Caribou Gear

Do you think Utah points are worth it?

Agree with joel.. also the license is good for a year and if you apply early you can get 2 years of points on one license.

So the license is good for one year from the date you purchase it? Am I getting that right? And then if I apply at least a day earlier next year then that license would be good for it?

When is this going to happen?

"What we need is better hunter recruitment so we all get to sit at home all fall"

Dinkshooter-March 2018

Well... I for one am doing my part... every day I wake up I am one step closer to the grave. Likely one bonus point richer too... THANKS ARIZONA! lol

Funny you mention the sitting at home part... back in the Moosie days of the Fantasy Hunt, I believe my team's name was the Benchwarmers because we hardly ever drew tags....

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, I have 21 elk points in UT. I plan on using them in the next few years and then getting out of UT altogether. There is no way I would start on the ground floor right now!

So the license is good for one year from the date you purchase it? Am I getting that right? And then if I apply at least a day earlier next year then that license would be good for it?

I have done that in the past yes. Apply the first year at the end of the drawing period then the next year at the beginning of the draw.

For what it’s worth, I have 21 elk points in UT. I plan on using them in the next few years and then getting out of UT altogether. There is no way I would start on the ground floor right now!

What if you shoot a 360+ bull and have an outstanding hunt. Do you feel it will be worth it then?

I am 28 and have 5 Utah points. I figure if I wait 20 more years I will be in a good position for a fun hunt. I plan on hunting elk and deer every Fall in some states but I am in it for the long haul in other states states such as Utah. I break it down to every year hunts, every 5 year years type of hunts, and OIL hunts.

What if you shoot a 360+ bull and have an outstanding hunt. Do you feel it will be worth it then?

I am 28 and have 5 Utah points. I figure if I wait 20 more years I will be in a good position for a fun hunt. I plan on hunting elk and deer every Fall in some states but I am in it for the long haul in other states states such as Utah. I break it down to every year hunts, every 5 year years type of hunts, and OIL hunts.

I think that's kind of what my plan is. I realize that it will likely be a couple decades before I can get a OIL hunt in Utah, but frankly, I wouldn't have the time to devote to that kind of tag right now anyway. I've got a 10month old at home, am busy at work, and can only get out for a week at most. In 20-25 years I'll be retired, kid will be in school and my wife will probably be thrilled to get me out of the house for several weeks. At $50/year for Elk/Mule Deer combined, I think it's worth a shot. I know some states like Arizona might have better hunts sooner, but I'm having a hard time justifying that $160 license every single year just for a bonus point - that's a lot of cash that adds up fast.

At $50/year for Elk/Mule Deer combined, I think it's worth a shot. I know some states like Arizona might have better hunts sooner, but I'm having a hard time justifying that $160 license every single year just for a bonus point - that's a lot of cash that adds up fast.

One thing guaranteed for Utah, and the rest of the Western states, the price to play will only be going in one direction over the next 20 years; as well as changing the game along the way.

In UT, I have 17, 16, 9 and 9 for what I want to chase. Hopefully retirement is 9 years away and then I can get very serious.

It really depends on what you want.

I drew Bull Elk with 6 points. I have drawn general deer and cow elk tags. I have enough points to draw a swan tag. I should draw another general deer tag this year. I have enough points to draw antelope. I will probably not draw any of the OIL's, but I may put in for one of the late season ML Deer hunts in the future. There are tags to be drawn and being a 50/50 pref/bonus point system there is always a chance. I live next to the border and the general deer hunt dates work well for me as an additional tag. (I would recommend ML or archery over rifle)

If you are looking to hunt elk during the rut with a rifle in the San Juan, hunt the Pauns/Henrys with a rifle, or hunt an of the OIL species then it is probably not worth your time to apply.

There’s no way I’d stay in with only 5 points. Unless you already apply in Wy, Co & Az and have lots of disposable income. Or are happy just making F&G donations.

There’s no way I’d stay in with only 5 points. Unless you already apply in Wy, Co & Az and have lots of disposable income. Or are happy just making F&G donations.

I do already build points in WY, CO, and AZ. I don’t have a ton of disposable income but I prioritize investing in “future fun” over having nice things right now. And yes I have a mindset that it’s a donation and my odds will only decrease.

