Truck bed camping

This pad has been an absolute game changer for me while truck camping. I used to just use my light weight backpacking pad which is not much wider than my shoulders and a bit thin to comfortably sleep on my side. This new pad is plenty wide to sleep however I want, has enough thickness to never feel the truck bed and has an excellent R value (9.5). It’s so nice to ehen we have extra guests at my house, I don’t hesitate to have someone use it in a pinch. I swear it’s as nice as my bed. There is no need for a cot or anything below it either. I can’t recommned it enough.

https://www.rei.com/product/113719/exped-megamat-10-sleeping-pad

Used 1/2" plywood for it all to save on weight, works fine for me. I toss gear on on top. Kitchen on the bottom and my bow case on the other side. When I get to my hunting area I'll toss the gear on my shell's roof rack and my bed is a $8 walmart find. This setup has been pretty awesome, highly mobile and has saved me tons having a organized kitchen, I'll cook on my way out rather than eat fast food etc...

Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 16.58.50.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-10 at 16.59.48.png

Last edited:
I use a rooftop tent. I was skeptical at first, but I love it now. Move comfortable sleep I've gotten "camping".

Last pickup I had purchased used with a caravan brand topper on it. Steel cap, roof rack, barn doors on the back. I've spent many nights in the back, the only thing I ever did was to cover the top with a blanket, then a tarp to keep weather off. The little bit of insulation from the blanket was enough to change the temperature differential so I didn't get condensation on the roof when it got cold. The barn doors were the best part, I could grab the roof rack and get in with a small step to sleep, and not have my short fat ass trying to climb up onto the tailgate.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back