Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Northern NY adventures with crossbowguy

brassicas2018.jpgbrassicafield.jpg

Must have planted my brassicas at the perfect time! They are coming great and should provide the deer with a special treat come fall!

Couple of last minute projects were completed this past weekend. My two hunting buddies and I walked around my property the weekend before checking out water sources and noticed that the water situation wasn't looking good. To fix this we bought 2 water tubs one 50 gallon and one 110 gallon tank. We spent the morning this last Saturday planning where to put them. We normally have 4 dug ponds that hold water year round but with as dry as it is this year only one is still holding water and the rest dried up. So we wanted to put these tubs in a place near food by bedding cover where they would self fill after a rain, but easy enough to get to so we could haul water to them on a dry year like this year. The fifty gallon tub we placed between two food plots near bedding cover inside a stand of 40 year old red pine. The big one as the picture shows we placed on the edge of cover in a drainage ditch between bedding cover and the food. It should be a hot spot this year just wish we could have got these in back in the spring.

Waterhole2018.jpg

The second project I have been working on is with the really cold days we can get in the later part of the hunting season it is nice to have a place to get into where it is warm and dry out of the wind. I finished closing this in last night, but have some finishing touches to do to the inside to make is nice to hunt out of!
TerinsPad2018.jpg

Last night was warm about 76 degrees with wind out of the SW, but a cold front was supposed to push through dropping the temps into the high 30's winds switching to out of the north, so I was pretty excited to get in the stand. The stand I chose I have been staying out of there on purpose so the does feel safe feeding in there and it is working. five minutes into the sit and the first doe walked out. She stood in the same spot and fed on beans for 10 minutes before finally taking a step. she milled around slowly before finally going over and bedding at the edge of the plot next to some grey bark dogwood brush. 40 minutes later she stood and started feeding again. Two other deer stepped out across a clearing and ended up under an apple tree 140 yards away. Big doe and a very small fawn. The fawn danced around and ended up in the clover plot just across from the soybean. The commotion spooked the first doe and she retreated to another plot I call my first food plot ahead of me and to the right about 100 yards out of site from my position. Her hasty retreat put the second big doe on guard and she went in investigative mode search where the other doe had laid down and fed, then she disappeared into the brush at the end of the soybean field, leaving her fawn to gorge in the soybeans. Unfortunately these were the only deer sightings last night, but I know if I stay out of that area till the rut the does will feel comfortable in there, and they will bring in the buck when the time is right. Time to go back and hunt my water holes and transition areas between bed and food. Crossbow season starts the 10th and muzzleloader on the 13th, followed by rifle season on the 20th. I wish everyone else out there the best of luck and congrats to the hunters that have scored already!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back