Minnesotan and son adventuring out west

toggy

Hey all,

My 12 -year-old son and I have hatched a plan to hunt antelope in fall 2018. He'll be almost 13. He's completed hunter education and he has 5 whitetails under his belt. We're considering heading to north central or northeastern Wyoming.

It's a little daunting because we have to learn a new set of rules and I have to find a place for us to hunt safely. We're just getting started on research.

We're don't have a lot of extra cash so we can't get a guide but we are considering connecting with an informal guide of sorts. At the very least we can offer up a knife as barter:

https://www.facebook.com/WurdockCustomKnives/

Even if we don't take an animal we're excited as heck about the adventure.

Tom

You don’t need a informal guide, a little searching on here will give you all the info you need to go and have a good time with your son. Most of the time it is just the experience of western hunting that makes the memories. You will see a ton of antelope in your travel and by the end of your trip whether you harvest one or not it will be very self rewarding. Welcome to the forum

Welcome! I think you have a great plan. Wyoming antelope is such a fun hunt. It can be hot so be ready to get the skin off the antelope right away if possible. Also bring shooting sticks as you will be working around sage brush and will need a steady rest with some height.

Good luck!

Welcome aboard. That’s a good choice for a first out of state hunt. Let me know if you have questions as you get into the research!

Welcome aboard! You'll have a great time in Wyoming for a first western hunt. There's a ton of good information on this forum as well.

Good luck!

Welcome! Wyoming pronghorn is an excellent first western hunt, the odds are in your favor. A little research and you should be ready to go, there is public land to be had even in the units labeled difficult public access.

Welcome to the forum! WY lope is a great idea for a first western hunt for not much cash. We always camp out on the BLM to save on hotels and gas from driving back to town. Good luck and have fun!

Pronghorn hunting has one of the highest success rates for big game hunting in the country. I would encourage you to look at areas with lots of leftover doe tags. They are cheaper and there are more of them, plus you won't have any pressure to shoot a big one.

Welcome from another MN.....Been out West a few times, let me know if you have any questions. No need to bribe me with a knife :)

Hey thanks all for the welcome. I have already learned a lot. Sounds much more feasible than I first thought if I plan properly. I have several tasks for now. Our family camping vacation this summer might be a scouting trip to WY.

This is a way for us to break in and eventually go for elk too.

Hey thanks all for the welcome. I have already learned a lot. Sounds much more feasible than I first thought if I plan properly. I have several tasks for now. Our family camping vacation this summer might be a scouting trip to WY.

This is a way for us to break in and eventually go for elk too.

If you haven't been to the Black Hills in SD I highly recommend. You could stop by Devils Tower too. Pair that with some antelope scouting in Wyoming and I think you have a great family vacation.

Welcome! Wyoming pronghorn is an excellent first western hunt, the odds are in your favor. A little research and you should be ready to go, there is public land to be had even in the units labeled difficult public access.

Are those the zones that often have leftover tags?

Welcome !! Great to hear Dad and Jr. hunting together. Life long memories for certain !! Keep Jr. involved with the planning - that's half the fun !!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back