Caribou Gear Tarp

Does anybody hunt larger game with a 25-06?

My advice is to ignore anybody that says speaks in generalities or absolutes (like "ignore that guy") because in my experience those are usually BS artists that repeat the Internet chatter because they have no direct experience.

Any way you cut it a 25-06 is a niche caliber that is great on deer and smaller game but it's marginal for larger animals in the hands of an average hunter.

Isn't this a generality with an absolute statement thrown in the mix?

I use my .243 on elk. Even in the sagebrush.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would never hesitate to hunt elk with a 25-06 if I was comfortable with it, and I knew it was accurate. I'd use a bonded/monolithic in 100/110gr or a non-bonded in 115/120gr and never look back.

It's funny about the comment regarding the "wishing I had a smaller caliber" when it was all said and done. There have been several instances where I realized that I could've harvested animals with my 30-06 or .308 instead of my 300 RUM or 7.82 Warbird....and therefore, I now hunt more with "smaller" yet, very capable, calibers that I'm more comfortable with, and that have the barrel life and recoil characteristics that make them easy to shoot a lot, and become intimate with. After all, if you can make it practically an extension of yourself, your success rates will go up in almost any shot circumstances that you or 99% of your peers would find yourselves in.

It's funny about the comment regarding the "wishing I had a smaller caliber" when it was all said and done. There have been several instances where I realized that I could've harvested animals with my 30-06 or .308 instead of my 300 RUM or 7.82 Warbird

You do realize those are all the same caliber right?

I will go ahead and re-agree with ishootdasmallones and say
shot placement > bullet selection > caliber
We are making this way too complicated... I’m just trying to avoid novice hunters wounding elk.

I’d look at it this way.. Several people here saying 25-06 is just fine, several say it’s fine with several limitations including bullet selection, range limits and waiting for the perfect shot (not exactly a high endorsement, but all important criteria that should always be considered). Then there are those suggesting that they would not use it, use a larger caliber and if its all you have then use it. Nobody seems to doubt the 308. Since you already want to get one, Id go that route and bring the quarter bore for backup. You will not question using it and that may up your confidence.

If a bull is at 500 yards, quartering towards you, would a guy have 100% confidence that the bullet will penetrate?

If a bull is at 500 yards, quartering towards you, would a guy have 100% confidence that the bullet will penetrate?

I'm not going to take a 500yd shot on a bull with a 25-06, and most people aren't capable of a 500yd shot even with a bigger cartridge. You're conflating two different "ethical dilemmas" in this scenario.

In 90% or more hunting scenarios that you're likely to encounter, a decent bullet in a 25-06 within 300yds, you'll get a dead elk.

To each their own (I get it, some guy kills elephants with .22lr), but I use 2000fps/1500 ft-lbs as terminal minimum guides for larger than deer non-dangerous game. A 25-06 shooting 115gn TTSX drops below this at 255yds. For deer-size, I use 1800fps/1000 ft-lbs - here a 25-06 with 100gn TTSX gets you to 475yds. I have no doubt a 25-06 would kill a elk at 500 yds, but it wouldn't be my choice if I was able to plan ahead. Do with this info what you wish.

I was witness to a hard quartering shot on a mature bull at about 400 yards some years ago. We never recovered him. Just me, but I wouldn't take a 500 yard hard quartering shot with a .25-06 after that experience. I know smaller cartridges kill elk, but that type of shot is exactly why I elk hunt with the cartridge I do. mtmuley

You've got to place your shots regardless of .223 or .338 RUM. Little to no difference in results. The fact that a thread on whether a 25-06 is adequate for elk goes 3 pages shows just why elk harvest stats are so low with people buying elk licenses.

Two big game rifles ready to go at all times is a great idea. You never know when you'll have gun/scope trouble and it's great to have a backup. Therefore, buy a .30-06 that's the same brand as the 25 so that you'll be used to the bolt, safety, etc.
We were driving out to NM years ago for DIY private ranch elk hunt. We needed a third hunter and my buddy got his friend to sign up. I didn't know the guy. On the drive, I ask what he's shooting. He normally shot a .30-06 but was informed by another friend that it wouldn't do. He gave him his unsighted 300 WBY to take. Along about Clayton, he advises us that he needs ammo. His luck day, as we found a shop that had all kinds. He almost choked at the price! We got in a day early to scout, etc. He went down the hill to sight the rifle. 16 shots later and he was still six inches low at 100. He had to quit, as he was almost out of bullets. Well, luck stayed on his side, and he killed a bull at close range on day two. We even drove the truck to it and backed into a ditch so that we could easily pull the bull into the bed. Amazing.
Obviously, shooting what you are familiar with and have confidence in is better than what this fella did.

Hmmm...again, glad elk don't read hunting threads or ballistic tables.

7-08 140 AB, 2850 MV...629 yards, under 1000 ft-lbs. Broke ribs and exited.

DSC00699.JPG

Same, same rifle and data...just short of 500 yards, probably 1200 ft-lbs.

DSC00064.JPG

Same...just shy of 400 but below 1500 ft-lbs.

IMG_1386.JPG

7 RM, 610 yards, 1350 ft-lbs.

P1240767.JPG

You've got to place your shots regardless of .223 or .338 RUM. Little to no difference in results. The fact that a thread on whether a 25-06 is adequate for elk goes 3 pages shows just why elk harvest stats are so low with people buying elk licenses.
While not all that experienced or good at elk hunting, I see more than a bit of truth and wisdom in this post. For me, finding elk is more of a hurdle to me killing them than what I shoot them with...

Now you're just trolling. Go ahead and pick apart the syntax, and gloss over the context regarding the CARTRIDGE.

You’re right, sorry. I think any of those you mentioned are better options than a 25-06.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back