Caribou Gear

Cannelure Bullets

Brian in Montana

My next question as I learn to handload rifle ammo has to do with cannelure bullets, primarily as it pertains to seating depth. I've done some reloading with Nosler AB's (no cannelure), but I've long been fond of Hornady bullets and their Interlocks and SST's all have a cannelure.

I recently put together a batch of test loads for my 7-08 using 139gr Hornady Interlock BTSP's. I've killed a lot of deer and a couple of elk with those and they're my favorite cup-and-core bullet. Anyway, I'm setting my seating depth just by measuring the COL of the bullet and just going by the standard in the Hornady manual, shooting for a COL of 2.775". When I loaded these, I notice the bullet is seated where the rim of the case mouth is slightly below the cannelure. I know the cannelure is there to provide a little "grip", so to speak, when the bullet is seated.

So, that's the scenario. I guess my question is kind of obvious - is this a problem?

The canny is there for adding a crimp to the neck around the bullet after seating.
It won't hurt a thing to have it above the rim of the neck. But it does look out of place that way doesn't it.
If you don't crimp and don't like it being above the rim, then seat them a little deeper or don't buy the bullets that have them in the future.
They'll shoot fine either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back