Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Northern NY adventures with crossbowguy

Saturday morning my buddy went up to my land at daylight, hiked to the SW corner of my property into some bottom land near a wet area of cattails. About 200-300 yards to the south is a soybean field on the neighboring farm. About a half hour after daybreak out walked a giant doe, who kept looking over her shoulder. That had my buddy on full alert when the one eared doe walked out behind her. The one eared doe is a legend on my farm and she must be super old because we have been watching her for several years. My buddy was trying to get pics of her to send to me and his dad when the does started looking over their shoulders again. He quickly put away the phone and grabbed his rifle. At 30 yards this heavy horned 8 point steps out and stands there. My buddy shoots and the buck takes off, he shoots again just before it gets out of site and it piles up. We were always taught shoot shoot you may never see them again. The does stood there for a few minutes as he calmed down and then took off as he climbed down to claim his buck. He took the two pics of it laying on the ground and sent us texts BBD. We all went up to help him get it out of the woods and weigh it. 210lbs dressed, 19 1/2 inch outside spread with good mass! The best buck killed on my land since I bought it in 2005!!!!

2018 was a great season, more big bucks hit the ground than I ever remember in the past in NNY! Even though I did not get the big boy I was hoping for this year, one of my buddies did, and we hunt like a pack of wolves so it was a win for us as a group. It also told me that what we are doing with our management plan is working. All the pictures that I saw from friends, family and facebook showed that more people are letting the little bucks grow up and more people in NY are starting to see and shoot bigger bucks.

This site has been a true enjoyment sharing the experiences that I have up here with all of you. I have made some pretty good internet friends on here, and look forward to continuing those, with the potential of a hunt swaps in the future.

I am looking forward to the prospects of what can be with this 2019 season, looking forward to more habitat improvement projects, and seeing what kind of bucks will be available in the spring for next fall. I don't look forward to the long cold winter, but will take in as much icefishing, rabbit hunting and predator control as I can to pass the time.

To all of my HuntTalk family and friends have a great holidays and New years!

My coyote hunter buddies have been doing their best to control these beasts from predation on my deer herd but it's been a tough year for the hound heads. Ice and crusted snow is hard on the hound's feet, so they haven't ran the coyotes as much as they would have in years past. My two close hunting buddies have called in a few coyotes and taken 3-4 deer killers, but it is still a tough year on the deer. Deep snow 3 foot deep with a 2 inch crust is makin g it easy for coyotes to chase down and kill deer this year and so far we have found 2 young buck dead due to the coyotes. We do have some good weather coming soon so I hope it knocks this snow down so the deer can find some good footing again, and be able to get to the food under the snow.

Hope you all are wintering well, and your trip planning is going well! Any plans I had were hindered by the gov't shut down, but should still have time to do something out west. Planning more land improvements for my properties in northern NY, excitedly waiting for the snow to settle so I can get out and get these started. I also winter like an old bear so I need a little exercise!

Great pics!

GO BILLS!!!! I have that hat and wear it out here in Idaho and get no love! A lot of people don't even know who the bills are. Lol

2019 has started out pretty good. The family has been doing some fishing and my buddies have been taking a turkey here and there. I will get on here when I have a minute and post some more pics and maybe some videos as well. I wish everybody the best of luck on the upcoming season. Spring planting will be taking up a majority of my time with a fishing trip scattered in her and there. I have one big building project for this summer to get my sawmill under cover. Thank you all for following along!

Went fishing with my father and daughter and she got her first crappie and first walleye! Great memories made on a beautiful weekend!!!!!

Attachments

• 345296CB-44FE-4996-BFAF-416B7E6CA47E.jpeg
    345296CB-44FE-4996-BFAF-416B7E6CA47E.jpeg
    862.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 6A4C8001-57D6-48F5-89D4-3083B6A27B03.jpeg
    6A4C8001-57D6-48F5-89D4-3083B6A27B03.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members