First Wall Tent?

Yotkilr

Looking into getting a wall tent to add to our arsenal. Right now we mostly stayin our old camper that we will stay in when on our more accessible hunts like WY lope and deer hunting not in the mountains. then we also have our light weight pack able tents for hiking in and camping. Hoping to have an in between for if shorter trip and don't wanna pull the camper or having a base camp a little farther in then we can pull a trailer.

We know really nothing about them what to look for and what to stay away from? What brands are the best bang for the buck? Don't have a huge budget as expecting my first child and so iv'e been told they cost some money lol, but also would rather spend some extra for something that will last me and won't wish in a year that i had gotten something nicer. Whats good brands and where to buy them from for best price? What size should we be looking for? (will have usually 2-4 people staying in it we do have the bunk bed cots to help save space) also interested in a wood stove for it. Again don't know much about them so any input is greatly appreciated.

Any advice is greatly appreciated thanks everyone,

Shayne

As far as I know, there are not a lot of bad brands. Davis, WallTentShop, Colorado, etc.

As far as size, the bigger the better. At min probably a 14x16. If you go with a smaller size tent, then it may be to your advantage to get a side stove jack and run your pipe out sideways.

As far as stoves, it is hard to beat a 4/5 dog stove. I would also look for an inline spark arrestor even though that is personal preference.

I have a 10x10 Spike Tent from the WallTentShop, that I got for $450 on sale.

You are probably in luck, because now is the time of year some of the companies have their sells and you may be able to find something at a reduced cost.

I think the prevailing wisdom will be something along these lines....while there are many decent tents you won't find a better tent or service than Davis, period. Their stuff is beyond reproach and service is awesome. After quite a few years of of research while using an Army surplus tent my hunting partner pulled the trigger on a Davis at the Denver Sportsman show(sale). We ended up with a 15x18 to have a little extra room for 4 and the possible odd visitor. We also got the angle kit and are going for the collapsible stove for ease of packing. They also have a sale in the spring......a 14x16 with angles should be under $1000. Not cheap but bombproof. These are the tents that people pass on to their kids :)

Would definitely look at Davis. We have a 14x16 and have slept 6 with a stove but it was tight. It is just about right for 4 guys

I've had a Kwik Kamp tent for probably 10 years now. Withstood winds in the 50's and never had a problem. The only thing I don't care for is the side stove jack. Had to weld a flange on the stove top to be able to screw the pipe to so it won't pull out when the high winds get to flapping the tent walls. I also built a support tripod for the stove pipe outside the tent so the pipe doesn't rest on the stove jack although it may not be a huge deal.

Denver tent is one of the best. 12x14 with bunks would be big enough for 4. I have 1 window on each side and one on the back wall. Metal frame and a 3 or 4 dog stove screw the chimney sections together with sheet metal screws so wind can't pull them apart. get the heavier weight canvas and it will last as long as you take care of it.

I think the prevailing wisdom will be something along these lines....while there are many decent tents you won't find a better tent or service than Davis, period. Their stuff is beyond reproach and service is awesome. After quite a few years of of research while using an Army surplus tent my hunting partner pulled the trigger on a Davis at the Denver Sportsman show(sale). We ended up with a 15x18 to have a little extra room for 4 and the possible odd visitor. We also got the angle kit and are going for the collapsible stove for ease of packing. They also have a sale in the spring......a 14x16 with angles should be under $1000. Not cheap but bombproof. These are the tents that people pass on to their kids :)

This. They are very well made and excellent customer service. Call them with any questions you have, they are great guys. Mine is a 14x16 and works ok with 4 people but you wouldn't want more. I have a Kwik Kamp stove that I like and a Mr Heater Hunting Buddy for mornings. The combo works very well. Also search wall rent posts on here. There are a lot great information and suggestions.

Last edited:
I would get a rain fly to go with it. Snow slides off easier and it will help with down pours and keep embers off of your roof.
Look in the back o0f a Bugle magazine, lots of wall tent makers advertise there, many good brands, Davis is a big tent company and in Denver so they get lots of exposure.
Montana tent companies would have great experience with mountain tents too.
Internal frame kits is the way to go, get the angles then cut your own conduit, Davis will send the exact lengths to cut for you.
You might look into an awning for over the front also.

Davis spring sale right now, call and ask if they have anything sitting around that was ordered but not claimed, might get a great deal, we did one summer on a tent .

I have a tepee and a 12x14 reliable tent and tepee. When we go crabing my wife and I sleep on an air mattress and my kids sleep in pack and plays. As said above its real nice for two guys all your gear and a stove. I have a camp chef wood stove it's nice and light but seems to be durable. I love my tepee when it's big enough to sleep two on cots. It's great for rainy trips I have been in some down pours for hours and nothing got wet.

I have had similar experience with Davis. They can stand up to anything and great customer service. I agree that the 14x16 should be about right for 4 people. Keep an eye out on their monthly specials and you may be able to save a couple hundred. Also, others have mentioned this as well but 4 dog stoves are top notch. Both will last forever if taken care of.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back