I’m curious with all your points you must have recently had some fun hunts or should have some coveted hunts coming up? What’s your plan of action with all thos points? Do you regret building points?

I hope to be in your points situation some day in certain states so I’m interested in your opinion.

Not everyone chases the "glory" hunts which you clearly do being that you have 300+ points built up across the west.

I have two friends who have drawn 2 good mule deer tags in UT the past two seasons with far less than 5 points each. I was able to join on one of them and it was was of the most fun and exciting hunts I've ever experienced. I will continue to make donations. Anyone can draw at any time and there are fun hunts to be had outside of trying to get a tag that allows you to rifle a bull elk in mid September.

Greenhorn - Haha it was absolutely amazing! I ended up only taking a meat bull on 2nd to last day, but I guess I'm to the point I don't care any more. I got 4 big ones on the wall and standards are pretty high. I passed on more 320"+ bulls in easy bow range than any hunt I've ever been on. Finally ended up getting a wide open shot at a 360" in a wide open meadow w/4' grass, but failed to pull out the range finder when I should have. Shot clean over back at 40 yards. He jumped the string too. But good thing was clean miss. Chased a 400" & 380" the first three days but could not get quite the quality angle. Hunted 60% from the ground, 40% tree stand over wallows. Tree stand hunting much more effective. Met a great local retired guide who helped me out when my jeep motor burned up due to a pack rat nest. Guided a local lady on her rifle hunt while I waited for jeep repair. Overall fantastic hunt, worth the wait.

mr. steve - Yes & no. I regret ever buying into Oregon hands down, but should finally be able to burn those and exit any year. If things remain the same I am glad I bought in for most, but not all. Hit & miss. due to my divorce, I will likely never be able to retire. But luckily, I have an enormous amount of freedom with my job. Totally independent work from home & travel local three state area. I can get off over 2 months/fall for whatever I draw. Also incredibly lucky with my marriage. Wife is Chinese and owns a condo in Sichuan. She will retire in June and move here, but return each fall and stay there 3 months/year, depending on what hunts I draw. Some years she may accompany me on a hunt if it's easy terrain. So if my job holds up, it makes all the hunt points I bought a good deal now. But I'm also not as in good a shape, and not passionate about taking high scoring trophies. I just want enjoyable hunts. Overall I'm glad I bought in when I did, but only because of my unique life situation. I must also say I drew my best tags early. Despite having more points each year, I draw fewer great tags than I used to. Some of this is due to luck, but most is due to morphing draw systems, devalued points, more applicants, more outfitter welfare, more auction tags, lower NR quotas, etc. I guess funny thing is I will burn 20 points on a hunt, and don't care if I pass on everything and eat the tag. Just the way it is. In that manner maybe not worth the time & money I invested?

BlakeA - I don't chase glory hunts with all my points. For sheep I actually pick the lowest quality hunts in every state just hoping to hunt one some day. In others I've burned my points earlier and apply for opportunity hunts like AZ elk this year I chose 1 late rifle & 6A archery. I shot a 330" bull in a NM low tier unit not even mentioned in HF. There are some good hunts out there for low points. I know several I apply for every year but won't mention. But there are also a lot of dogs. Been there, done some. Ultimately, I have a few glory hunts I am definitely holding out for, but not most of my picks. Mix & match every year.

I think that's kind of what my plan is. I realize that it will likely be a couple decades before I can get a OIL hunt in Utah, but frankly, I wouldn't have the time to devote to that kind of tag right now anyway. I've got a 10month old at home, am busy at work, and can only get out for a week at most. In 20-25 years I'll be retired, kid will be in school and my wife will probably be thrilled to get me out of the house for several weeks. At $50/year for Elk/Mule Deer combined, I think it's worth a shot. I know some states like Arizona might have better hunts sooner, but I'm having a hard time justifying that $160 license every single year just for a bonus point - that's a lot of cash that adds up fast.

I am thankful I started applying for NR tags across the West for my family and myself when I did. We have a lot of opportunity now, but it came with a serious investment of funds. I didn’t realize when I started building points how much the the rules would change for NR’s (not for the better) and UT is one of the worst in my opinion for taking away NR opportunity (SFW and UT Game and Fish in bed together, with state politicians looking the other way)! I never started buildings points in UT for my kids because I don’t have much faith in UT and when friends ask my opinion about starting there we discuss better options.

