Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Truck bed camping

Can you drive down the road with a truck tent or would you have to take it down?
I just slide it off while its still assembled. Do what I need to do with the truck. Slide it back on upon returning to camp. While on the ground, the tent sits like a regular tent and the weight of my sleeping gear keeps it from blowing away.

I have done it many times. Usually it has worked great. For a November hunt when there may be a lot of wet snow, my main advice is to be sure to have a good heat source to keep your boots from freezing solid overnight. Not having that cost me an elk hunt several years ago.
This too

If you go with a topper I would highly suggest one that the front window can be folded down so you can at least clean between the truck window and the topper window. Dust,dirt, snow, slush, ice falls between the two and it is a PITB to clean out unless you un-bolt the topper and slide it back. Also makes for a ton of noise if you have ice chunks scraping back and forth.

If you go with a topper I would highly suggest one that the front window can be folded down so you can at least clean between the truck window and the topper window. Dust,dirt, snow, slush, ice falls between the two and it is a PITB to clean out unless you un-bolt the topper and slide it back. Also makes for a ton of noise if you have ice chunks scraping back and forth.

The topper I bought has that drop down window. Mystery solved! :)

I'm really struggling with my next truck. I like the full four door option, but with a 6' bed it makes a long truck. I really want a long bed but the extra seating for the family will most likely take priority.

I would say extended cab with a long bed......I had a 4 door Tacoma (which was a great truck) but I did use the back seat that often and ALWAYS wished I had a long bed.

You may be able to get by sleeping diagonally. I've got a 5.5' box on a Nissan Titan 4 door and can sleep fine in the back and I'm 6'.

As long as you feel secure within the environment, Truck bed camping can be a wonderful way to get in a hunt you may not otherwise be able to shell $$$$ out of the wallet.

I pulled a 4 day stay many years ago and learned a lot. Then did it dozens of times after and had a better job of it.

~ Sleeping in the cab....sucks....sucks....sucks !
~ A couple of home blankets and a pillow will let you sleep better than a mediocre sleeping bag and a backpack for your head rest.
~ ANY cover over the bed is better than 'Sleeping under the stars".
~You can make a adequate base pad from left over carpet padding, if the temps don't get too low (and you have enough Duct Tape to piece it together.)
~ Sleep with your head toward the gate.

Aside from that $0.02, spend a couple weekend nights and see what works for you. Hell, get the kids involved and make it a at home camping trip !

Simple solo archery elk hunt:

attachment.php

Loaded up for wife's 4th season elk:

uc

Snuggled with the pup while it was 8 degrees outside:

uc

Heading home after success:

uc

Good looking setup Vanish!

What's everyone doing for food prep? I feel like a backpack jetboil type of stove might be a little extreme... I have a little tailgating 2 burner coleman grill that seems a little overkill and big. Also have a single burner on legs that we use for shrimp boils that might work...

...and thoughts/experiences?

Not a fan of toppers. Luckily I am sawed off and can just roll into the backseat of the Tundra. I've had it for about 22 months and have 119 nights sleeping in the backseat. Last weekend I was at Freezeout and when the alarm went off, I just started the truck and cranked the heat....something like a 10 minute snooze.

Good looking setup Vanish!

What's everyone doing for food prep? I feel like a backpack jetboil type of stove might be a little extreme... I have a little tailgating 2 burner coleman grill that seems a little overkill and big. Also have a single burner on legs that we use for shrimp boils that might work...

...and thoughts/experiences?
I use the same 2 burner coleman it's small enough to store without taking up a bunch of space and can make a meal in a hurry.

I spent 3 fishing trips cruising the rivers in colorado in my self made camper setup. I had a leer 100xq ? i think thats the model. 2 pop out windows and a one solid flush hatch.... Here is what I learned. When its cold you are protected, just use any normal cold weather gear and you should be fine.

On the other hand... when it gets hot.... it sucks.. you need to find a way to move air inside. If I did it again I would make a small portable box with batteries and a small electric fan. i would also pick a topper with better ventilation options and maybe opt for the door model and ditch the tailgate. Trying to maneuver a gate and get out of the truck at 2 am in the dark is a pain in the ass.

Mine was elevated off the truck bed as well. I would built and enclosed box this time around with drawer storage, which I would fill with clothes for insulation.

I have a battery tent fan, open both side windows (if you have them). I replaced one of the window screws with a small hook same diameter to hang the fan from. Problem is that it is so quiet that sometimes I forget to turn it off.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back