Practice Arrow recommendations

AtenJones

Never shot archery before, but bought a Diamond Infinite Edge a couple weeks ago. Bought some arrows with it (online), and had no idea what I was doing. They were under-spined, and the ones that aren’t broken are lost in the bushes somewhere (or the ground - how do arrows just disappear into the ground!?). So - I need some new arrow recommendations. I’d like something fairly cheap, since I’m learning and will probably lose some more. I’m heading on an elk hunt this September, and will want something a little better for that obviously. So, any recommendations for practice arrows I can learn on for the next few months that won’t break the bank? Also, I assume I should practice with the arrows I’ll actually hunt with as much as possible, once I won’t lose them as frequently,of course.

OK, first off I might sound like an ass here, but no arrow should be lost in the ground if the bow is properly sighted in. Go to a local shop and sight in the bow. That shop also should be able to help pick the proper weight arrow as I don't believe I'm an expert. I myself shoot a 250, but I' don't shoot elk or antelope, just deer in MN :) Second off, arrows are not cheap as I'm sure you have noticed. You should practice with the same arrow you hunt with and that will be $10-15 PER arrow :) So quit loosing them. FYI - I prefer Carbon Express arrows, look for deals from time to time on camofire. Welcome to the sport :)

Any with a good reputation(easton, goldtip, CE, etc), matching the spine and weight for your draw length and poundage will work. Get a dozen or two. Save six for broadheads and if you burn through the others missing targets buy another dozen later. $10-15/arrow might seem expensive but compared to rifle ammo pretty cheap.

https://www.goldtip.com/Resources/Calculators.aspx can get you close.

Might want to ask pro shop or if you're really into it use ontarget or similar to get a more accurate recommendation. To determine proper weight use absolute minimum of 5grains/pound of draw weight. Most hunters shoot 6-8 grains/pound. For front of center anything over 10% is a general recommendation.

You also might want to move closer to your target until you are getting fist-sized groups. Like 5-10 yards as a maximum distance. The only reason you are missing your target is because you are too far away and haven't developed good groups. You shouldn't loose any more arrows if you are too close to miss! :)

All great advice so far. Definitely go to a pro shop, and definitely move closer to the target if your trying to sight in. As an example, I put a new sight on my bow this winter and started off at 5 yards just to get windage correct. Makes it much less frustrating when you step back to actually zero in.

Great, thanks for all the advice so far! And yes - shooting from closer is probably a good idea! I was nailing it at 20 yards, but I knew the arrows I had weren't the right spine, and I was going to get new ones soon... so.... I stepped back quite a bit, just to see what would happen. Let's just say I need more practice!

I was having a hard time swallowing $10/arrow - but when I realized I'd easily spend way more than that on rifle ammunition, and not even blink, it made it a much easier decision. I'll be picking up some quality ones asap.

Thanks!

Just curious, did you have your bow setup at a local shop? If not, you really should. They can help you adjust the draw length and weight.

Do this before you buy your arrows. They will need to be selected and cut for your particular setup.

Fitting a bow is an art and worth having a bow tech professional help you if you’re new.

Congratulations on the new purchase. I would echo a lot of the advice given. Stop in at a good archery pro shop. Not a big box store, but a good pro shop. They will adjust the bow to fit you and tune the bow and arrow combination. Bows are a fine tuned instrument as you will find out. Also get tips on proper grip and form and use consistent anchor points. Like mentioned oned, start close and work back. Many good arrows out there. On the cheaper side, I used beeman bowhunters for a while and they shot well. I have also been happy with gold tips, easton, and carbon express. Like mentioned use the same arrows for practice and hunting.

Be sure to practice shooting uphill and down hill and in practical shooting positions (kneeling, etc.) and with the clothing and gear you will hunt in. Good luck on the hunt!

for what its worth, I use Cabelas Carbon Hunters. 1/2 dozen costs $33 on sale. I use Cabelas points to buy them so essentially they're free. I just started shooting archery again after a lengthy layoff. Used to shoot a High Country bow with Easton XX75's, fingers, and a pin sight (no peep). Now I have a Diamond Deploy, release, rear peep, pin front, QAD Ultrarest, etc......man what a difference, even with supposedly crappy arrows.

My plan is to shoot the Cabelas cheapies until mid-summer, get my form grooved and shoot a bunch (targets and ground squirrels and maybe a jack rabbit or two), then buy some high-dollar, super straight arrows, tune my bow to them and go hunting.

My suggestion would be to go to a pro shop where they have arrow displays and look them over, have them help you make sure they are the correct spine and cut them to your length. Start with a half dozen with field points and then go to town practicing. My dad has that same bow and has a blast shooting it!

What nearly everyone else said. Having an actual person set up a bow is important. Having them recommend arrows would also help. Bows are one of the few things that you can't just order online for hunting. They're like a finely tailored suit; they take someone that knows what they're doing to make it fit you perfectly.

Yep...very first step to archery is acknowledging that you don't know anything about archery, and find a local shop that you trust to give you help and good information.

You should pick up some of Ted Nugent's zebra striped hot pink Gold Tips. You won't lose those puppies and they're endorsed by the whackmaster himself so you know they're good.

My bow is properly sighted in, and I've lost arrows. Shit happens.

I use the same arrows for practice and hunting. Either learn how to do work on your own bow, and/or find a reputable pro shop.

The red head blackouts at basspro are great arrows and they're cheap. Gold tip makes them. Good luck. Keep practicing and you'll be golden by September.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back