensive, and it didn't do what proponents claim. YMMV.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back