Does anybody hunt larger game with a 25-06?

So let me get this straight...a .257 120 grain bullet, traveling at 3000FPS muzzle velocity...retained energy at 400 yards of 1200ish ft/lbs and impact velocity of 2K isn't enough for elk?

Got it...I'm just thankful animals don't read hunting forums.

Just curious how this happened?

muledeerdoe.JPG

89 yards through lungs, busted rib on entry side, bullet lodged under hide on off side, .22 magnum, 40 grain JHP, CCI maxi-mag...maybe 150 ft/lbs at that range, maybe 1200 FPS.

Didn't make it 20 yards...

A friends mom kills her elk every year with her 257 Roberts and 115 grain partition. Put a good bullet in a good place and good things happen

I agree with Don.

Buzz, what about my post do you disagree with?

Last edited:
Anyone that says the 25/06 and a 115-120 grain partition, accubond, or other decent bullet wont work just fine on elk...is just flat wrong.

I wouldn't bother buying another rifle, just spend time shooting the one you have and use a good bullet. My family has always had good luck with the 120 partition being pushed in that 3000 fps range.

I’m confused, did anyone on this thread say a 25-06 wouldn’t kill an elk? My point is that a 25-06 is on the lighter side for elk and that shot placement better be perfect.

Last edited:
OK, I've never shot an elk with a 25-06, but I'm going to go ahead and weigh in here. Yep, I believe it will kill an elk; I also know a couple of guys that have killed elk w/ a .243 - that doesn't mean it's optimal. My advice to the original poster is, if you think you'll be hunting elk much in the future, you should invest in another rifle.

But if you proceed with the 25-06, don't skimp on the bullets. Go with a bonded bullet, partition, maybe an A-Frame, or as fast as a 25-06 tends to shoot, a monolithic bullet would probably be the best choice. You're definitely going to want something that will hold together. Rapid expansion bullets are not a good idea, IMO.

My only experience with a .25-06 is with deer. Shot a buck behind the shoulder, broadside, at about 80 yards with a 117GR Partition and it went 30 yards and tipped over.

OK, I've never shot an elk with a 25-06, but I'm going to go ahead and weigh in here. Yep, I believe it will kill an elk; I also know a couple of guys that have killed elk w/ a .243 - that doesn't mean it's optimal. My advice to the original poster is, if you think you'll be hunting elk much in the future, you should invest in another rifle.

But if you proceed with the 25-06, don't skimp on the bullets. Go with a bonded bullet, partition, maybe an A-Frame, or as fast as a 25-06 tends to shoot, a monolithic bullet would probably be the best choice. You're definitely going to want something that will hold together. Rapid expansion bullets are not a good idea, IMO.
^^^^^this

Shot placement > Bullet selection > Caliber

I agree with this. Caliber is still part of the equation though. I don't think anyone would disagree that a 300wm or 338wm would be more forgiving than a 25-06. Any of them will kill an elk just as dead, I'm not denying that. If you are only going to be elk hunting once every few years and want to stick with the deer rifle that you are comfortable with and can shoot well, I think that is probably smart. Just be careful with your shot selection. If you want to buy another gun of higher caliber, I don't think you will regret it. But you still have to be able to shoot it well.

Not much mention about the notion of getting closer.i have shot nearly every bull at under 200 yds.
My concern has always been bullet function at close range.

Not much mention about the notion of getting closer.i have shot nearly every bull at under 200 yds.
My concern has always been bullet function at close range.

Close is good. But nothing wrong with being prepared for not close. mtmuley

I agree with this. Caliber is still part of the equation though. I don't think anyone would disagree that a 300wm or 338wm would be more forgiving than a 25-06. Any of them will kill an elk just as dead, I'm not denying that. If you are only going to be elk hunting once every few years and want to stick with the deer rifle that you are comfortable with and can shoot well, I think that is probably smart. Just be careful with your shot selection. If you want to buy another gun of higher caliber, I don't think you will regret it. But you still have to be able to shoot it well.

Intuitively you would think so, but in practice. Many goat rodeos have been caused by 300 mags and hits around the edges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back