I am looking forward to a good elk hunt in UT soon, but just wouldn’t start there again is all.

Pray SFW stays in UT and doesn’t spread to other states, it is the equivalent of cancer.

I'm going to resurrect this nearly Year old post as I sit in my no-man's land on points.

My personal goal is to
1)hunt each of the 11 Western States (7 so far)
2) kill a bull elk in each of them (4 so far)
3) Kill one each of the 13 Western Species (6 so far)

At 44 years old, I've been denied by Utah for the last 11 years annually. But as my hit list of states dwindles, I'm seeing my likelihood of drawing a tag dwindle as well.

After a divorce induced 2 year hiatus, I'm feeling really rusty on my application strategies. I'm feeling like applying for a tag and hoping I can beat the odds....

Here is how I look at it after over two decades applying in most of the Western states. A "dream" elk tag will take 20 to 30 years as a non-resident to draw in most states with a point system if you have 0 points now. Dream tag for elk to me is a rifle rut hunt with a high harvest rate hunt of 325+ class bulls on public land. What will those 20 to 30 years cost in application fees, general hunting license fees, conservation fees, credit card convenience fees, it is a Tuesday fee, and then the cost of the tag in a decade or three since states are raising fees on non-residents a heck of a lot faster than wage growth?

Moose, goat and sheep are worse than elk odds and waits.

Deer a bit better.

Pronghorn a lot better.

If your dream hunt for elk is getting out in the woods with a tag in your pocket and getting even one shot opportunity on any branched-antlered 260+ class bull and you can use a bow and do not mind seeing a few orange vests in each mountain basin and maybe hearing a few ATVs zoom by each day then you can draw your elk tag every year. We each have our own goals and different ideas of what makes for a nice adventure.

This is a forum that embraces hunting on public lands. I feel this is the best Western hunting forum, period. My most rewarding hunts have been solo on public lands. Here is the bump in the road. I add up the costs of applying for an extra 10 or 20 years for elk in a state like Wyoming knowing costs will go up faster than inflation and that estimated total to get that dream hunt makes it easy to compromise on my preference to hunt public. So I hunt private at times. I think the cost about washes for dream elk hunts yet I can hunt several years sooner for my version of a dream elk hunt.

Deer, and especially pronghorn, dream hunts for me are not 20 year waits to get on public land chasing big critters with high harvest rates so I am usually content to be patient and wait for the tag gods to favor me.

Elk, though, calls me to the dark side. I see my 15 points in CO now and know am over a decade and maybe two from true blue ribbon rifle hunts on public there but can scratch a check this year and draw a tag that will set me up for a dream hunt on private before I turn 60 rather than a similar quality of hunt though after I turn 70. Heck, no guarantee CO does not change the allocation of tags or cost of applying or cost of tag so my "cheat the system" approach is easier to financially justify.

Public, especially, solo is the ultimate for me. Bull elk are big when they hit the ground, though, and the 70 year old version of me might not be able to use the tag at all. There are some hunts I did in my 40s that I would struggle to do today so waiting a decade is not merely a matter of being patient. My 2 cents.

If you have the money, give it a shot. One of my big regrets is not getting in UT way back. I'd have 21 points by now and I am in the peak of my hunting career (as in, it's all downhill from here, I fear!). So I'd LOVE to be sitting there.... alas no. Another of my big regrets, originates in one of my greatest moves. I got in on the ground flood for WY elk and antelope. I burned those points early on a couple nice hunts... but then I lapsed! What an idiot I was. I would now be sitting with 8 or 9 elk points and 6 or 7 antelope points. Those would also be nice to have. In CO, I burned near max points on a muley hunt. And am sitting on max for antelope. I regret burning two elk points in 1999 - those two have now become CRITICAL shortages as I now suffer annual point creep. Sooooo... my POINT is... you can never have enough points in enough places. As I have heard said, "the best time to plant a tree was 50 years ago... the second best time is today"

But the trick is to still hunt OTC or 2nd choice units during the time it takes to draw "better" tags.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back