Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Packable non mummy bag

Dieseldog

Title says it all. Any good non mummy bags that are pretty packable? I hate mummy bags!

This isn't necessarily completely answering your question, but I generally hate mummy bags as well. However, I bought an REI down bag and got the extra tall (I'm 6'5") and extra wide version. It's actually really comfortable and worth checking into.

I too have not like mummy bags. They always seem too tight. I tried a klymit ksb oversized bag and I was big enough that I was comfortable in it. The foot area has stretch too it that lets me more my feet around. An its not too tight on the shoulders. I'm 250 and 6'1" with broad sholders. Hope this helps I know ita not what you asked for.

Big Agnes makes some nice, big sized pack bags... Mummy or not.

I have a big agnes deer park? Or something like that its a 15 degree tall/fat bag and i really like it. Is a little bulky/heavy but so am i, plenty of room for my big feet. It has a slot for your pad so you have to use a insulated pad so factor that also. Nice thing is i never slide off pad.

No one particularly likes mummy bags. Hence the name. But there are reasons why virtually everyone serious about backcountry camping uses them. And why it is so difficult to find a suitable alternative.

Down quilts work for warm seasons. But you will want a good down mummy bag is you do any cold weather backcountry overnights.

I recently picked up a Sea to Summit Base Camp 5 degree down bag that is rectangular. I haven't had a chance to use it, hope to soon. It does pack down fairly small and isn't too painfully heavy. My first impression indoors is that it should work.

I'm a big guy, I have a 54" chest and huge shoulders so I was incredibly limited when I was shopping for a new bag last year, I literally didn't fit in most. I went with the big Agnes lost ranger, awesome bag for bigger guys with some room to move and still packs nice and small.

I too am a big boned guy and struggled to find super light compressible bags. If shopping today would probably look hard at the referenced Agnes bags, but that one I found at the time that was a reasonable compromise was the Montbell Down Hugger 650 Long -- super light and compressible but was stitched in a weird spiral pattern that really let it open up nicely. If you need less restricting but low weight and full coverage it is worth a look.

I'm a HUGE fan of my Nemo Riff. I hate mummy bags too, but I love having a hood and a place to tuck my head under/into. It's a hybrid "spoon shaped" sleeping bag. wide in the shoulders, narrower at the waist and flared at the feet. I like to sleep on my side/stomach and side and it worked great. Used mine this last elk season @ 10k feet.

6'4" 250lbs, and I got a Big Agnes 15F bag with synthetic down in the long version, and it had treated me well. I'm not a mummy guy either. Just make sure you get an insulated pad if you go with BA.

Title says it all. Any good non mummy bags that are pretty packable? I hate mummy bags!

If you havent make a decision yet - this is the best one out there IMO. Cant beat their price of a custom made bag. Tons of thru hikers swear by them. My bag is the revelation 10 degree long and wide and its 22 oz so basically noting. Never again mummy bags!

https://enlightenedequipment.com/made-to-order/

I started with a mummy bag for backpack hunts and after on season changes the bag to be rectangular and to be tall version. Now, when gets very cold out, I can slide way down in the bag, put on my stocking cap and eyepatch and put in earplugs and sometimes a baklava if is brutally cold. I also only get a bag that zips from bottom and from top so can let some air circulate below the knees as the really warm bags can make my feet sweat.

I am not sure of my sleeping bag brand but I researched to get a bag rated to around 10F. I place a pad under the bag which helps for comfort and warmth when ground is frozen. I also use a flat sheet inside the bag. Have been known to put on wool socks a time or two and pile every bit of extra clothes on top of the bag to keep some additional warmth inside the bag. I made a half-width pillow that is thin but has memory foam. I then stuff a shirt or two or a jacket under the pillow inside the pillowcase and is easy for me to get good sleep. I would rather deal with a bit more weight and sleep soundly that be out for 5 nights getting a couple of hours sleep each night. I need to get rested. Am not a young whipper snapper anymore. The ear plugs and eyepatch may things quiet and dark which also makes it easy to sleep even on a full moon night with the crickets are chirping.

The only night I did not sleep well with my setup was when I got a late start getting my sleeping bag and pad set up and was cold and windy so picked the leeward side of a massive tree. I would wake up to bugs scurrying across my face and body. I just squished them. Apparently the warmth of the pad and bag was a magnet for insects to venture out and about from the pine needles.

couple with a good (insulating) bag. Quilts, as mentioned above, are a great alternative to mummy bags - and can be just as warm

Back