PEAX Equipment

Montana 312/Bridger West Slope

Greenhorn is one of the elk masters you would do good to listen all jokes aside.
Some of us locals just get up early and park around the corner from Greenhorn's place. We follow him up (if we can keep up) and we occasionally get a chance at a 350ish bull he passes up. If you and your crew join us ... we may have to charter a bus.:)

Those 3rd class Greenhorn drainages are better than many peoples' first. I'm sure there will be more than one person who is at those trailheads next season because of this thread.
And don't feel bad. I have worn some leather off in the Bridgers before I knew what it was like to see more than 5 elk a year. Kudos for doing a little homework and coming to the table with a spot picked out. Despite a few nut shots here and there, that's why you now have a handful of decent spots to work with.

As much as it pains me to do so, I can pass on some info. I'm not very comfortable with grizzlies either and I heard a tip that the northern end of the Gravelly range has far fewer bears than the South end. Also the gravelies hold a shit ton of elk just not alot of big bulls supposedly

Greenhorn is right.. but as per your op bears are a possibility in a lot of those spots, personally I wouldn’t let that persuade me, just be smart and carry spray.. I have only lived in Bozeman 7 years, of the two specific spots I told to skirt property lines, 7 elk have died there by me or a person standing next to me in those 7 years.. So you can kill elk in the Bridgers. if you haven’t found a elk to kill by half way thru your trip , shoot me a pm, and I will give you gps coordinates to a tree to stand by.. in the bridgers... sorta.. half mile easy hike for your dad..

Last edited:
Those 3rd class Greenhorn drainages are better than many peoples' first. I'm sure there will be more than one person who is at those trailheads next season because of this thread.
And don't feel bad. I have worn some leather off in the Bridgers before I knew what it was like to see more than 5 elk a year. Kudos for doing a little homework and coming to the table with a spot picked out. Despite a few nut shots here and there, that's why you now have a handful of decent spots to work with.

I don't mind being the ass end of every joke in this thread, deserved or not, as long as there's something to be gained along with that.

I've been killing whitetails out treestands on flat ground for 27 years. It's easy and that's the extent of my big game hunting knowledge and I realize the scope of unknown unknowns about elk and mule deer and all other mountain hunting is vast, but I'm determined to figure it out because the pull I feel to go hunt the mountains is great. I check my ego at the door, but I don't understand the snickering, "get a load of this jackass" tone.

If you really want to help, help this jackass understand why Greenhorn's drainages are good spots and why my initial ideas are horseshit. And please don't be mistaken, Greenhorn, I certainly appreciate you steering me in the right direction, but I joined this board not hoping to be handed a fish and be fed for a day, but to learn how to fish for myself.

Phill

Your ideas are horse shit because they are. Not that you could determine such from a computer in MN, but they are. Too close to town, too much private land. Some things the locals just know.

I think you only became the butt of the joke when you didn’t heed the locals advice.

Good luck on your hunt.

Bridgers are a fine place to hunt elk. Just like every other area that has been mentioned. Just got to go hunting really the only way to figure things out.

but I joined this board not hoping to be handed a fish and be fed for a day, but to learn how to fish for myself.

Phill

No offense intended with this post, but that is exactly what Greenhorn spelled out for you. Sometimes areas look great on maps, but there are so many variables right now - not just habitat related. Local, on the ground knowledge will keep you from using up boot leather.

If the Bridger's and Bangtails look great - then have at it. I've been up and down all that country from the mid 90's, but I used it as training for getting in shape for hunting elk (and kicking around seeing country). Findng where elk are isn't always about roadless areas (que in On-X layers).

I would head south of Bozeman (if that is the center of the hunting universe right now). I know we're being vague - but if you are this determined to figure it out - then you'll take that advice and run with it.

Now you're just making shit up. Re-read the whole thing. Couldn't actually find any evidence of that happening.

/Shrug

Phill

You kinda like being a victim or what?

You got good advice. A lot more than most new guys get who pop up and ask for elk hunting ideas. And yet, you complain.

You kinda like being a victim or what?

Oh, ok. You're that guy.

Nope. No victims here. Or snowflakes, since I bet you love using that one too. All I did was state exactly what I hope to learn from this forum and that I'm not here to beg for spots. I sure as hell ain't interested in arguing with you about that or anything else, so bubye now and good day, man.

