Have the Sheds Dropped in CO Yet?

ChadCab

I am getting excited to head to the mountains for a little shed hunting this spring. I have even put my dog through a training program to help me out. Does anyone know if the Elk have started dropping their antlers yet in Colorado? My buddy said he saw a bunch of elk last weekend still with his antlers. Any reports would be helpful.

I believe Colorado recently passed a law that makes it illegal to pick up any sheds until sometime in April. You may want to look into that.

NEW: Seasonal Restrictions for Shed Antler and Horn Collection
​On Thursday, ​Jan. 11, 2018, the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission voted unanimously to approve the creation of a seasonal closure on shed antler and horn collection on all public lands west of I-25 from January 1 through April 30 annually.

The seasonal restriction will take effect on all public lands west of I-25 beginning March 2, 2018.

Additionally, in order to maintain protection for the Gunnison sage-grouse, the new regulations include a closure to collection of shed antlers on public lands May 1 to May 15 from sunset to 10 a.m. in the Gunnison basin (GMU'S 54, 55, 66, 67 and 551).

The purpose of this seasonal closure is to reduce the recreational impacts from shed hunting on wintering big game animals during the time of year when deer, elk, pronghorn, and moose are most vulnerable to stress. The result of this stress can be decreased body condition, increased mortality, and decreased fawn/calf survival.

Winter can be extremely difficult on wildlife as body weight is down and access to food is very limited. The survival of wildlife relies heavily on keeping as many calories as possible until the green shoots pop up, heralding spring's return.

The Western Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies (WAFWA) has created some excellent fact sheets that help explain the impact of shed antler collection and winter range disturbance on mule deer health.

Mule Deer Shed Collection Fact Sheet
Winter Range Disturbance Fact Sheet​

Anyone that observes illegal activity is urged to contact their local wildlife office.

What dink said but from my personal non shed expert experience is finding them later on

From my experience, the big boys normally shed the middle to end of March, the medium ones usually shed by the middle of April, and I often see spikes still holding at the beginning of May. As mentioned by others, the closure is in effect until May 1st. Unfortunately it’s another case of a few bad apples ruining it for everyone.

Middle of March is when most drop but on public it is now illegal to pick them up until May 1st, with special regulations for some specific areas. Not a terrible law to help protect wintering wildlife for most years. Good luck if/when you go!

Middle of March is when most drop but on public it is now illegal to pick them up until May 1st, with special regulations for some specific areas. Not a terrible law to help protect wintering wildlife for most years. Good luck if/when you go!

You are wrong. The big bulls may start in mid march but the majority dont drop until later. i see medium sized bulls still packing in mid april.

I also heard CPW will be gluing the antlers back on the few animals that do shed before then so no one is tempted.

I saw a buck this morning with one small velvet spike. No other antlers in the group. hmmmmmm

I saw a buck this morning with one small velvet spike. No other antlers in the group. hmmmmmm

"attempting to locate" CRIMINAL!!

The other day I was sitting on a rock and Cashew comes up the hill and plops down at my feet and starts crunching on a fresh two point... now what do i do?

Saw an article this morning that wildlife agencies are starting to put GPS chips on dropped sheds to catch early shed hunters. Quite a world we live in now.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back