Do you think Utah points are worth it?

AtenJones

I'm 34, and just now starting to get into western hunting. I have 1 point each for Elk, Mule Deer, and Antelope in Wyoming, and that's it. I'd like to start building points for both short and long term options, and I'm looking at different states. Utah seems fairly reasonable in their pricing structure - but from what I've seen - you're going to need a heap of points to get into any really good units. So, do you think it's worth it to get started now, or am I too late? Are there many solid unit options that don't take 20 years to draw, and do you think the 20+point units are worth spending the next two decades writing checks to the state? I'm fine with saving up for a long-term plan, and it'd definitely be cool to have an awesome hunt lined up for when I retire, but I'm just trying to figure out all the options before buying these. Also, if points are only $10/species - what species are you applying for? Makes sense to me to get the most bang for my buck if I'm already fronting the $65 license. Deer and Elk are obvious, but what about Antelope, etc? I know Randy has like 37 Utah Antelope points.

Thanks!

You'll be 54 with 20 points. If you take care of yourself you'll still be in good shape to hunt at that age.

Agree with joel.. also the license is good for a year and if you apply early you can get 2 years of points on one license.

Absolutely. Can't draw if you don't apply. You could get lucky the first year applying.

I think it depends on your hunting goals are. Are you looking for go to a certain spot for a certain specie every five years or are you going for once in a lifetime hunts?

I think it depends on your hunting goals are. Are you looking for go to a certain spot for a certain specie every five years or are you going for once in a lifetime hunts?

I’m looking for a mix. I think I can swing 1 western Hunt per year. Maybe 2, if I really play my cards right. I plan on primarily hunting elk - simply because if I’m going that far, I’d like to be able to bring home as much meat as possible. But, I’d also like to work on Mule Deer and the occasional Antelope too. Moose would obviously be awesome, but I don’t really “get” sheep hunting, and I’m cool with keeping it that way so I don’t light more money on fire!

So - to answer your question. I would like to hunt every year, primarily elk, but also Muleys. I’m trying to build a strategy that includes both opportunity and the chance for quality every few years as well. I may be trying to do too much, but that’s where I’m at right now.

Hope that makes sense!

Tough call IMO. I'm usually all about telling people to apply, but I don't know.

There is always a chance, but this is my 20th year applying for Utah and I still haven't drawn a single tag there. I apply for elk, deer, sheep, and bison...but in fairness I chase the top tags.

I think anyone just entering the draw better focus on the mid-tier stuff unless you want to pay for hunts with a social security check....probably what I'll be doing and I have a 20 year head start on you.

Just my opinion IF you can swing it I would go hunt Otc units while I'm building points if I were you. Colorado, Idaho possibly Montana depending on the budget I just think too many guys sit on the back burner for so many years building high point totals and then drawing that 20 plus point tag and not having the experience to do the tag justice you said you can swing one western hunt a year... Some really good units can be had in Wyoming without reaching max points so 5-8 years down the road I think Wyoming would be a really good option.

I think UTs worth the cost of the points. In my strategy though, it's far from an opportunity state. I put in for the "blue chip" units as a way of getting points and will gladly accept a tag if I beat the odds. I'm building points for the mid-tier type units, many of which can provide some very good hunts IMO. If you insist on chasing only the best/most famous units you're gonna have to get lucky, because at this stage you'll never catch up to be in the top point holder pool.

Great - thanks so much for all the input! I decided that I'll go ahead and jump in. Just one more question - I see options for General and Limited Entry Deer points. I'm obviously going to buy a LE point, but should I add a general point as well? I don't know that I'll actually get out for a general hunt any time soon, and I don't want to buy it, and then lose it if I don't keep buying them every year.

Thanks!

Great - thanks so much for all the input! I decided that I'll go ahead and jump in. Just one more question - I see options for General and Limited Entry Deer points. I'm obviously going to buy a LE point, but should I add a general point as well? I don't know that I'll actually get out for a general hunt any time soon, and I don't want to buy it, and then lose it if I don't keep buying them every year.
Thanks!

You don’t lose your points like that in Utah. My Dad put me in for points in Utah years ago, and when I started applying there myself a couple years ago I still had those old points—which was pretty sweet.

Did anyone happen to notice the odds for the 3 NR Henry deer tags? LOL!

I have 16 elk points, pretty sure if I ever pull a elk tag in Utah I'm done for good.

Could be worse... Zion sheep tag is 1 in 4,600.

Its pretty much like playing for the powerball jackpot, some idiot has to get lucky and be the statistical anomaly.

On a positive note though... with low levels of new hunter recruitment and top point pool hunters dying of old age... the odds may get better...

Last edited:
Just saw a YouTube video in which Randy gives his opinion that Utah is no longer a good place to buy in from the ground floor. I agree. Especially if you have only been doing Wyoming. There are much better places to invest your coin before you should be doing Utah. Based on today's systems, Wyoming, Colorado & Arizona are the better values for your money. You should be investing in all of these before you consider adding Utah. Of course everything can change with time. You are guaranteed absolutely nothing from any state when you buy in. They can and will devalue your points down the road with outfitter welfare, converting tags to auction, etc. all of which water down NR quotas. There's nobody to stop them from doing this. It's not like they have to operate with private industry restraints. This is my opinion based on applying in 10+ states for the last 22 years. I've got over 300 points currently, including tons of diluted Utah ones. I will actually be opting out of Utah once I burn my elk & 21 deer points. All the other points are near worthless given the Powerball odds. Good luck because you will need a pile of it in Utah, unless maybe you know one of their corrupt politicians or wildlife org higher ups.

To many good tags out there to worry about long odds and 25+ year waits (and all the $). There are few tags worth waiting and paying for more than 5 or 6 years with OTC idaho/co, MT combos and Wyoming general/region tags. There are some great hunts out there with some stud critters if your willing to work for it. If sheep goat moose etc are what your after apply (idaho) and hope to win lottery but they have become so expensive to build points, be cheaper to just travel north... i hunt several states every year cause thats what i enjoy: i draw tags i know if i out work most i will use tag and guess what it works.... cheaper, less stress and more rewarding. Everyone one needs a plan that fits them and their style. Good luck

Of the states that require applicants to purchase a non-refundable license to apply, Utah is the lowest on the list when measured by the total cost incurred to eventually draw a tag and the very low odds of drawing. If budget is limited to the point of having to pick and chose which states you apply to, Utah is the last place I would allocate that money. If budgets are not limiting, then roll the dice.

It costs $52.50 to apply for LE elk and deer (averaged over a 2 year period) in Utah. I look at it as a slightly expensive raffle ticket.

On a positive note though... with low levels of new hunter recruitment and top point pool hunters dying of old age... the odds may get better...

I've always wondered what the age distribution is of point holders. I like to gamble on the hunting draw systems so I play even though I know the odds are bad (can't win if you don't play, right?). That being said I stay positive and think about the changes from people dropping out or less people jumping in... might be wishful thinking though.

When is this going to happen?

"What we need is better hunter recruitment so we all get to sit at home all fall"

Dinkshooter-March 2018

I have 16 elk points, pretty sure if I ever pull a elk tag in Utah I'm done for good.

Pretty crazy odds. My neighbors buddy is 1 of 6 left in the top point pool he has been trying to pull it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back