If you want to keep this thread from getting locked (and limiting any further advice), I'd recommend saying something along the lines of "Thanks for the insight folks. I really appreciate the help. I'll take it into consideration and make sure to let you know how the hunt goes." Otherwise this is going to continue to go downhill.

northstar FYI I was not ridiculing you, just stating your plans were to hunt in really terrible places. They are so close to a large town, heavily roaded, easily accessible, and so many people in this town hunt. If for some reason you must be "near bozeman" all of the Gallatin and Madison ranges, as well as this side of the absaroka range are far, far better. If you can get farther away from town the elk densities (and hunters) will be higher if you go further SW, such as the Centennial valley or the upper Gravelly and Snowcrest ranges. Call the FWP and tell them what you're looking for, ask for a biologist, but realize they might not really be an avid hunter. I would forget about saying nowhere with bears, as they may steer you right to a shit place like the bridgers. Bridgers might be good, mid November on the east side, if you had a mountain goat permit. Even the "trophy" deer permit in the bridgers is about one step up from a piece of toilet paper. Like I said originally, just can't imagine spending a bunch of time stewing over a hunt in the bridgers. Good luck.

If you really want to help, help this jackass understand why Greenhorn's drainages are good spots and why my initial ideas are horseshit. And please don't be mistaken, Greenhorn, I certainly appreciate you steering me in the right direction, but I joined this board not hoping to be handed a fish and be fed for a day, but to learn how to fish for myself.

Phill

I've had time to read this thread. Greenhorn gave the best advice one could ask for, from a guy who not only does it, but does it with amazing regularity on big bulls.

Why is his advice better than the original idea of the Bridgers? A few thoughts.

> Bridgers are the backyard range for 13,000 MSU students who come here mostly for the outdoor lifestyle. Expect the majority of them who make a hike to do it in the Bridgers.

> Bridgers are the range where most the hikers, off-season ski nuts, and dog walkers decide is the best place to go.

> Bridgers have huge private land issues, especially on the entire west side and the southeast side, where after the first shots, the elk will seek refuge.

> Bridgers don't have grizzly bears to speak of and a lot of non-resident hunters want to hunt near Bozeman without having to deal with gbears. They tend to end up in the Bridgers.

> North end of the Bridgers are huge ranches with limited hunting. Elk have figured that out and move accordingly.

> So convenient to Bozeman that every local is tempted to go there for a hike versus drive to other less crowded places, with Hyalite being even more crowded.

As to why the other places are good:

> Elk don't like people. People don't like long hikes into rough country like the places Greenhorn mentioned. Elk go where people won't hike.

> Elk don't like people. People don't like sharing the woods with grizzly bears if other options exist. Elk go where people avoid.

> Elk will find sanctuary in thicker cover, even of temporary for hunting season. Hunters, myself included, like hunting more open slopes as found in the Bridgers. Elk know that and respond accordingly.

I could continue. It is not often that a Hunt Talk thread has someone, an experienced local, lay out the base strategy that includes starting locations, as Greenhorn has. Use the advanced search function and look at the bulls he posts from each season. That will get the attention of any public land elk hunter.

Unless some amazing luck allows me to draw a limited entry tag elsewhere in MT, I can assure you that opening morning of rifle season will find my incognito rig, Honda Pilot, parked at one of the trailheads Greenhorn has mentioned.

Good luck.

EDIT: Oops, I see Greenhorn was responding at the same time. See his advice.

This topic appears to be a dead horse but I am gonna chime in anyways. I can honestly say I don't think I have seen Greenhorn open up that much on elk hunting. EVER! He's always usually got a pretty damn good one liner though. Take his advice and run with it, there's elk in the Bridgers and Bangtails, there's better areas though. I have hunted all over in there, been fortunate to harvest a few bulls and cows, a moose, and some bears. The deer tag is a eff'n joke and for that matter hunting elk in there is looking that way too. Unless you get super lucky, and the folks on the private happen to bump the "grain grazers" off and up into the hills for a night or two. Even if they do though, the elk will be right back down within a few days. Not saying it cant be done but I would look more towards P.V. or the canyon around Big Sky. Good Luck and seriously consider the advice you have received.

Don't plan your hunt around the lack of bears. Just learn how to keep a bear safe camp.

I wouldn't plan a hunt with Bozeman as a base camp for all of the reasons already mentioned. Pick one of several small towns within an hour in any direction and base your hunt from there. All of these towns will have all of the amenities that you need, including lodging and small towns love hunters. That's how they make their living.

This topic appears to be a dead horse but I am gonna chime in anyways. I can honestly say I don't think I have seen Greenhorn open up that much on elk hunting. EVER! He's always usually got a pretty damn good one liner though. Take his advice and run with it.
This is exactly what I was gonna post. mtmuley

You made Greenhorn snap and he spewed some great advice as vague as it may seem. Start researching those areas. Like I said I love the Bridgers mostly because of memories as a kid. I’ve shot multiple elk there but it’s been years ago. I’ve had the deer tag in my family the last 3 years and have scoured that mountain with glass. I saw 3 legal bulls last year on public and that was opening week. I don’t profess to be the king up there but I have payed my dues lately. Maybe you’ll prove us wrong. Good luck

Back