Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Have the Sheds Dropped in CO Yet?

I am getting excited to head to the mountains for a little shed hunting this spring. I have even put my dog through a training program to help me out. Does anyone know if the Elk have started dropping their antlers yet in Colorado? My buddy said he saw a bunch of elk last weekend still with his antlers. Any reports would be helpful.

I believe Colorado recently passed a law that makes it illegal to pick up any sheds until sometime in April. You may want to look into that.

NEW: Seasonal Restrictions for Shed Antler and Horn Collection
    ​On Thursday, ​Jan. 11, 2018, the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission voted unanimously to approve the creation of a seasonal closure on shed antler and horn collection on all public lands west of I-25 from January 1 through April 30 annually.

The seasonal restriction will take effect on all public lands west of I-25 beginning March 2, 2018.

Additionally, in order to maintain protection for the Gunnison sage-grouse, the new regulations include a closure to collection of shed antlers on public lands May 1 to May 15 from sunset to 10 a.m. in the Gunnison basin (GMU'S 54, 55, 66, 67 and 551).

The purpose of this seasonal closure is to reduce the recreational impacts from shed hunting on wintering big game animals during the time of year when deer, elk, pronghorn, and moose are most vulnerable to stress. The result of this stress can be decreased body condition, increased mortality, and decreased fawn/calf survival.

Winter can be extremely difficult on wildlife as body weight is down and access to food is very limited. The survival of wildlife relies heavily on keeping as many calories as possible until the green shoots pop up, heralding spring's return.

The Western Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies (WAFWA) has created some excellent fact sheets that help explain the impact of shed antler collection and winter range disturbance on mule deer health.

Mule Deer Shed Collection Fact Sheet
    Winter Range Disturbance Fact Sheet​

Anyone that observes illegal activity is urged to contact their local wildlife office.
    Colorado's Sexiest Elk Hunter 2009-2018
    Squirrel's and SteveE 's super secret man crush
    SSSMC-2016-2017

Your'e late to the party!
    SSSMC-2016-2017

Why would anyone tell you if they were dropping or not?

What dink said but from my personal non shed expert experience is finding them later on
    I'm turning off Real Life Drive and thats right I'm hittin Easy Street on mud tires

From my experience, the big boys normally shed the middle to end of March, the medium ones usually shed by the middle of April, and I often see spikes still holding at the beginning of May. As mentioned by others, the closure is in effect until May 1st. Unfortunately it’s another case of a few bad apples ruining it for everyone.

Thanks for all the info and I will definitely follow the guidelines the DOW has set up for shed hunting.

Middle of March is when most drop but on public it is now illegal to pick them up until May 1st, with special regulations for some specific areas. Not a terrible law to help protect wintering wildlife for most years. Good luck if/when you go!
    To what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?

Quote Originally Posted by CampRipleyLF View Post
    Middle of March is when most drop but on public it is now illegal to pick them up until May 1st, with special regulations for some specific areas. Not a terrible law to help protect wintering wildlife for most years. Good luck if/when you go!
    You are wrong. The big bulls may start in mid march but the majority dont drop until later. i see medium sized bulls still packing in mid april.

I’m seeing them in northern Colorado with all their headgear still.

I heard with the new law that all deer and elk with be holding antlers until April 31st so no one will be tempted to poach their antlers before May 1st?

Quote Originally Posted by Matty B View Post
    I heard with the new law that all deer and elk with be holding antlers until April 31st so no one will be tempted to poach their antlers before May 1st?
    Confirmed
    SSSMC-2016-2017

I also heard CPW will be gluing the antlers back on the few animals that do shed before then so no one is tempted.
    SSSMC-2016-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Matty B View Post
    April doesn't have 31 days...must be some voodoo CO business going on down there

Quote Originally Posted by Mthuntr View Post
    must be some voodoo CO business going on down there
    Confirmed
    SSSMC-2016-2017

I saw a buck this morning with one small velvet spike. No other antlers in the group. hmmmmmm

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nrpate05 View Post
    I saw a buck this morning with one small velvet spike. No other antlers in the group. hmmmmmm
    "attempting to locate" CRIMINAL!!

The other day I was sitting on a rock and Cashew comes up the hill and plops down at my feet and starts crunching on a fresh two point... now what do i do?
    Bestowing wisdom and moral purity, even on the unworthy and unwilling... especially upon them.

An ignore list??? Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose?

Saw an article this morning that wildlife agencies are starting to put GPS chips on dropped sheds to catch early shed hunters. Quite a world we live in now.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    "attempting to locate" CRIMINAL!!

The other day I was sitting on a rock and Cashew comes up the hill and plops down at my feet and starts crunching on a fresh two point... now what do i do?
    Pat him on the the head and say "Good Boy!"
    God's trying to bless America, there's just too many people getting in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by bcar View Post
    Saw an article this morning that wildlife agencies are starting to put GPS chips on dropped sheds to catch early shed hunters. Quite a world we live in now.
    source?

I saw that too on wideopen, not sure how believable it is. It looks like a copy and paste art project done in a word document. It's shared on different facebook posts in various groups, but there is no source to what it states, and Wildlife agencies do not make that statement anywhere I can find. If it were true, I think more state's would do that or at least announce it officially. Here is the only announcement I have found.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/News/Antler-she...ored-statewide

It just states they are looking for people, and it's from two years ago. If they did track and or set 'antler traps' with motion cameras, I'm sure you'd see some posts about people getting caught or they are after them. That's the best tactic, actually catch people and make an example is what I'm all for. Unfortunately a lot of people sneak out early by not knowing the rules and don't care. Either way, when someone is caught they need stiffer punishments.

Yeah it doesn't seem like a very credible source. Anyways back on topic now: I heard from a local (maybe in the Evergreen CO area? Can't remember for sure) that the elk were migrating back through past their house and some were growing this years nubs, and some hadn't shed last years racks yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bcar View Post
    Thanks.

Seems really far fetched. Especially when F&G's are dealing with budgetary issues.

I haven't seen any locals dropping this week. Most of them are just 2-3 year old deer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast